Class 4a State Championship Greeneville vs. Giles

DevilMan03

I disagree jwc. Two of those losses were to 5A schools that should have beaten a smaller Greeneville and the other to Besty which is really close in numbers to Greeneville and also played in the semis. If three or four loss teams aren't allowed in the playoffs the teams will lighten up their schedule. Greeneville would stop playing Sull. South and Tenn. High, which in some years, Greeneville wins those games too. If you only played schools in your classification all year, I could see not letting some teams in. But until that happens you have to have three and four loss teams. Greeneville won their confernce undefeated, made the playoffs, beat everyone in their way to the championship, fair and square. The Devils deserve to be there and have the right to be #1.

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To my friends at Greeneville I am still pulling for you little devils to win 4a Tennessee State Champsionship in Cookville, TN on Saturday. To barb, I'm still chewing the sauteed crow that you continue to send to me, even on Thanksgiving Day. To budkilmer and CharlieArrington33 thanks for your postivie committs concerning my posting and steping up and take my crow...To Greeneville#1 and Greene4747 you guys continue to cheer for your devils. I have all the faith in the Greeneville Community, fans, team, coaches, cheerleaders and band to show up Saturday and come home with the WIN ! I do hope the band will take the field and play. You guys did not play last week nor at the Red Bank Game either. You sound great from the stands but please get on the field and perform as a band.

A State Championship team needs a State Championship Band to perform too!

Now, if you remember I told you that there were two words to be said after a hard game like we had at Red Bank...If you win it is WOW WOW WOW and if you lose it is WELL WELL WELL... Over the holiday, I found and I'm sorry to say, but by doing the MATH there is another word that only the RED BANK Fans can say and that is Oh, Oh, Oh,

Without the nationally known Massey Ratings, nor anyother computer or formulars, but by doing elementary math anyone that can think on the 5th grade level can figure out the following.

A team with a 12-3 record and is named 4A Tennessee State Championship get the gold ball and the state championship ring your winning percentage for the year is .800

A team with a 11-4 record and losses in the 4A Tennessee State Championship game and goes home without anything but memories, your winning percentage for the year is .733

A team that lost by 1 point and moves on the Basketball Court and finishes 12-1 record and because of the "IF" factor watches with pain the final game of the 4A State Championship game.

But Red Bank's winning percentage is .923 !

Now who is number 1 in the STATE? Does a win in the "Championship Game" means that team is #! with a winning % of .800 ? Or is the losser and runner up with a winning % of .733 ? Or the team that has been rank #1 all year and the only undefended team in the playoffs and as of November 30th continues to be rated higher that either of the two teams playing in the "Championship Game" ?

Do the MATH ! Maybe TSSAA needs to look at other factors in declarding it's State Championships!

This just proves that teams with 3 or more losses need not be in the playoffs ! You see even, by winning out as one of these two teams will do looks bad on the State of TN's football programs to have a "Champion" with a 12-3 record and only a percentage of .800 ?

What do you all think?

jwc

Thank goodness this isn't a math contest JW...glad you gave up on your beloved Massey ratings(although I noticed RB is still ranked ahead of Greeneville :blink:) As far as winning percentages go....you only have to win 1 game at a time in the playoffs....and you have to win 100% to be state champions. Red Bank LOST the important game...it doesn't matter how many others they won. Ballard's game-plan to control the field position and the clock forced your Lions to do something they had not had to do all season....play 4 quarters of hard-nosed football. I think Greeneville's 3 losses prepared them better for this time of year than all of RB wins combined... our starters have seen more 4th quarter football for sure. Its really not about how you start JW, its about how you finish.

Sounds to me like jwc has been sucking on way to many of those sour grapes :blink:

The two teams that are in the championship game are the two teams that have earned the right to be there....and by the way, you miscalculated Giles's winning percentage. Much in the same way you miscalculated Gville, a couple rounds ago :wacko:

Look at it this way jwc, Red Bank already has a jump on both teams in preparing for next year :huh:

Sounds to me like jwc has been sucking on way to many of those sour grapes :blink:

The two teams that are in the championship game are the two teams that have earned the right to be there....and by the way, you miscalculated Giles's winning percentage. Much in the same way you miscalculated Gville, a couple rounds ago :wacko:

Look at it this way jwc, Red Bank already has a jump on both teams in preparing for next year :huh:

using JW's mathmatical logic, we should not play the game at all...we should just give it to the team that wins the most games....shoot all we have to do is play our conference and schedule a bunch of 1A and weak 2A non-cons...ain't that how its done JW?

To my friends at Greeneville I am still pulling for you little devils to win 4a Tennessee State Champsionship in Cookville, TN on Saturday. To barb, I'm still chewing the sauteed crow that you continue to send to me, even on Thanksgiving Day. To budkilmer and CharlieArrington33 thanks for your postivie committs concerning my posting and steping up and take my crow...To Greeneville#1 and Greene4747 you guys continue to cheer for your devils. I have all the faith in the Greeneville Community, fans, team, coaches, cheerleaders and band to show up Saturday and come home with the WIN ! I do hope the band will take the field and play. You guys did not play last week nor at the Red Bank Game either. You sound great from the stands but please get on the field and perform as a band.

A State Championship team needs a State Championship Band to perform too!

Now, if you remember I told you that there were two words to be said after a hard game like we had at Red Bank...If you win it is WOW WOW WOW and if you lose it is WELL WELL WELL... Over the holiday, I found and I'm sorry to say, but by doing the MATH there is another word that only the RED BANK Fans can say and that is Oh, Oh, Oh,

Without the nationally known Massey Ratings, nor anyother computer or formulars, but by doing elementary math anyone that can think on the 5th grade level can figure out the following.

A team with a 12-3 record and is named 4A Tennessee State Championship get the gold ball and the state championship ring your winning percentage for the year is .800

A team with a 11-4 record and losses in the 4A Tennessee State Championship game and goes home without anything but memories, your winning percentage for the year is .733

A team that lost by 1 point and moves on the Basketball Court and finishes 12-1 record and because of the "IF" factor watches with pain the final game of the 4A State Championship game.

But Red Bank's winning percentage is .923 !

Now who is number 1 in the STATE? Does a win in the "Championship Game" means that team is #! with a winning % of .800 ? Or is the losser and runner up with a winning % of .733 ? Or the team that has been rank #1 all year and the only undefended team in the playoffs and as of November 30th continues to be rated higher that either of the two teams playing in the "Championship Game" ?

Do the MATH ! Maybe TSSAA needs to look at other factors in declarding it's State Championships!

This just proves that teams with 3 or more losses need not be in the playoffs ! You see even, by winning out as one of these two teams will do looks bad on the State of TN's football programs to have a "Champion" with a 12-3 record and only a percentage of .800 ?

What do you all think?

jwc

I disagree by far. Just because a team has a few losses, irrelevant to their division, should not eliminate them from playing for the state championship. Greeneville lost to teams that would more than likely beat most if not all the 4a teams. Secondly, if that was the case why would you even have playoffs or tournaments? Couldnt you just crown the team with the highest win percentage state champions? No one would agree with that or like it, just like the whole 3 or more loss thing. SO maybe you should have just kept that idea to your self. Greeneville beat Red Bank so therefore on that night they WERE the better team. Im not saying Greeneville could beat Red Bank 100 percent of the time, but when it mattered most Greeneville won. Discussion over.

What do you all think?

jwc

Just for the record one of those two teams playing for the Championship has a 13-1 record with a winning percentage of .929. How would a Giles County win look bad on the state?

Well jwc, you asked what everybody thinks and I think you'll get your responses. Sure hope you're not busy today and have time to read them all. But, here's what I think...I think you are having a lot of fun on here and I also think you just proved Chattanooga math is way behind the rest of the state. Hey, can you and lionfart4ever text us some basketball scores while we're at the state championship game Saturday?

In a bored stupor, I was wondering exactly what a Green Devil was.

Originally I figured you were like ordinary devils but just vegitarian, clearly not that scarry of a devil. Bobcats always prefer meat.

Then i pondered, they must be a bunch of tree huggers, in a movie a long time ago the devil stated, trees were his idea before he was outcast from heaven.

Then SHAZAM!! I did a Google search. Seems a Green Devil is a cocktail.

We may get along after all :blink:

Could someone from Giles County post links to your local newspaper's coverage of your team? Most of us small-town teams get forgotten in the metro papers...Knoxville thinks noone from ET is playing except Alcoa and Maryville....but they still want to sell papers in Greeneville. Tri-Cities has moved on to basketball season leaving only our lowly Greeneville Sun to report on our Devils.(http://greenevillesun.com/story/306912)

Are there similar sentiments in your area?

Could someone from Giles County post links to your local newspaper's coverage of your team? Most of us small-town teams get forgotten in the metro papers...Knoxville thinks noone from ET is playing except Alcoa and Maryville....but they still want to sell papers in Greeneville. Tri-Cities has moved on to basketball season leaving only our lowly Greeneville Sun to report on our Devils.(http://greenevillesun.com/story/306912)

try wksr.com

In a bored stupor, I was wondering exactly what a Green Devil was.

Originally I figured you were like ordinary devils but just vegitarian, clearly not that scarry of a devil. Bobcats always prefer meat.

Then i pondered, they must be a bunch of tree huggers, in a movie a long time ago the devil stated, trees were his idea before he was outcast from heaven.

Then SHAZAM!! I did a Google search. Seems a Green Devil is a cocktail.

We may get along after all :blink:

Well the Greene part of Greene Devils obviously comes from GREENEville. Never knew it was a drink though. I'm going to have to look up the recipe! Thanks for the information. :wacko:

No barb, Doug Fritz, from the JC Press did do a piece on the Devils yesterday. Don't have the link, I'll try to find it. But long story short, he basicaly says the same old song and dance. Greeneville's move down made an easier path to the state finals.

No barb, Doug Fritz, from the JC Press did do a piece on the Devils yesterday. Don't have the link, I'll try to find it. But long story short, he basicaly says the same old song and dance. Greeneville's move down made an easier path to the state finals.

Here is the link.

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Sports/ ... p?ID=72602