Is Alcoa the best team in any Classification?

a-town1408

Just like the answer to "how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?" The world will never know :hungry: but let me throw some fuel on the flame...I've been in the Maryland area for over 20 years and I will say this-there is a private school here that is ranked in the top 20 nationally almost every season that I wouldn't give 17-20 over Alcoa. Polls are just like this thread full of guesses, hypothesis, conjecture, personal opinion, fantasy and subjective assumptions.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GCP, If I may be serious for a second, while I respect your knowledge of HS football, you keep throwing out that MUS has beaten both South Panola and Olive Branch...You do know that neither is the top ranked team in MS this year right?

While both are still outstanding programs, neither are in the class of Madison Central this year.

As a matter of fact, OB is ranked fifth in 5A behind Meridian and CLINTON who MC absolutely hammed this year....I was there and saw it myself.

Could The F5 beat MUS this year, who knows, but I know that you and a lot of other people would pay to see it, which means that no one knows who would win.

Now back to stirring the pot.stirthepot.gif

Actually, you are half right. Olive Branch is not in the same class as Madison Central, but South Panola is(talent wise.) South Panola has blown out everyone they've faced, with the exception of MUS. They beat Olive Branch 34-6. On the other hand Madison Central actually struggled a little with Melrose 43-28. Melrose isn't that good this year. So, MUS going into Batesville and beating South Panola is a huge win. In Mississippi the top 5 in 6A are S. Panola, Madison Central, Meridian, Olive Branch, Clinton. A lot of people think this might be the year Madison Central finally breaks through and takes state, but they still have to beat S. Panola. The Tigers are going to be very tough to beat in the playoffs. That will be one heck of a state championship game if it happens.

AlcoasPaintedBridge - I agree with OmahaVol. The main if not the only reason S Panola has not been number one in MS is because they have a loss - to MUS! - and Madison Central is unbeaten, so your point is rather pointless. Every team that loses to MUS or anybody else is going to drop at least a little in their respective state ranking. That may not be fair, depending on who beats you, especially if they are from another state, but that's the way it is. Had MUS lost to S Panola, no doubt Ensworth would be number one in TN ahead of MUS, for the exact same reasons. Playoffs ultimately settle these issues...for most...

That's fine.

Madison Central = South Panola

Alcoa = MUS.

The F5 has proved that they can play with the best of D-2,

Has MUS proved that they can play with the best of D-1.....3A??

I hate that we have not won a game in these hypothetical match-ups....kinda feel like a Maryville fan right now. :thumb:

That's funny right there, I don't care who you are or who you root for... :thumb::thumb::roflol:

"No OmahaVol, I agree with your opinion. I know MUS has a great offense. The only thing I can see keeping Alcoa in the game is their Offensive line play and their physical run game against MUS's defensive line and LB's???

Hello, I have no dog in this hunt but I have seen MUS play 3 times this year and Alcoa play once. I am a former college player and scout talent for a SEC school. I have not seen Ensworth play but did see them on film against BGA. MUS in my opinon beats Alcoa pretty easily. The offense of line of Alcoa is not in the same league as Olive Branch's(4 SEC Caliber Players) and South Panola has several on their line that will play D1 ball. MUS's talent level is next to none, there is a reason why Rivals and Max Prep's has them in as a Top 20 team in the country. The coaching at MUS rivals any college level coaching and I am talking D1. They execute like no other high school team I have ever seen and their speed just kills other teams. I am not here to hurt anyone's feelings as I could care less about these two teams I am from Ohio. But in all seriousness, there should be no debate, MUS, like the Briarcrest coach said in the Memphis paper this week, "MUS is in a class to themselves". Good luck to all in the playoffs this year, I will be watching several of the games.

AlcoasPaintedBridge - Excuse me? Did I blink and miss something? What counts THIS YEAR is what you have done THIS YEAR. Most people outside of East Tennessee could care less that you beat McCallie once upon a time. Don't hold your breath waiting to prove yourself against a good DIIAA team any time soon. heck will freeze over before your current coach will schedule such a game. He had a chance to play Ensworth this year. He tried to schedule Franklin Road Academy instead. And why in the world would MUS need to "prove" itself against any D1-3A team? That's absurd. You can't even use

"common opponents" to further your assertions. Maryville, your main claim to fame, is known throughout the state as a "homer" who doesn't SCHEDULE anybody good from outside their neighborhood. But at least they get challenged in the LATE postseason. The bottom line is that you'll never know "the answer" so you need to concentrate on winning the games you play and stop obsessing over "who's the best...." I guarantee you it's something almost unique to East Tennessee. Of course, if I'm not mistaken, you CAN play in a higher classification than 3A, right? You might have more credibility if you did. Hundreds of wins and dozens of state championships in lower classifications are not going to win many converts to your cause. I would love to see you play, but I'm not going to drive 400 miles to see you beat up on some team in your league. Maybe in Cookeville. That's only 270 miles and think I may already be there.....

AlcoasPaintedBridge - Excuse me? Did I blink and miss something? What counts THIS YEAR is what you have done THIS YEAR.

You are right...all the F5 has done this year is hand three teams their only loss on the season and out of ten teams we played this year, only ONE did not qualify for the playoffs.

That would also include 2 #1 teams in higher classifications.

I am flattered that you would feel the need to compare MUS to Alcoa.