Big 8 Region I AAA Conference Offseason

formerblazer

First off FB do you have a player who will eventually enter the recruiting game or possibly already has? I take it...not yet. The long and short of it is the Tusculum staff is...shall we say...misleading...to put it nicely. And I might add no different than any other DII or NAIA school...regardless of afiliation. I would single out Carson Newman as one of the exceptions to this practice. But not 100%. This could be a lengthy discussion but we won't go there. Suffice to say that even the most righteous programs are in actuality wolves in sheeps clothing. In actuality, the signing day athletes are in reality the poster boys. They have high GPA's, exhibit exemplary character and actually have skills...and usually...money. The true recruiting comes much later. Even as late as summer. These coaches by and large, after all the hoopla of February 3rd has come and gone secretly visit South Florida and scoop up the leftovers of the DI scholly's. What is left behind is the teammates of the DI superstars who in and of themselves are superstars also...albeit with substandard GPA's, gang character, and government income status. They are picked up for a song. Their economic situation enables the said school to bring them in as if they were refugees and they get a government full ride. These are the future starters. The signing day boys realize (some much too late) that they are nothing but scout team recruits. Yes, a small percentage will fight through to a playing position. Isacc Kinley is a perfect example. Most figure it out and realize they have been had and come home to go to school for the educations sake. This doesn't go on at DI schools. They tend to be straight up about it. Their version is to offer an invited walk-on. In reality this is a bonafide opportunity to actually see if they have what it takes...and sometimes make a name for themselves and get a scholly down the line if all is good. But obviously, there is no guarantee. Ever. As it turns out, Tusculum has an ultra-bad reputation for this. But they are not alone. The overall outlay of money on the parents end is much less if they attend a state university and expecially in their home state. Meanwhile the average outlay of finances at a DII or NAIA school is anywhere from 10-20K a year until they are a senior, a starter, and are awarded something somewhere near a full ride. The average cost of a DII or NAIA school is between 30 & 40K. Some more and some less...but not much less.

Hindsight is always 20/20. One day I'll go through this process I am sure. I was just really wanting to see your view on things. I won't bring up ETSU and that convo again (which you had some good points, even if I did not personally agree with them, but some very good points and ideas). I am just wondering what the future will bring when ETSU finally has a football team again in the area. I think mostly our convo in the other thread had me looking at what was done in Miami in 80-81 (yes, that ESPN 30 for 30 was a great show) so I am wondering...what can be done if you take a whole lot of local talent and put it together.

Also, looking back at Curt Phillips recruiting, do you think he would have been better off going to TN or maybe another college. I don't actually know the offers he had on the table at the time but it seems the one he took was the best.

First off FB do you have a player who will eventually enter the recruiting game or possibly already has? I take it...not yet. The long and short of it is the Tusculum staff is...shall we say...misleading...to put it nicely. And I might add no different than any other DII or NAIA school...regardless of afiliation. I would single out Carson Newman as one of the exceptions to this practice. But not 100%. This could be a lengthy discussion but we won't go there. Suffice to say that even the most righteous programs are in actuality wolves in sheeps clothing. In actuality, the signing day athletes are in reality the poster boys. They have high GPA's, exhibit exemplary character and actually have skills...and usually...money. The true recruiting comes much later. Even as late as summer. These coaches by and large, after all the hoopla of February 3rd has come and gone secretly visit South Florida and scoop up the leftovers of the DI scholly's. What is left behind is the teammates of the DI superstars who in and of themselves are superstars also...albeit with substandard GPA's, gang character, and government income status. They are picked up for a song. Their economic situation enables the said school to bring them in as if they were refugees and they get a government full ride. These are the future starters. The signing day boys realize (some much too late) that they are nothing but scout team recruits. Yes, a small percentage will fight through to a playing position. Isacc Kinley is a perfect example. Most figure it out and realize they have been had and come home to go to school for the educations sake. This doesn't go on at DI schools. They tend to be straight up about it. Their version is to offer an invited walk-on. In reality this is a bonafide opportunity to actually see if they have what it takes...and sometimes make a name for themselves and get a scholly down the line if all is good. But obviously, there is no guarantee. Ever. As it turns out, Tusculum has an ultra-bad reputation for this. But they are not alone. The overall outlay of money on the parents end is much less if they attend a state university and expecially in their home state. Meanwhile the average outlay of finances at a DII or NAIA school is anywhere from 10-20K a year until they are a senior, a starter, and are awarded something somewhere near a full ride. The average cost of a DII or NAIA school is between 30 & 40K. Some more and some less...but not much less.

Hindsight is always 20/20. One day I'll go through this process I am sure. I was just really wanting to see your view on things. I won't bring up ETSU and that convo again (which you had some good points, even if I did not personally agree with them, but some very good points and ideas). I am just wondering what the future will bring when ETSU finally has a football team again in the area. I think mostly our convo in the other thread had me looking at what was done in Miami in 80-81 (yes, that ESPN 30 for 30 was a great show) so I am wondering...what can be done if you take a whole lot of local talent and put it together.

Also, looking back at Curt Phillips recruiting, do you think he would have been better off going to TN or maybe another college. I don't actually know the offers he had on the table at the time but it seems the one he took was the best.

Maybe.

Curts situation in my opinion is not what everyone thinks. Curt is simply learning to be a drop back passer. He is in an offense that does not use or need a Spread QB. So he is learning a new facet. You don't see drop back QB's cut and run. But I would say that when all is said and done he will be a drop back passer that is also a dual threat. There aren't many of those around.

As far as UT is concerned it was just terrible timing for Curt and UT. If you remember Cutcliffe cut and ran to Duke in the middle of everything. Curt was being recruited by Duke. Cutcliffe offered Curt to play DB...of all things knowing he would decline. Which is what he wanted. He knew he was going to Duke and in my view he kept Curt out of UT in order to get him to Duke. Didn't quite work out the way he wanted it. If Curt were at UT today he would be in the sweet spot. But that is just my view. Curt is far from finished at Wisconsin. Pay attention going forward. You haven't heard the last from him.

Maybe.

Curts situation in my opinion is not what everyone thinks. Curt is simply learning to be a drop back passer. He is in an offense that does not use or need a Spread QB. So he is learning a new facet. You don't see drop back QB's cut and run. But I would say that when all is said and done he will be a drop back passer that is also a dual threat. There aren't many of those around.

As far as UT is concerned it was just terrible timing for Curt and UT. If you remember Cutcliffe cut and ran to Duke in the middle of everything. Curt was being recruited by Duke. Cutcliffe offered Curt to play DB...of all things knowing he would decline. Which is what he wanted. He knew he was going to Duke and in my view he kept Curt out of UT in order to get him to Duke. Didn't quite work out the way he wanted it. If Curt were at UT today he would be in the sweet spot. But that is just my view. Curt is far from finished at Wisconsin. Pay attention going forward. You haven't heard the last from him.

Well that makes sense. I guess really as we are focused on football, the side of the thought really comes down to his education. It wouldn't be the first player from the area going somewhere and getting a good education and not playing so much. I've kept my eye on him, ESPN shows him playing a few plays but not enough to actually tell how he is doing one way or another. Hopefully he'll get some playing time in the future. If not, I have no idea what his major is. I would guess at Sports Medicine or Coaching, but others might know better. Free ride, heck go to the school that gives it.

FormerBlazer,you hit the nail on the head.Education is what matters in the end game.Sometimes as dads,we need to step back and just ask our sons what they want to do.Having conections with college coaches is another factor that's been left out in these talks.In other words,the system is not 100% perfect.It's sometimes like working most jobs and the biggest BS'ers get to be the CEO.It's no big deal if the local guys don't go on and play a sport after highschool.Your kids can go to Northest for nearly free and transfer to State after that if money is the major factor.With all that said,I know a lot of kids want to play on,and I wish they all could.

FormerBlazer,you hit the nail on the head.Education is what matters in the end game.Sometimes as dads,we need to step back and just ask our sons what they want to do.Having conections with college coaches is another factor that's been left out in these talks.In other words,the system is not 100% perfect.It's sometimes like working most jobs and the biggest BS'ers get to be the CEO.It's no big deal if the local guys don't go on and play a sport after highschool.Your kids can go to Northest for nearly free and transfer to State after that if money is the major factor.With all that said,I know a lot of kids want to play on,and I wish they all could.

Good post Batman. Kudos to the ones who can go on. And Kudos to the ones who had a wonderful high school career. And Kudos to those who supported them from the scout teams.

• 2 weeks later...

How does the other diehard football fans see the conference next year.I look for Science Hill to have a better team then they have had in a while.I have no ideal of what the talent will be,but I can see the kids getting fired up about something new and being a part of it.People make a big deal out of DB's win streak,but two years ago was anyones game and we should have went deep into the playoffs.SH has allways had good athletes and should be a factor this year.Is Boone solid for years to come ? They beat a TH team that I thought could win it all last year.I'm going to say a playoff spot is theirs to lose.Can South continue after Carter ? I think so,and give them a spot as well.I'm not going to leave Tennessee High out either.So,what of the rest of the 5A teams.The one team with the best history and a great program to feed it is Central.Some of the best players that should have been playing for Central are all over Sullivan county,from TH ,DB,South and North.If they can just keep those fine Holston players who beat up on everyone,they could be a monster.I won't forget my favorite team,and think it could be a very good DB team in 2010,and they should be the team to beat.

How does the other diehard football fans see the conference next year.I look for Science Hill to have a better team then they have had in a while.I have no ideal of what the talent will be,but I can see the kids getting fired up about something new and being a part of it.People make a big deal out of DB's win streak,but two years ago was anyones game and we should have went deep into the playoffs.SH has allways had good athletes and should be a factor this year.Is Boone solid for years to come ? They beat a TH team that I thought could win it all last year.I'm going to say a playoff spot is theirs to lose.Can South continue after Carter ? I think so,and give them a spot as well.I'm not going to leave Tennessee High out either.So,what of the rest of the 5A teams.The one team with the best history and a great program to feed it is Central.Some of the best players that should have been playing for Central are all over Sullivan county,from TH ,DB,South and North.If they can just keep those fine Holston players who beat up on everyone,they could be a monster.I won't forget my favorite team,and think it could be a very good DB team in 2010,and they should be the team to beat.

DB should be the team to beat in the conference 'IF" the offensive and defensive line gets back to true DB form. We've been pretty weak there for the past two years. I think Daniel Boone will compete for the title and the game between DB and Boone in Gray should be a great one. Whoever wins that one and keeps from getting upset by anybody else in the conference will win the Big 8. Seems like to me Science Hill always plays DB tough at home. Even DB's best teams have struggled to play well in Johnson City. The Game is at J-Fred this year.....so. Also, this will mark the first time that their new coach returns to the scene of the famous 44-0 drubing that his team took in 2006. :roll:

lol . . . Guys, when is D-B NOT the team to beat year in and year out. Once in a blue moon D-B is down. For the most part they are always strong.

I've heard Carter has got the S-Hill boys working hard. Some are still playing basketball and I'm not sure about baseball (Norris won't be back). They've got some talent coming back next season, but for the most part they will be young and unproven on the varsity level. Lots of excitement with new coaches, new turf and stadium. What will they do next season . . . only time will tell for sure. :roll:

Waco is right on the key to any football team,{the big boys}.Most years DB has had really good guys ready to step up in case of injury. The offensive line depth has just not been there for DB.We had some great players in{ Hansen ALL STATE},Fuller and Hayworth 2ed team all conference,but should have been first team, and a few more.Injurys made it tough when three of the starting five were out or limited many games during the season.On the defensive side,we allways play big in the middle and fast on the outside.The problem was that we lost the only ''half way big nose man'' before the the'' half way point'' and either had to play smaller guys or use worn out big guys from the offense.We have had an all Northeast Tennessee defensive lineman on the left side for the last two years{Bateman and Ricker}.You can mark my words, that will continue with Long.All three would have been better suited at either fullback or linebacker,but the coaches must be pretty darn good at DB.After the line concerns,the next order of concern will be QB and defensive back speed. With Chris in the backfield and a great bunch of linebackers on defense coming back,hope is high for the Indians.

DB should be the team to beat in the conference 'IF" the offensive and defensive line gets back to true DB form. We've been pretty weak there for the past two years. I think Daniel Boone will compete for the title and the game between DB and Boone in Gray should be a great one. Whoever wins that one and keeps from getting upset by anybody else in the conference will win the Big 8. Seems like to me Science Hill always plays DB tough at home. Even DB's best teams have struggled to play well in Johnson City. The Game is at J-Fred this year.....so. Also, this will mark the first time that their new coach returns to the scene of the famous 44-0 drubing that his team took in 2006. ;)

Boone should be very solid this year. The group of athletes that will be seniors want nothing except to win. 6 of the big players are on the basketball team and look what they did (PS DB vs DB at Crockett tonight for the district title) and I think that will come on full force this next year. Losing few seniors, however good they were, should be the question, but I think they will end up being very successful. The games I have in question, besides a "team to beat" motto, will be SH, DB, TH, and South. Those 4 are the biggest on the schedule and the ones that really tell what type of team you are. SH will be a shootout, but the game will be at Gray, as well as DB playing at Gray so hopefully that will be good for us. TN High will be after us, I have no doubt, and this may very well be the year when Boone finally can get a win over South. Another game that will be closer than what people think is Cherokee. I think that will be a game that could be close for Boone if they don't watch out. Loads of talent returning, a lot of kids who could play on the next level. Almost every week looks good for whatever team you are going for this year fellas.

Kingsport D-B : 11-2/7-0 ( 2-1 6A playoffs)

Gray : 11-2/6-1 ( 2-1 5A playoffs)

Johnson City : 5-6/5-2 (0-1 6A playoffs)

Kingsport South: 6-5/4-3 (0-1 5A playoffs)

Bristol: 5-6/3-4 (0-1 5A playoffs)

Blountville: 4-6/2-5

Church Hill : 3-7/1-6

Jonesborough 1-9/0-7

Obviously plenty of time to change my mind. ;)

Kingsport D-B : 11-2/7-0 ( 2-1 6A playoffs)

Gray : 11-2/6-1 ( 2-1 5A playoffs)

Johnson City : 5-6/5-2 (0-1 6A playoffs)

Kingsport South: 6-5/4-3 (0-1 5A playoffs)

Bristol: 5-6/3-4 (0-1 5A playoffs)

Blountville: 4-6/2-5

Church Hill : 3-7/1-6

Jonesborough 1-9/0-7

Obviously plenty of time to change my mind. ;)

Well,if I were guessing your prediction on the playoffs,our '' 1 '' and SH's one and done is Maryville. I look for the Morristown teams to be a big factor again soon for a lot of local teams.