Maryville Alcoa Daily times is the Worst

LordInfamous

Call me crazy, but year in and out they cover more about NASCAR and NASCAR related drama, and also local hunting then any local sports. They have lots of opportunities to write positive stories about local athletes especially during football season, yet Alcoa wins state and they get a few articles, but it seems like they have writers coming out of the wood works to talk about Maryville's loss. Why is this paper still in existance?!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should print more about all the schools in the county and the student athletes that work so hard for each school, but It is a sure bet that the local rag will print everything bad they can about the schools and students when they make a mistake. Is that really supporting the community? :thumb:

I'm not from the area but as a former sports editor in the town where I live, let me tell you that the only thing that determines how many pages are printed is the advertising. The reason you don't see many pages, if its anything like my hometown newspaper, is because there aren't enough advertisers to support more pages.

When will these papers learn? Create a great web site, update it consistently, and stop printing.

They should print more about all the schools in the county and the student athletes that work so hard for each school, but It is a sure bet that the local rag will print everything bad they can about the schools and students when they make a mistake. Is that really supporting the community? :thumb:

I hate to agree with you but you and d cat are both right. Bad news sells and it's all about the money.

Good luck next year!

tpoole12

I'm not from the area but as a former sports editor in the town where I live, let me tell you that the only thing that determines how many pages are printed is the advertising. The reason you don't see many pages, if its anything like my hometown newspaper, is because there aren't enough advertisers to support more pages.

When will these papers learn? Create a great web site, update it consistently, and stop printing.

papers do need to start leaning more to an online audience....small papers are barely staying afloat

The Daily Times has the most un-user friendly website ever. It is a piece for sure, I know you want me to register but jeeze, let me atleast look at a story or two or six!! I guess the adults in town have too much pull and power so no scandal really makes it in the paper unless it deals with the kids, especially Maryville High students.

papers do need to start leaning more to an online audience....small papers are barely staying afloat

I'm not from Maryville and I have never seen the paper in question. But I work as a sports editor at a small town newspaper that focuses on high school sports (and local sports in general. To say small papers are barely staying afloat isn't accurate. They are doing better than larger papers. Simply for the fact that larger papers that carry national media are beat out by television and internet. Little Billy's ball team and the local christmas concert usually don't make CNN. Local advertisers understand that. As far as the coverage up there, I dont' know what to tell you. Talk to the sports editor, express your concerns politely.

The Daily Times has the most un-user friendly website ever. It is a piece for sure, I know you want me to register but jeeze, let me atleast look at a story or two or six!! I guess the adults in town have too much pull and power so no scandal really makes it in the paper unless it deals with the kids, especially Maryville High students.

LordInFamous,

I agree with most all your points but I would contend that William Blount students get equal coverage when it comes to scandal! :thumb:

Pedo_29,

You make a valid point about the value of small town newspapers. Problem is, our primary daily has really decreased the amount of coverage it gives to local sports in the past few years. Part of the problem I believe is that our "hometown newspaper" is not "hometown owned" but rather owned by some large comglomerate in another state. The paper has lost our "small town flavor" I believe. Do you see that being a trend as well? That smaller town papers are being purchased by larger news companies?