Henry County Football

West TN football

It is the word EVERYWHERE! Do you not listen to football talk? His Dad is the one talking about it. Why do you want to hear nothing bad? The overall news is very good. What can be your problem? The team looks very good. Do you think this team is void of any problem at all? If that's what you think, then you know nothing at all about teenagers!

True. And this is NOT the first time that this particular player has had trouble with attendence. I hope he gets it straightened out, because he's got some serious potential and this will be his last chance to show it off.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the scrimmage turned out alright. There was a good showing of fans for both teams. I didn't stay for the whole thing, but when I left we had scored 5 touchdowns to their 1. Some things I took away from this scrimmage:

1. I think we've found our starting QB (Najee Ray #7, whenever he was in the game, the offense improved drastically, he broke two long runs for scores showing Marsalis type speed and also completed a long pass on a very limited number of snaps, as for the other QB's, Khalil Kendley got a lot of the snaps and made some good plays, I think he'll be solid once he gets a little bigger, he looks pretty small right now and i think he could use a year or so in the weight room before he sees the field regularly. He's only a sophomore, he'll probably be starting his senior year. Matt Craig made the most out of what snaps he got, he also broke a long run for a td, he'll be a solid back up.)

2. Our kicking game needs work (Couldn't hit an extra point, although i think they had the new kicker (Herrera?)in the game, it wasn't Klingenburg.)

3. Our run defense needs some work (although #21 for Obion County, whoever he was, was pretty dang good)

4. We've got some speed on both sides. (We're pretty quick at getting to the ball, just need to improve our awareness and sure up our tackling a little bit)

5. Offensive line looked better than i expected for the most part. (We didn't have too many plays that ended in our backfield, and when you've got an entirely new offensive line, and your preseason all state lineman with the only experience isn't playing, that's a pretty good sign.

6. I think this receiving corps might just turn in to the best we've had (#3 (Hunter Fry?) and about two other receivers had a pretty good showing along with our tight end).

7. I like the group of RB's we have. (Shaquille Allen is a hardnosed runner who can grind out the tough yards. Finch, Curtis, and Tharpe all have pretty good speed and I can see all four of them getting carries this year.)

8. There's a lot of reasons to be excited right now if you're a Patriot fan.

I was concerned when Gaddis left and we lost over 30 seniors, but Counce seems to be picking up right where Gaddis left off and has reloaded this team. I think we're set to have an awesome year.

GO BIG RED!!

Edited by RedSwarm10

Well the scrimmage turned out alright. There was a good showing of fans for both teams. I didn't stay for the whole thing, but when I left we had scored 5 touchdowns to their 1. Some things I took away from this scrimmage:

1. I think we've found our starting QB (Najee Ray #7, whenever he was in the game, the offense improved drastically, he broke two long runs for scores showing Marsalis type speed and also completed a long pass on a very limited number of snaps, as for the other QB's, Khalil Kendley got a lot of the snaps and made some good plays, I think he'll be solid once he gets a little bigger, he looks pretty small right now and i think he could use a year or so in the weight room before he sees the field regularly. He's only a sophomore, he'll probably be starting his senior year. Matt Craig made the most out of what snaps he got, he also broke a long run for a td, he'll be a solid back up.)

2. Our kicking game needs work (Couldn't hit an extra point, although i think they had the new kicker (Herrera?)in the game, it wasn't Klingenburg.)

3. Our run defense needs some work (although #21 for Obion County, whoever he was, was pretty dang good)

4. We've got some speed on both sides. (We're pretty quick at getting to the ball, just need to improve our awareness and sure up our tackling a little bit)

5. Offensive line looked better than i expected for the most part. (We didn't have too many plays that ended in our backfield, and when you've got an entirely new offensive line, and your preseason all state lineman with the only experience isn't playing, that's a pretty good sign.

6. I think this receiving corps might just turn in to the best we've had (#3 (Hunter Fry?) and about two other receivers had a pretty good showing along with our tight end).

7. I like the group of RB's we have. (Shaquille Allen is a hardnosed runner who can grind out the tough yards. Finch, Curtis, and Tharpe all have pretty good speed and I can see all four of them getting carries this year.)

I was concerned when Gaddis left and we lost over 30 seniors, but Counce seems to be picking up right where Gaddis left off and has reloaded this team. I think we're set to have an awesome year.

GO BIG RED!!

Great post & I completely agree with your take on the scrimmage especially your comments on the QB situation.

GO BIG RED!!

Not sure your correct about the kickers. I'm pretty sure #99 was Herrera which did all the punting, but I didnt see him attempt an XP. I would have liked to but those were attempted by someone else. Number eighty something did the XP's. First one went straight through the holders hands so he never got a chance to kick it. Second one pulled way left, third one was a line drive under goalposts. I left the game after that so I wasnt there for the rest of the scrimmage but I really don't think Herrera did any of the first three kicks. I totally agree with your summary of the QB situation, but I am going to have to say we need alot of help in the tackling area. #21 may be good but we made him look great! Really need some help in that area. I do see good things from the recievers though. Definately have some talent on this team, just need to refine it. Hope they can pull it together quick.

Edited by NicD91

Not sure your correct about the kickers. I'm pretty sure #99 was Herrera which did all the punting, but I didnt see him attempt an XP. I would have liked to but those were attempted by someone else. Number eighty something did the XP's. First one went straight through the holders hands so he never got a chance to kick it. Second one pulled way left, third one was a line drive under goalposts. I left the game after that so I wasnt there for the rest of the scrimmage but I really don't think Herrera did any of the first three kicks. I totally agree with your summary of the QB situation, but I am going to have to say we need alot of help in the tackling area. #21 may be good but we made him look great! Really need some help in that area. I do see good things from the recievers though. Definately have some talent on this team, just need to refine it. Hope they can pull it together quick.

Well I just assumed it was herrera seeing as how he's new and the coaches might have wanted to give him some extra shots. As for our tackling or lack there of, I think we'll be fine. We got more aggressive as the scrimmage proceeded and were able to put more pressure on the QB's as well. Our red zone defense was very solid for the most part all night. Not something i'm overly concerned with yet. I think the coaches will review the tape and correct what they see is not up to par. I expect some improvement in that area by the time we go to huntingdon for the jamboree next saturday.

Hey guys, not trying to take any talk away from your Henry Co. Patriots, however I got to watch one of your district opponents tonight in Brighton at the first look scrimmage at Dyer Co. They went up against Haywood Co., who is big and athletic, and they completely destroyed them. Brighton looked to be very good and looked like they were in midseason form right now. Do any of you guys expect them to be that good this year or am I just not used to seeing a team that good? lol :roflolk:

Hey guys, not trying to take any talk away from your Henry Co. Patriots, however I got to watch one of your district opponents tonight in Brighton at the first look scrimmage at Dyer Co. They went up against Haywood Co., who is big and athletic, and they completely destroyed them. Brighton looked to be very good and looked like they were in midseason form right now. Do any of you guys expect them to be that good this year or am I just not used to seeing a team that good? lol :roflolk:

We don't play in the same district as Brighton anymore. When the realignment happened, they put us in the Clarksville zone when we made the switch from 4A to 5A, sadly. So we lost all our games with the Jackson schools along with Munford, Brighton, and Hardin County. Which sucks, I miss the old district. Glad to hear Brighton is looking good though. They seemed like an up and coming program when the realignment happened.

Edited by RedSwarm10

We don't play in the same district as Brighton anymore. When the realignment happened, they put us in the Clarksville zone when we made the switch from 4A to 5A, sadly. So we lost all our games with the Jackson schools along with Munford, Brighton, and Hardin County. Which sucks, I miss the old district. Glad to hear Brighton is looking good though. They seemed like an up and coming program when the realignment happened.

Ah ya, I forgot about that. Brighton looked VERY good tonight.

Hello to all of Big Red Nation! My first post of the year, but I am excited nonetheless about the 2010 season. Its early yet, and the team is coming together. Still rough around the edges, but I like the potential that I see in these kids. The junior class is definitely loaded with talent, which bodes well for the future.

Liberty will be a tough test no doubt. They will be good and we have to go there. I am anxiously awaiting week 1 (or is it week 0?)!

Go Big RED!!!