Maryville and Riverdale Battle of the "BIG BOYS"

matback

Agree. Seen allot of great MHS teams but this one has improved a great deal. Wasn’t sure who the playmakers would be this year, now I have seen a dozen kids step up to make plays when the team needed it. Like I said at this point, for this fan, my season has been made. I am very proud of this group of kids.

Someone said Riverdale runs the Wang-T??? It has been years since I have seen a well executed Wang-T and Maryville has played very well in facing that type of offence the past several years. I am not sure MHS has lost to a Wang-T the past several years. But it takes some very quick LB’s to stop that type of Offence. I think Greenville last year had a pretty good one on fast artificial turf if I remember right.

Make sure you come early the Skeeter will be packed early with many area fans. Many will be on the visitor’s side hoping Maryville get’s theirs, because the KFL big boys failed to deliver the on putting Maryville in their place so to speak. There will also be quite a few coming just to see a great program like Riverdale come to town.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having never been to Maryville High before, how many folks does the stadium seat? How many folks do you guys expect for the game? thanks.

Expect between 8-11K fans with about 6K siting. I could be wrong about the number of seats. Maybe someone who knows the "BlackHole" better can speak to the real number of seats.

I'd say that's a good guess on both counts.I'd like to see that game,is there any way to watch it afterwards on the net ?

Looking forward to seeing the Riverdale faithful at Maryville. I feel sure you will find the resturant options and stadium accomodations satisfactory.

Let's hear about the Warrior's strengths and weaknesses. Who are the players to watch.

IMO...here is a breakdown of Maryville.

Strengths....

Coaching Staff...not just Coach Quarles, but he is surrounded by great coaches and fine men.

QB...In my opinion, Phillip Juhlin is the best kept secret in TN...He was overlooked by the East-West Team...his regular season stats were 73% completion rate...17 Tds and 1 Int. He is also a great option QB and is very hard to hit solidly.

Receivers- Romberg (tall/good hands) & Horne (fast/great routes)...3 or 4 others will make catches...Juhlin spreads the ball around.

Running Backs - West and Jones - 2 hard nosed runners, block well, can catch the ball out of the backfield. Not flashy

Secondary - Both corners are exceptional. Bristol is the best I can remember at Maryville 9 ints , 3 for tds. He was also overlooked by the E/W Team. Safeties are great defenders and sure tacklers.

Kicker - Sharp has consistantly put it in the endzone...last few games he hasn't been as consistant...maybe poor turf conditions or colder weather.

Weaknesses - OL and DL are considered weaknesses but without doubt the most improved part of the team!!! The O line is young and small but do the job the coaches ask them to do. Not many sacks this year. D-line is banged up...both tackles are hurt but they will give 110%.

We do not have any major D-1 prospects this year, just a group of kids who have bought into a system and believe their coaches will have them ready for their opponents each week.

Just opinions but I believe they are pretty accurate.

If you want info on places to dine, hit up Mapquest, enter Maryville as the city and click on the restaurant tab. MHS/Skeeter dome is located just south of US 321 and Broadway (411) for referance.

Just about anything you'd like to eat is within 1 1/2 miles.

Enjoy!

Red Rebels by 12!

Reguards to the Board, (you to Starz!...hey to mooma starz)

Mapp

I haven't seen Riverdale in a couple of years, and I know they went through a down period after Coach Rankin left in 2005, but it appears that they are back up to form now. From what I get from talking to a coaching friend in Middle Tennessee, Maryville will see Alcoa X 2, in other words speed on defense that closes fast, on offense, Riverdale has a pretty good running game (Wing-T I think) as they racked up a lot of yards against Farragut in mid-season, when they defeated the Admirals at Murfreesboro. Maryville will have to defend against speed as well, and strong lines. Maryville has a good, solid, well coached team, and they are at home, so edges to the Rebels there, but Riverdale will be more like a 6A team then Maryville has seen so far, far more real talent. Turnovers will again have to go the Rebels way for a win. For the most part, 6A on this end of the state was down this year, so they really did not see that type of team. DB is way down, Ooltewah was not as good as thought, Oak Ridge is rebuilding, and Farragut had a good team, but would not have had as many wins in a more up 6A year. AND, As those of us who were in old 5A and now in 6A know, the road to Cookeville goes through the 'Boro teams, you got to beat them to get there. This will be Maryville's toughest test, if they get by this one, they might win it.

I haven't seen Riverdale in a couple of years, and I know they went through a down period after Coach Rankin left in 2005, but it appears that they are back up to form now. From what I get from talking to a coaching friend in Middle Tennessee, Maryville will see Alcoa X 2, in other words speed on defense that closes fast, on offense, Riverdale has a pretty good running game (Wing-T I think) as they racked up a lot of yards against Farragut in mid-season, when they defeated the Admirals at Murfreesboro. Maryville will have to defend against speed as well, and strong lines. Maryville has a good, solid, well coached team, and they are at home, so edges to the Rebels there, but Riverdale will be more like a 6A team then Maryville has seen so far, far more real talent. Turnovers will again have to go the Rebels way for a win. For the most part, 6A on this end of the state was down this year, so they really did not see that type of team. DB is way down, Ooltewah was not as good as thought, Oak Ridge is rebuilding, and Farragut had a good team, but would not have had as many wins in a more up 6A year. AND, As those of us who were in old 5A and now in 6A know, the road to Cookeville goes through the 'Boro teams, you got to beat them to get there. This will be Maryville's toughest test, if they get by this one, they might win it.

So...the Big boys are in Murfreesboro. We have been looking for them all year. We swept through Quad 1 which most people said was the toughest only to find out that we STILL have not played the Big Boys. For being "Big Boys"...they sure are hard to find.

MHS82...Our team is a solid team we have several D1 prospects mostly on the line right now...

QB is a SR and is the true WARRIOR on this team he is the leader on and off the field and by his actions he is the heart and soul his name is cody west...

RB we are a wing T team (not a fan of but i hope i am proven wrong this year)we have several Rbs that can run it and take it to the house Adam Davenport and Dequinton Sherrill(he has been hurt most of the season and is just now getting back into the flow of game speed)also fullback gaines has been doing a good job

WR I am really proud of this group led by (in my oppinion)Eric Wallin he has several big catches the past few weeks and made a GRET catch last week even being tackled before the ball got there (of course no flag was thrown so glad he caught it official got caught in the play too it was ugly lol)

OL this OL is VERY STRONG they are very good and did a great job against oakland last week and really controlled that line our OL and DL is probably a strength as we are very good in the trenches

DL see above

LBs our LBs are good led by CJ overton...i have seen some good improvments out of this group the past few weeks and that is a good thing

Secondary our pass defense bends but doenst usually break and they have been doing a good job of hitting the reciever after a catch

kicking game Grayson Powell in my opinion got one of the game balls last week as he really kept us in favorable field position all night and he has been consistant all year with both puinting and kickoffs

our teams the CROWD HAS BEEN HUGE!!!!

Please please please bring a huge crowd. I'd love for this to be a packed house. It'll be the only game going in Blount Co (and most surrounding counties) so hopefully we'll draw on others as well.

how big is the stadium will there be enough seats seen photos looks really small. maybe im wrong

Alcoa x 2 .... Hmmm , easy to say when you don't have to play them . Riverdale beats Farragut by 3 on their home field , we beat them by 21 ... yet it sounds like we should just throw up a white flag since now we will finally play a true " Big Boy " ... even though we heard all year how we were now playing the " Big boys " ....

Something tells me that no matter who we beat .... we will never be a " Big Boy " ... :D