Top AAA teams in the state??

The Commercial Appeal Dandy Dozen (AAA teams in BOLD)

School / Record / Last Rank /

1. Central / 8-3 / 1 /

2. Overton / 11-1 / 2 /

3. Horn Lake / 12-2 / 3 /

4. Ridgeway / 10-2 / 4 /

5. St. Benedict / 13-3 / 7 / (DII AA)

6. Fairley / 13-3 / 12 /

7. Millington / 16-2 / 5 /

8. Arlington / 13-3 / 8 /

9. Cordova / 14-1 / 11 /

10. White Station / 11-6 / 9 /

11. Briarcrest / 12-3 / 10 / (DII AA)

12. Melrose / 7-3 / 6 /

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simply put, Memphis Central and MoWest are far and away the top teams in Tennessee. Mt. Juliet is a distant third compared to those two. As far as everyone else is concerned, I like Riverdale, LaVergne, Millington, Ridgeway, Maryville, Blackman, Smyrna, and Lawrence Co.

WHoa big fella-not so fast. Haven't seen Memphis Central but know the area and have alot of friends there who keep me informed and Central is NEVER far ahead of anyone due to the fact they will get outworked and coached at the st tourn level(see last year-when they were the best in state) plus have a track record of choking big games. Mowest took a major hit losing Goins. Mt Juliet is for real-they have dominated everyone by having perimeter scoring and one of the best post players in the state. They also work very hard, play defense, and are well coached. Riverdale is very good too-maryville is way too slow and has NO bench to compete with any of these teams

Simply put, Memphis Central and MoWest are far and away the top teams in Tennessee. Mt. Juliet is a distant third compared to those two. As far as everyone else is concerned, I like Riverdale, LaVergne, Millington, Ridgeway, Maryville, Blackman, Smyrna, and Lawrence Co.

WHoa big fella-not so fast. Haven't seen Memphis Central but know the area and have alot of friends there who keep me informed and Central is NEVER far ahead of anyone due to the fact they will get outworked and coached at the st tourn level(see last year-when they were the best in state) plus have a track record of choking big games. Mowest took a major hit losing Goins. Mt Juliet is for real-they have dominated everyone by having perimeter scoring and one of the best post players in the state. They also work very hard, play defense, and are well coached. Riverdale is very good too-maryville is way too slow and has NO bench to compete with any of these teams

You GOTTA BE KINDING ME!

True Central is not far ahead of EVERYONE. There are some teams that will give them a run for their money this year in the Memphis area. But they are STILL ONE OF THE BEST IN THE STATE!

Last year......give me a break. You call getting beat by a lucky last second shot choking(by the way that was their only loss in STATE!) Ya need to be informed better................YOU HAVEN"T SEEN THEM BUT YOUR GETTING INFORM....LOL. WOW!

Get ya popcorn ready.... :flower:

I'll put my AA school here in little ole Dyer against Memphis Central or Morristown West. We've yet to have a game within single digits in 29 games and we've won 51 games in a row. We may not play you big bad Triple A schools, but I can assure you we wouldn't back down if we were given the chance to do so. Memphis Central or Mo West may be the best in the state, but I'd put our little AA school up against either of them.

I guess everyone else should stop practicing now and just declare the winner between those 3 schools dry.gif . I'm telling you it's a tough race to the finish this year. Central has a tough district and an even tougher Region because the playoff scene here is really intense. To say that they are far beyond everyone in their district and region is putting a lot of pressure on them. Glad you didn't make that crazy notion about my team lol. We don't need the extra pressure. They are indeed among the top programs in the state year in and year out. It's going to be fun to see how this season plays out in the Shelby/Metro area. Three teams in the dandy dozen are in my district, so it's going to be interesting basketball... especially in our district!!! :flower:

All of this speculation is quite interesting. Everyone is in their 10x10 spot and trying to look out over the State. GC does have a point but he doesn't know either. They didn't get out of their county much and should have. He has enough to handle in 7 or maybe even in his own District. Riverdale did go to play MC the first of the season and got beat by a snall amount on a neutral court. They are playing better now than at that time BUT Region 4 is Very top heavy, any of 11 schools can make some noise and others coming on strong. Mo West is good, has injuries, and hasn't played enough good teams to know what they need to do to compete. They may be good enough but were more interested in a hypothetical national ranking than anything else. Riverdale did beat Mt. Juliet on their court by quite a bit but that matchup is usually a war and the amount does not make a difference but it is a win. Lavergne had a big win against Blackman at Lavergne but under the circumstances its an even game on a neutral. I'm afraid i will have to pick Blackman at Blackman but it will be close. Siegel is now in the mix and could be the team to slip up on someone. They are playing pretty good.

District 8 is Lawrence County and its been war in the matchup with 7AAA teams. While its hard to say, Shelbyville at this point will not be a factor.

Region 3 will be Cleveland and Walker Valley.

Now Memphis, it appears from a long way away that MC is not far ahead of the pack. All of these things heard after the game is played is still MC. The only exception is Overton and they are still a mistry team as to scores but they have a good record. No one had better count Coach Gat out. Someone had better be pretty deep to come out of the Memphis region. There are more teams there than the ones mentioned and after the officiating fiasco posted on here last year, its wild. Jackson Northside and someone else will come out of the other region.

All of this seems to mean that region 8 and 4 are tossups and speculation.

PHargis, you're officially an idiot and have lost my interest in any input you put on here. You bash teams for going and playing in these out of state tournaments and you bash teams that don't go to the out of state tournaments. You make yourself sound ignorant and you contradict yourself ALOT! You say we don't get out of our county much, but yet we went to Nashville in the preseason and beat up on Ensworth and FRA and lost to Brentwood Academy by a point without Heather Butler playing. Take that for what you want.

You obviously have not seen our girls play. I sent someone a private message on here awhile back asking that person (someone who keeps up with Memphis girls basketball alot) if they thought that Gibson Co. girls could play with Memphis Central. The persons simple answer was yes and they went onto say that they thought Gibson Co. could beat them, but at the same time Central could win the game as well. They said our advantage was our post play with our 2 D1 signees to go along with our outside D1 signee as well. YES, that makes 3 D1 signees on a little ole AA basketball team here in our little town over here. Even after the state tournaments last year, if you attended them, everyone was on here claiming that Gibson Co. was the best team at the state tournaments reguardless of classification. Guess what? We have almost that same exact team back this year!

I don't see what all the madness is about. Gibson County can compete with any Division... period. The year we went to state I remember playing them in a preseason scrimmage and it was a very tough game. It's going to be a very interesting year in the Memphis area. I saw a very good White Station team win against a very good Ridgeway team yesterday. You can never take a night off with anyone during this time of the year. It's really tough basketball, very exciting time!!! :ph34r: