Big 8 Region I AAA Conference Offseason

formerblazer

I'm sure someone will update it before July Batman. Plenty of time for someone to round up a correct schedule.

Congrats to DB on getting to state in basketball. I was hoping that with basketball ending it would send some to the weightroom, but the JC Press has it that 8 of the kids on the Boone bball team will be hitting the diamond this week or next now. Great group of kids, a huge amount of talent and athleticism.

They really are a great bunch you have.I enjoyed talking to the Boone fans last week and it was a great game.Your students were just like going to a Duke game,a really good fan support.You guys should be proud this year.

Not sure. I was just doing the math. If he's making 7K/month....................

Not sure bud, if your numbers are on it yeah I am with you I can do the math. I don't think he is making THAT much though. He definitely got a pay raise by comparison but losing another 7k makes the job a little less nice. Again, I don't think SH will take away this money. Johnson City School System needs to get their act together and balance their budget, just like how Washington County needs to do it. Simply put, if more money were put into education from the city and county powers that be, you would see a lot NICER facilities in Washington County overall. But, that's just the way things go. I hear that Sullivan and Kingsport are having problems as well, so it isn't like we are in this alone. I would love to see both Boone and Crockett have sports facilities that are on par with anyone else out there.

So has their been any word on the coaching changes out in Central? Can't be good if nothing is decided, plus being left high and dry must really make those kids at Sullivan Central feel great.

Saw a former player for South during the last days of Coach Jenkins/beginning of Stacy Carter, and he said that a lot of the players really liked Coach Haynie and Coach Jordan so, I'm sure enthusiasm will still be high over at the South camp.

So with all that is going on now, it seems like we are looking at the playoffs being tweaked a bit, but no real changes except unless you are doing well, it is hard to get into the playoffs. I will say that it is fair because now it takes out the probability of (and I know it isn't going to happen but just as an example) if SH and DB were 0-9, 1 of them would be going to the playoffs based on that game. Same for the 5A schools around the state, but as you can see it SHOULD be a lot tougher for those 5A schools to get into the playoffs now that they have to beat all those 6A teams. I know some of the numbers have those schools closer to being 5A than pure 6A but still, a lot of strain on the 1A 3A and 5A schools playing up.

And I am sure, and I can absolutely agree and understand with, those 6A schools playing down and wondering what to do with their remaining 3 games. If you just want a playoff showing, you are going to have to schedule 3 cake games. For instance, even if any team in the conference wanted to schedule a small school with a terrible record, it doesn't matter because it boosts their wins. A tie breaker may happen, but if you get up to 7 or 8 wins you are pretty much guaranteed to be in the playoffs. But, and DB is in this boat this year, you play up to a much tougher schedule to make your program stronger, it still doesn't matter how good you are if you are scheduling the toughest teams in the state and play close games and lose.

I honestly think we should go back to the old system, with some schools up some schools down. I do not have a problem with the 6 different divisions in the playoffs, but if they redid it then SH and DB would be back to travelling to Morristown and beyond for games. I know that fans probably won't mind that much at DB, since they are pretty dang loyal as far as travelling goes. SH, though, is a few years away until they build up the support for that.

Which brings up the next question...the closest schools to being 6A now are Boone and Crockett if I am not correct. Could we see in the near future those schools going from 5A to 6A so that there is not as much travel time for more of the teams in the area? My team is just getting to the point where they are making a great program, and Crockett just doesn't look good for something like that into the far future. What good would it be for a team like Crockett to move up to 6A? Heck, I like where my team is right now thank ya very much.

So with all that is going on now, it seems like we are looking at the playoffs being tweaked a bit, but no real changes except unless you are doing well, it is hard to get into the playoffs. I will say that it is fair because now it takes out the probability of (and I know it isn't going to happen but just as an example) if SH and DB were 0-9, 1 of them would be going to the playoffs based on that game. Same for the 5A schools around the state, but as you can see it SHOULD be a lot tougher for those 5A schools to get into the playoffs now that they have to beat all those 6A teams. I know some of the numbers have those schools closer to being 5A than pure 6A but still, a lot of strain on the 1A 3A and 5A schools playing up.

And I am sure, and I can absolutely agree and understand with, those 6A schools playing down and wondering what to do with their remaining 3 games. If you just want a playoff showing, you are going to have to schedule 3 cake games. For instance, even if any team in the conference wanted to schedule a small school with a terrible record, it doesn't matter because it boosts their wins. A tie breaker may happen, but if you get up to 7 or 8 wins you are pretty much guaranteed to be in the playoffs. But, and DB is in this boat this year, you play up to a much tougher schedule to make your program stronger, it still doesn't matter how good you are if you are scheduling the toughest teams in the state and play close games and lose.

I honestly think we should go back to the old system, with some schools up some schools down. I do not have a problem with the 6 different divisions in the playoffs, but if they redid it then SH and DB would be back to travelling to Morristown and beyond for games. I know that fans probably won't mind that much at DB, since they are pretty dang loyal as far as travelling goes. SH, though, is a few years away until they build up the support for that.

Which brings up the next question...the closest schools to being 6A now are Boone and Crockett if I am not correct. Could we see in the near future those schools going from 5A to 6A so that there is not as much travel time for more of the teams in the area? My team is just getting to the point where they are making a great program, and Crockett just doesn't look good for something like that into the far future. What good would it be for a team like Crockett to move up to 6A? Heck, I like where my team is right now thank ya very much.

I totally agree FB. It was fine the way it was. DB would rather go back as well. I love playing DB and the Hill and I love how Stacy upgraded our schedule to include the Knoxville teams and I believe Sam will upgrade it further with even more stiff competition, however 5A is 5A and 6A is 6A. Maryville was an extreme exception. I would rather move on up to 6A than to be in a mixed conference.

For us lay folk...Could you break this down a little. Say DB and SH are the top 2 (Which on paper they should always be). Could there be no 5A teams in the playoffs from their district?

For instance, say Boone goes 6-4 and is top 5A in their district. The 5As have beat each other up. They don't go to playoffs because other 5As in other districts have 7-3 records even though most of those wins were against 4As????????? Make me understand.

For us lay folk...Could you break this down a little. Say DB and SH are the top 2 (Which on paper they should always be). Could there be no 5A teams in the playoffs from their district?

For instance, say Boone goes 6-4 and is top 5A in their district. The 5As have beat each other up. They don't go to playoffs because other 5As in other districts have 7-3 records even though most of those wins were against 4As????????? Make me understand.

That is a possibility exactly as you say it. Wins take precidence over playing tougher teams. It is what it is as I see it. It could just be that there was a lot of competition and all the teams played close games that are all mixed up, but if there are other 5A teams in the state that are better, it wouldn';t matter. Wins go first.

As I read it, as long as there is one team from the conference then that is what everyone wants. Even if there were no 5A teams, that conference is still represented in the playoffs in 6A.

But heck, basically if you want in, win 7 to 10 games a year.

I totally agree FB. It was fine the way it was. DB would rather go back as well. I love playing DB and the Hill and I love how Stacy upgraded our schedule to include the Knoxville teams and I believe Sam will upgrade it further with even more stiff competition, however 5A is 5A and 6A is 6A. Maryville was an extreme exception. I would rather move on up to 6A than to be in a mixed conference.

Thanks Comp, I miss the old Big 6 conference, but you still had Elizabethton having issue with playing up (which by this years standards, they were) and well there you go. I love the idea of playing those new teams as well so I think that was a great idea. I expected more out of Seymore but still, playing down there was way outside the norm for Boone and I say keep doing it.

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Sports/ ... p?ID=74524

Here ya go SSREB, I think Doug does a better job explaining it than me, but it does confirm what the new plan does. 1st and 2nd can be in the playoffs, but that doesn't mean that your region will represent the playoffs, but he did note that this scenario is unlikely...but then again they said that about a 1-9 team getting into the playoffs.

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Sports/article.php?ID=74524

Here ya go SSREB, I think Doug does a better job explaining it than me, but it does confirm what the new plan does. 1st and 2nd can be in the playoffs, but that doesn't mean that your region will represent the playoffs, but he did note that this scenario is unlikely...but then again they said that about a 1-9 team getting into the playoffs.

Thanks.....yeah, I guess we're lucky up here that there are only 2 6As in the district. Imagine if you had 5 or 6 in your district? Looks like they quick fixed the playoff system but didn't have enough time to fix the districts to go with it.

Once all this sinks in theres going to be all kinds of fussing and attempted schedule changing. South could try to trade out Greenville and West for Blountville and Indian Springs Middle Schools. :thumb:

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Sports/article.php?ID=74524

Thanks.....yeah, I guess we're lucky up here that there are only 2 6As in the district. Imagine if you had 5 or 6 in your district? Looks like they quick fixed the playoff system but didn't have enough time to fix the districts to go with it.

Once all this sinks in theres going to be all kinds of fussing and attempted schedule changing. South could try to trade out Greenville and West for Blountville and Indian Springs Middle Schools. :thumb:

Exactly buddy. Why play harder teams if you want that playoff game. Competition is another thing you could use as an argument on trying to get your program better, but if wins are all that matter well what do you do.

Basically, they need to go back to the old system. There was less fuss, and I am beginning to believe that the TSSAA really did do this just for $$$ at the end of the day. If it was that important for more playoff games and $$$, just let everyone be in the playoffs somehow, and have an East and West State Champion. Lame, yes, money, you bet ya.

If this continues you will start seeing TN be more of a joke if it is just about the money. Who wants to play Maryville and whoever else if wins are all that matter?