scott smith resigns as topper headcoach

sissygirl

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to Coach Smith. He reportedly has been offered the FC position.

Best of Luck coach

Just had it confirmed to my husband by a SSHS coach/friend, Carter is taking the job at Science Hill. Don't know any more details, but I'll try to find out when he gets off the phone.

Well................we're waiting... :lol:

WELL.......He just got off the phone. Carter told our friend before Christmas that he was taking the SHHS job. Reasons were several, one of which is supposedly the inability to beat DB, and another the forecasted downsizing of South due to local urban growth plans, the latter being the primary reason. He is apparently planning to take the two Nelsons, from East and Central, as assistants. Our friend did not think any official announcement would be made before the banquet, but with all the rumors flying around, it may be sooner. All I know is what we were told, but the source is close to the situation, and has no reason to misrepresent anything.

WELL.......He just got off the phone. Carter told our friend before Christmas that he was taking the SHHS job. Reasons were several, one of which is supposedly the inability to beat DB, and another the forecasted downsizing of South due to local urban growth plans, the latter being the primary reason. He is apparently planning to take the two Nelsons, from East and Central, as assistants. Our friend did not think any official announcement would be made before the banquet, but with all the rumors flying around, it may be sooner. All I know is what we were told, but the source is close to the situation, and has no reason to misrepresent anything.

He won't beat DB at the hill either. Unless they get a better feeder program. Don't look for Carter to help in that regard. You won't see much out of the box thinking and actions from Carter once he's got his pattern established. Maybe one of thos Nelsons will run the offense. Carters great with the players, though, they love the man.

If Carter does indeed take the SHHS job will Haynie take over at South? If the Nelson Bros. go with him who takes over at East and Central (Krantz??)?

Holston Middle School head coach Chas. Seegar was ready to go to Central 5 years ago. He has built Holston into a dominant force in the middle school arena. He wants to go. And he should go. He played at Central for T. McFerrin and is the only man who can bring that program back to it's 1970's domination. If he goes Central will no longer be just a basketball school. T. McFerrin won a regional championship with Central in the mid to late 70's. He has currently won 11 regional titles at 7 different schools since returning to Georgia after leaving Sullivan Central. If I'm not mistaken, Seegar played on that regional championship team under McFerrin. Seegar is a devout Christian, a family man, and a powerful football mind. He is young enough to be around a while and old enough to know the score. For East, Dobyns Benett has a couple assistants that are primed and ready to wean. South has Justin Hilton who has the inside track and if desired would most likely be the first candidate. Haney has stated to me in the past that he is interested in administration. Whether he would be interested or not is to be seen. I would venture to say no. That leaves Hunter Jordan. And in my opinion, he is the man for the job. Many will say he is not head coach material but I beg to differ. He has issues with administration but he is a master motivator, an offensive wizard, and players will flock to him just like Stacy Carter. He prepped the likes of Jake Hicks, Curt Phillips, both Kitzmillers, Taylor Fletcher, Hunter Beedle, and Ty Garvin to mention a few while at CHMS. While at CHMS he won 5 out of 6 championships. He lost the 6th to Chas. Seegar from Holston in a dogfight. There are those that will say a Middle School Coach does not a High School Coach make. He spent one year as OC at Daniel Boone HS and that is the only year besides 2009 that Boone came close to beating South in recent history.

Again, this is why this sounds like garbage. Why would Ralph Nelson ever want to play second fiddle to Carter at a job where he would be taking a pay cut? This is this most idiotic thing I've ever heard. Ralph does NOT like Carter since Carter ran up the score on him the past few years, and anyone who watched the exchange they had after the East South game will testify to that. There is NO WAY he would leave his family and tenure at East to go be Carter's little errand boy.

Again, this is why this sounds like garbage. Why would Ralph Nelson ever want to play second fiddle to Carter at a job where he would be taking a pay cut? This is this most idiotic thing I've ever heard. Ralph does NOT like Carter since Carter ran up the score on him the past few years, and anyone who watched the exchange they had after the East South game will testify to that. There is NO WAY he would leave his family and tenure at East to go be Carter's little errand boy.

It's probably time for the Nelsons to move on. They simply do not get the respect they deserve from their communities. Too many people are focused on the wins/losses instead of the things that really matter. Besides when the Nelsons have done their best is when they have been teamed up with Carter. It was when Carter was OC at East when Nelsons had their best showings. :lol:

If Carter does indeed take the SHHS job will Haynie take over at South? If the Nelson Bros. go with him who takes over at East and Central (Krantz??)?

Holston Middle School head coach Chas. Seegar was ready to go to Central 5 years ago. He has built Holston into a dominant force in the middle school arena. He wants to go. And he should go. He played at Central for T. McFerrin and is the only man who can bring that program back to it's 1970's domination. If he goes Central will no longer be just a basketball school. T. McFerrin won a regional championship with Central in the mid to late 70's. He has currently won 11 regional titles at 7 different schools since returning to Georgia after leaving Sullivan Central. If I'm not mistaken, Seegar played on that regional championship team under McFerrin. Seegar is a devout Christian, a family man, and a powerful football mind. He is young enough to be around a while and old enough to know the score. For East, Dobyns Benett has a couple assistants that are primed and ready to wean. South has Justin Hilton who has the inside track and if desired would most likely be the first candidate. Haney has stated to me in the past that he is interested in administration. Whether he would be interested or not is to be seen. I would venture to say no. That leaves Hunter Jordan. And in my opinion, he is the man for the job. Many will say he is not head coach material but I beg to differ. He has issues with administration but he is a master motivator, an offensive wizard, and players will flock to him just like Stacy Carter. He prepped the likes of Jake Hicks, Curt Phillips, both Kitzmillers, Taylor Fletcher, Hunter Beedle, and Ty Garvin to mention a few while at CHMS. While at CHMS he won 5 out of 6 championships. He lost the 6th to Chas. Seegar from Holston in a dogfight. There are those that will say a Middle School Coach does not a High School Coach make. He spent one year as OC at Daniel Boone HS and that is the only year besides 2009 that Boone came close to beating South in recent history.

Pretty much spot on, Seeger would be great at Central, awesome at finding spots for the best athletes, would be able to get some athletes that brush off football to come out. I absolutely loved playing for that man in middle school, to think outside of the box a little, and this is just total speculation and an idea, I would look to the Witten that is at John Battle, not fully sure what their record was, but I have heard he has developed young talent, put them on a good offseason training program, and has them respectable, and they were in a similar situation as Central was, being only looked at as a baseball school and basically finishing season after season 1-9,0-10, etc.

Best wishes to Coach Carter, what he did at SSHS this year and in his career is nothing short of amazing and admirable

Mike Turner is too old. He runs an antiquated offense. He may be considered but only after the current offer is rejected. There is only one person who has the poise, character, and dicipline to change hearts and minds. And if you were in attendence at the Science Hill versus South basketball game tonight then you would have seen a prime example of why the Hill doesn't have a football team. No class. No character. The man offered won't tolerate that kind of garbage under any circumstance. I would imagine his decision will be made by next week because he is not one to tarry. He left this one in the hands of someone larger than he. I would suggest everyone do the same and say a few quiet words on your own because this is a bit larger than most people consider. Expecially after what he was immersed in thus far this year. :lol:[/quote

Turner's offense is so antiquated that he is now 4 quarters away from playing for another National Championship. And before you argue that he gets to recruit his players at CN, remember the other other team also recruits their kids too. Comp, you are an idiot when it comes to football.

I guess you know you made yourself look stupid now right? I mean CN/Turner got beat by a spread team didn't they? They did make a pretty good run for it though. I don't like the Veer. Yes, I like the spread. It puts more athletes on the field and plays more players and has more stars and is more exciting. It takes a special RB to be successful out of the spread. It's a money maker...a crowd pleaser. It makes headlines. It gets the fans pumped. This is the modern era. Science Hill needs all that. Period. Mr. Turner goes to the Hill...they will do good...it will be fine...until they come up against Stacy Carter and his spread. I have a serious suggestion though. I suggest that Mike Turner become the AD at either DB or Science Hill because they are both in need of replacement. Notice I didn't say the word Idiot.

I guess you know you made yourself look stupid now right? I mean CN/Turner got beat by a spread team didn't they? They did make a pretty good run for it though. I don't like the Veer. Yes, I like the spread. It puts more athletes on the field and plays more players and has more stars and is more exciting. It takes a special RB to be successful out of the spread. It's a money maker...a crowd pleaser. It makes headlines. It gets the fans pumped. This is the modern era. Science Hill needs all that. Period. Mr. Turner goes to the Hill...they will do good...it will be fine...until they come up against Stacy Carter and his spread. I have a serious suggestion though. I suggest that Mike Turner become the AD at either DB or Science Hill because they are both in need of replacement. Notice I didn't say the word Idiot.

Couple of things I notice about the spread is first off you gotta have an outstanding QB and a back. Second, you gotta have an outstanding line. You can get by with just good as your outs because so many things happening. I think there are places that try and run the spread that really have no business doing so. The spread has worked great for a while, but it seems like people are developing strategies against it to not make it quite as wow as it used to be. I don't know about the SH QB coming up, but if he is not as least as good as St. Clair was for South, for example, they really need to look at something else. It all starts with a great QB. SH has the speed and speed and speed and speed so that they could do better than just the spread in my example. Also, I don't see the skilll in the line for it to work short term. 3 years from now with it worked in, maybe, but still only if you have the people at positions that can get the job done.