No TV coverage for DII games?

PowerSweep

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like it may be true. Just checked the web site for JEA Cable in Jackson (who has a team playing Thursday) - nothing listed for Thursday, but showing on schedule all the games Friday and Saturday.

That's just great - I will be there, but seriously- there is one team from Jackson playing in State Championship and you are not showing that game ???????

It sounds like the TSSAA and not the local TV stations made a decision not to broadcast the two DII games on Thursday. Oh well, not only does DII have to play on Thursday afternoon when a lot of people can't make it to Cookeville they also keep the games off TV. Sigh... :shock:

Then there is a TV station in Jackson that needs to boycott the other games and not show them either. JEA is a local station that only reaches the Jackson area (does not even reach Milan). As much as I would like to see the others play, I will personally not be watching if they show.

I just called WKNO Memphis and they confirmed they WILL be showing the MUS-MBA game.

If you have a contact there, do you mind just checking and see if they are possibly carrying the USJ-Knoxville Webb game also? We get WKNO in Jackson and surrounding area and it would be seen by a lot more people than it would have on local cable station.

I did hear on Jackson talk radio this afternoon that it was not being carried because the production company that feeds the games is not carrying game.

I just called WKNO Memphis and they confirmed they WILL be showing the MUS-MBA game.

If you have a contact there, do you mind just checking and see if they are possibly carrying the USJ-Knoxville Webb game also? We get WKNO in Jackson and surrounding area and it would be seen by a lot more people than it would have on local cable station.

I did hear on Jackson talk radio this afternoon that it was not being carried because the production company that feeds the games is not carrying game.

I don't have a contact there...just picked up the phone and called. I just checked their website and it does show the MUS game on their schedule for Thursday, but not the USJ game.

Apparently the local affiliate in Knoxville WVLT (MyVLT) has decided not to broadcast the DII games on Thursday but will broadcast all of the games on Friday and Saturday. I'm not sure how they arrived at that decision given that one of the teams (Knox Webb) is in their market. The other 3 teams in their market that will be in Cookeville will have their games aired. I'm sure it came down to a business decision one way or the other since the bottom line is about money and not whether or not you are providing coverage for all teams in your local market.

I just spoke with the GM of the local Knoxville affiliate for the Championship game coverage and he is saying that the Thursday games are NOT being produced so they have no way of televising them. Of course that would mean that nobody in the state would be able to watch the two Thursday games.

So which is it? I suppose the TSSAA knows for sure but if what I was told by the local GM is true then the TSSAA made a decision NOT to have the production company produce the DII games. It wouldn't surprise me in the least given the fact that they loathe DII anyway!

I just spoke with the GM of the local Knoxville affiliate for the Championship game coverage and he is saying that the Thursday games are NOT being produced so they have no way of televising them. Of course that would mean that nobody in the state would be able to watch the two Thursday games.

So which is it? I suppose the TSSAA knows for sure but if what I was told by the local GM is true then the TSSAA made a decision NOT to have the production company produce the DII games. It wouldn't surprise me in the least given the fact that they loathe DII anyway!

so, if the guy who was on here at one point arguing that there's no interest in these games, based on attendance, so no advertisers would want to be a part of it...we have the state's two biggest TV markets (Nashville and Memphis) in play with the one true bona fide star playing (Brunetti). But let's watch the 6 D1 games instead! Brilliant!

Why can't D2 schools and their gazillion dollar endowments just pay for the production costs themselves?

If you want to know why the Division 2 title games are not being televised like the Division 1 games are, you need to call the TSSAA. They are the ones who made that bone-head decision. My feeling is is that if you are not going to broadcast ALL of the title games, you should not broadcast ANY of the title games. Remember, the TSSAA also does the same thing with basketball as well.

This is a clear and obvious case of discrimination and a complete lack of respect being shown towards the Division 2 teams by the TSSAA.