Region 1 Wrestling

HULK123

King Greene,

I'm intrigued by all these posts. What am I missing? What is it you do that you're wishing others to take advantage of...?

What we are referring to would be the availability of help from the King College wrestling team. There are a lot of guys on the team that are willing to help improve the level of wrestling in East TN, but until just recently we have lacked interest in the local schools such as TN High (which is right around the corner from the campus)

Our summer camps are one of the opportunities that we provide and those usually seem to get a large bit of interest thanks to the coaches bringing teams.

Another thing, my favorite, that we have to offer is the Team Tornado Freestlye and Greco team that myself and a King Alumni run out of the King wrestling room. Last spring/summer was our first year trying this out, and it turned out to be IMO a very successfull program that helped the involved kids flow nicely into the HS season. Last year we worked with mostly, but not only, Science Hill kids (Goldstein, Pearce, both Schurlknights, Stull, Wilson, Cruise, Lewis, etc) because they were willing to make the trip and were there every Tuesday and Thursday. We had so much fun with the practices and tournament trips and continue to hear from the kids we worked with (for advice, graditude, telling us they can't wait to start Team Tornado again)

I also loved how it has started to make the region closer! Kids from different teams who would have possibly never talked to each other (even though they see each other at tournaments all the time) have became close friends thanks to the time they shared training and traveling with eachother!... back in my day, if it weren't for the green or the maroon on our outfits, you would think that SH and Greeneville were just one big team because we were so close! And I still have close friends from SH thanks to that atmosphere. I think that's the way it should be.

We will be starting Team Tornado up again on the second week of March, giving the HS wrestlers 3 weeks off after the state tournament. I will make sure to post more information on the details of this team later on in the next couple of weeks. I hope that we continue to grow and can help improve the skill as well ast the relationships between the kids in the region!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where has everyone been during the state tournament?!

I would like to congratulate all of the Region 1 State placers!

Luke Hall (Sey) - 4th @119

Steven Goldstein (SH) - 5th @ 119

Jonathan Pearce (SH) - 2nd @ 125

Michael Raimondi (Sey) - 6th @ 135

Matt Cannon (SH) - 3rd @ 171

Josh Lewis (SH) - 3rd @ 215

Josh Barnette (SH) - 6th @ 285

Not a bad showing for Seymore and Science Hill! Science hill especially had an outstanding tournament and if it weren't for a couple of upsets, could have had a couple other state placers, and sealed 2nd place.

If my calculations are correct, that leaves only Luke Hall and Steven Goldstein as next years returning state placers.

In the girls division, SH completely dominated! Out of the 5 girls they took, all made the finals and 3 won it! Coach Renner has really put in some time on making those girls into competitive wrestlers. I hope they will be able to spark some interest in younger girls at the school so that the retuning state champion team will have a team to take to state next year.

Janie Goldstein (105), Victoria Nguyen (120), and Brittany Reagan (125), were state champions

Stephanie Tovar (112) and May Thompson got 2nd

Janie and Victoria became the first 2x state champs in the states history, and Victoria was named OW of the tournament!

Victoria Nguyen and Josh Lewis will both be wrestling for King College next year!