Big 8 Region I AAA Conference Offseason

formerblazer

Hey Comp, do you have any contact with the Ty Garvin family? I would like to know how Ty does at VMI. Its a tough place to go for school, but it is an impressive institution. I wish him the best. :lol:

My son had an official visit there. It's in the middle of nowhere. They have a gas station and a Hardees and that is about it. You have to love the game and want to play because you love the game...because sometimes there is not much else in the package. PowerPlus, is Aaron Trent your boy? I understand he left there after his Frosh year. Is that correct? And yes, the Garvins are well known in the Heights and everyone keeps up with everyone so yes we will know how he is doing. Ty is a fine young man and will be successful at anything he endeavors to accomplish.

Hey Comp, do you have any contact with the Ty Garvin family? I would like to know how Ty does at VMI. Its a tough place to go for school, but it is an impressive institution. I wish him the best. :lol:

My son had an official visit there. It's in the middle of nowhere. They have a gas station and a Hardees and that is about it. You have to love the game and want to play because you love the game...because sometimes there is not much else in the package. PowerPlus, is Aaron Trent your boy? I understand he left there after his Frosh year. Is that correct? And yes, the Garvins are well known in the Heights and everyone keeps up with everyone so yes we will know how he is doing. Ty is a fine young man and will be successful at anything he endeavors to accomplish.

I agree Comp. Ty is very prepared for the rigors of VMI. He is mature beyond his years. He has been a great role model for our younger ones and an inspiration to the adults that are paying attention.

Good luck and best wishes Keydet Ty Garvin. :lol:

I'm curious about some kids that I would think would play somewhere:

Sumo from Crockett? I'd project him at FB

Field General Harmon and All-Purpose Tallman from TH, whats the final word. Wondering if Harmon goes the roundball route instead. Big Alex Taylor?

Speed merchant Steele and Injun QB Roop from DB, whats their plans?

What about Clutch Collins WR from Boone?

What about surehanded Zanoni and speed demon Watterson, from South? What about RB Escape Artist Taylor (if you saw THE play he broke loose, you'd undertand)?

From East, Campbell is a decent all around athlete...? another sport

Multi-purpose Jacob Shipley from Sully Central can make some plays somewhere...?

B Taylor has offers but is still making visits. Have heard mention of Tusculum, Brevard, Western Carolina, Emory & Henry, UVA Wise, Centre and some others.

Yes Aaron is my son. And yes he left VMI. The rigors of the school prove to be to much for him to bear. From reporting to campus Aug. 10th and not being allowed to come home until Thanksgiving, Christmas and spring break was hard. The 30 mile marches with 50lbs packs and virtually no females made it tough. He loved his coaches and teammates though. The military aspect to VMI and the football conditioning in my opinion somewhat conflict with each other. You won't see a lot of really big bruising kids up there because (IMO) they keep you run down pretty good. I think that is one of the reasons VMI struggles in their football program is because the lack of size on the offensive and defensive lines. My son reported to VMI at around 240lbs and by Christmas he had lost about 15lbs. Usually football players go to college and get bigger and stronger. For my son the school wasn't right for him. As a parent on our visit, I loved it, but I didn't know if he would like it or not. It was totally his decision. Maybe Va. Tech would have been a better choice? Hindsight is 20/20.

Yes Aaron is my son. And yes he left VMI. The rigors of the school prove to be to much for him to bear. From reporting to campus Aug. 10th and not being allowed to come home until Thanksgiving, Christmas and spring break was hard. The 30 mile marches with 50lbs packs and virtually no females made it tough. He loved his coaches and teammates though. The military aspect to VMI and the football conditioning in my opinion somewhat conflict with each other. You won't see a lot of really big bruising kids up there because (IMO) they keep you run down pretty good. I think that is one of the reasons VMI struggles in their football program is because the lack of size on the offensive and defensive lines. My son reported to VMI at around 240lbs and by Christmas he had lost about 15lbs. Usually football players go to college and get bigger and stronger. For my son the school wasn't right for him. As a parent on our visit, I loved it, but I didn't know if he would like it or not. It was totally his decision. Maybe Va. Tech would have been a better choice? Hindsight is 20/20.

Been there done that. In retrospect, I see that players such as your son and my son would have been much more successful walking on to a state school and giving it there best shot. It's tough to walk away from the Friday Nite Lights and all the hoopla to end up in the wilderness all alone. I hope he is doing fine now. He was a tremendous LB at the Hill and I loved watching him the little bit I saw.

Hey Comp, do you have any contact with the Ty Garvin family? I would like to know how Ty does at VMI. Its a tough place to go for school, but it is an impressive institution. I wish him the best. :popcorneater:

Why do I not see as many kids heading to Tusculum Comp? I figured you would have a good idea since you seem to have gone through the riggers of helping your child choose a college. It seems like many of the local schools, besides CN, do not really get a lot of the local talent. Or maybe I am just not seeing it on the news.

First off FB do you have a player who will eventually enter the recruiting game or possibly already has? I take it...not yet. The long and short of it is the Tusculum staff is...shall we say...misleading...to put it nicely. And I might add no different than any other DII or NAIA school...regardless of afiliation. I would single out Carson Newman as one of the exceptions to this practice. But not 100%. This could be a lengthy discussion but we won't go there. Suffice to say that even the most righteous programs are in actuality wolves in sheeps clothing. In actuality, the signing day athletes are in reality the poster boys. They have high GPA's, exhibit exemplary character and actually have skills...and usually...money. The true recruiting comes much later. Even as late as summer. These coaches by and large, after all the hoopla of February 3rd has come and gone secretly visit South Florida and scoop up the leftovers of the DI scholly's. What is left behind is the teammates of the DI superstars who in and of themselves are superstars also...albeit with substandard GPA's, gang character, and government income status. They are picked up for a song. Their economic situation enables the said school to bring them in as if they were refugees and they get a government full ride. These are the future starters. The signing day boys realize (some much too late) that they are nothing but scout team recruits. Yes, a small percentage will fight through to a playing position. Isacc Kinley is a perfect example. Most figure it out and realize they have been had and come home to go to school for the educations sake. This doesn't go on at DI schools. They tend to be straight up about it. Their version is to offer an invited walk-on. In reality this is a bonafide opportunity to actually see if they have what it takes...and sometimes make a name for themselves and get a scholly down the line if all is good. But obviously, there is no guarantee. Ever. As it turns out, Tusculum has an ultra-bad reputation for this. But they are not alone. The overall outlay of money on the parents end is much less if they attend a state university and expecially in their home state. Meanwhile the average outlay of finances at a DII or NAIA school is anywhere from 10-20K a year until they are a senior, a starter, and are awarded something somewhere near a full ride. The average cost of a DII or NAIA school is between 30 & 40K. Some more and some less...but not much less.

Tusculum recruited my son and told one lie after another. And I can't stand to hear a coach from a program put down another school and or program. Tusculum does it regularly (or at least with us). It was our experience that all coaches that called every week wanted to know who else was calling, which was kinda funny. But, that was cool.

Tusculum recruited my son and told one lie after another. And I can't stand to hear a coach from a program put down another school and or program. Tusculum does it regularly (or at least with us). It was our experience that all coaches that called every week wanted to know who else was calling, which was kinda funny. But, that was cool.

As well, they promised my son the sun, moon and stars...but would not commit to money until we provided the FAFSA. Every other school put the numbers on paper...without FAFSA. Except West Texas A&M. They wouldn't talk money until we physically visited the school. Because it was so far away (Amarillo) and because the Charleston offer was lucrative we opted to decline. :thumb: The preferred walk on offers were LSU and Troy.

As well, they promised my son the sun, moon and stars...but would not commit to money until we provided the FAFSA. Every other school put the numbers on paper...without FAFSA. Except West Texas A&M. They wouldn't talk money until we physically visited the school. Because it was so far away (Amarillo) and because the Charleston offer was lucrative we opted to decline. :thumb: The preferred walk on offers were LSU and Troy.

Wasn't the recruiting fun at the time? It was an a exciting time for us when coaches from Marshall, MTSU, Auburn, Vanderbilt, Va, Tech, VMI and others were calling. Just so everyone knows, many calls and 2 shoe boxes full of letters, but very few scholarship offers. But, it was fun! There is a far cry from high school to college. I'm hoping Comp, for another shot at the recruiting game this summer and next year. This time in softball. I'll be a little wiser and know more what to expect. "Hopefully" :ph34r:

Wasn't the recruiting fun at the time? It was an a exciting time for us when coaches from Marshall, MTSU, Auburn, Vanderbilt, Va, Tech, VMI and others were calling. Just so everyone knows, many calls and 2 shoe boxes full of letters, but very few scholarship offers. But, it was fun! There is a far cry from high school to college. I'm hoping Comp, for another shot at the recruiting game this summer and next year. This time in softball. I'll be a little wiser and know more what to expect. "Hopefully" :blush:

Oh yes. A special time in deed. We've made it sound so negative. But really it is just the reality of it all. I would do it again...only this time I know better. But the experience will last a lifetime. And for them...now they know how to raise their boys. The one thing I would pass along is...Dads, if they go and make it and see it through then you will know they are a special breed. And just maybe they had a little light over their shoulder. Win or lose, stay or leave, they will be better for the experience. :ph34r: