Is Alcoa the best team in any Classification?

a-town1408

We should keep in mind that South Panola plays in the largest and most difficult class in Mississippi – a state that, over the years, has, quite frankly, had Tennessee’s number in head-to-head matchups. 2009 is a different year, and while South Panola might not be widely considered the class of Mississippi this year, Maryville is not widely considered the class of Tennessee this year either, especially since each, for the first time in years, has a regular season loss. And yet, either winning a title in their respective states wouldn’t shock many. Nevertheless, let’s keep in mind that, considering the parallels of the two “big name” opponents on each team’s schedule, any indictment of the quality of a 2009 win over South Panola is probably just as much, if not more than, an indictment of a 2009 win over Maryville.

RRR, you have always impressed me with your knowledge of the high school game, but I'm afraid I have to disagree with you, only slightly though, about Mississippi having Tennessee's number over the years. It's true that S. Panola and Olive Branch have beaten up on the likes of Memphis East, Melrose, Germantown, and even MUS in year's past, but those were the years that Memphis didn't have the quality of teams that Nashville had. MBA and BA would've given those two much better games. If you remember BA has beaten Meridian, which was a top Mississippi team in years past and is this year. So, technically, yes, Mississippi has an edge over Tennessee in head-to-head matchups, but they never played the better MBAs and BAs frequently like they did the Memphis teams. This year Olive Branch is not as strong as Madison Central and S. Panola. I would also say that S. Panola is slightly stronger than Maryville this year. S.Panola/Central will be a great game....just like MUS/Ensworth will be.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, back on to the subject at hand. First, let me begin by saying this is probably the best Alcoa team I have ever seen assembled.

Are you forgetting "Shannon Mitchell and Billy Williams"? And what about "Duck and Brandon Warren"? What about "James Rainer, Michael George, and Messy"? --- This Alcoa team is great...dont get me wrong, but I dont think they could have beaten any of those 3 great Alcoa teams. That 89 team with Shannon and Billy might be one of the best teams to ever come out of Tennessee. They were ranked in the top 15 in the country by USA Today and beat Brentwood Academy back before all this class mess! I think this years team deserves a lot of credit and praise, but to say they are the best Alcoa team ever is stretching it a bit...they are definately top 5 to play at Alcoa.

Are you forgetting "Shannon Mitchell and Billy Williams"? And what about "Duck and Brandon Warren"? What about "James Rainer, Michael George, and Messy"? --- This Alcoa team is great...dont get me wrong, but I dont think they could have beaten any of those 3 great Alcoa teams. That 89 team with Shannon and Billy might be one of the best teams to ever come out of Tennessee. They were ranked in the top 15 in the country by USA Today and beat Brentwood Academy back before all this class mess! I think this years team deserves a lot of credit and praise, but to say they are the best Alcoa team ever is stretching it a bit...they are definately top 5 to play at Alcoa.

Hate to keep referring back to cal preps, but they say this team would beat the '03 & '04 teams that Duck & BW were on. Don't know about the others, it only goes back to '01.

RRR, you have always impressed me with your knowledge of the high school game, but I'm afraid I have to disagree with you, only slightly though, about Mississippi having Tennessee's number over the years. It's true that S. Panola and Olive Branch have beaten up on the likes of Memphis East, Melrose, Germantown, and even MUS in year's past, but those were the years that Memphis didn't have the quality of teams that Nashville had. MBA and BA would've given those two much better games. If you remember BA has beaten Meridian, which was a top Mississippi team in years past and is this year. So, technically, yes, Mississippi has an edge over Tennessee in head-to-head matchups, but they never played the better MBAs and BAs frequently like they did the Memphis teams. This year Olive Branch is not as strong as Madison Central and S. Panola. I would also say that S. Panola is slightly stronger than Maryville this year. S.Panola/Central will be a great game....just like MUS/Ensworth will be.

Can't disagree with you there...while Mississippi has won a disproportionate share of its games against Tennessee schools, in many cases, we are sending primarily our Memphis-area schools against schools from all over Mississippi. I think it's fair to say that, of the main areas of Tennessee, Memphis programs are behind Knoxville-area and Nashville-area programs in terms of talent, so Mississippi isn't necessary getting a good geographical sample of Tennessee schools to play.

Not sure bout Cal Preps, but I have seen every one of those teams play every game and watched all of this years...other than maybe the offensive line I dont see any way this team can beat any of those 3. If this team ever fell behind to where they had to just completely abandon the run and pass, I believe they would be in trouble. Those previous teams mentioned all had a few options at reciever and could throw just as well as they run the ball. Again, this team is great and does what they need to do to win convincingly. And in the long run, who really cares right? Just win another gold ball!

I have been following this thread for a while. All I can say is step up when up when scheduling time comes up again. There will not be anybody calling Alcoa to schedule a game. There would be alot of match ups that would be interesting. MUS VS ALCOA in Murfreesboro, Dobyns-Bennet at ETSU, Red Bank or South Pittsburg at Finlay, Trousdale @ TTU and the best one Riverdale at MTSU.......But heck the Tornadoes can not even get Heritage or William Blount to play.

That 89 team with Shannon and Billy might be one of the best teams to ever come out of Tennessee. They were ranked in the top 15 in the country by USA Today and beat Brentwood Academy back before all this class mess!

Deion, I'll give you the 89 team. I stand corrected on that one, but I think this year's team would beat the 03 and 04 teams. I wish Tennessee would go back to that 3 class playoff system. We had REAL state champs back then. Not these watered down champs we will have this year. At least go back to 4 classes, right?

Now, back on to the subject at hand. First, let me begin by saying this is probably the best Alcoa team I have ever seen assembled.

The 98 team is still the best to come out of Alcoa :excl:

"Can't disagree with you there...while Mississippi has won a disproportionate share of its games against Tennessee schools, in many cases, we are sending primarily our Memphis-area schools against schools from all over Mississippi. I think it's fair to say that, of the main areas of Tennessee, Memphis programs are behind Knoxville-area and Nashville-area programs in terms of talent, so Mississippi isn't necessary getting a good geographical sample of Tennessee schools to play."

Probabaly the dumbest most un-informed post I have ever read here. I would put Memphis talent against any school you wish to put up overall. Good grief that was stupid.

Probabaly the dumbest most un-informed post I have ever read here. I would put Memphis talent against any school you wish to put up overall. Good grief that was stupid.

My mistake. I meant Memphis programs were behind the Nashville and Knoxville programs.

I am so sorry. Please forgive me. I am so ashamed. That was stupid.

I'd like to know why you think that was the most uniformed post someone has ever made. RRR has definitely proven to everyone on these boards that he very well informed. MUS is about all Memphis has to offer until basketball season. Also, I certainly hope that when you said overall you were strictly referring to Tennessee. If you want to talk nationally you won't stand a chance......Let's hear what you have to say, Mr. Omniscient.