Miss Basketball Finalists

Ticket

LU_the_Eagle posted....

1. I believe Chassidy gave a comment in the Jackson Sun that seemed a little unneccessary in her statement about beating Gibson again.

2. Wasn't Chassidy called for a walk at a crucial point in the game? One player and one play does not decide the outcome of any game. There are multiple missed opportunities in any given game.

3. What has Chassidy done for OC?

1. I'd have to read it...

2. From everything I've heard it was very questionable...The Lady Rebels hit the wide-open lay-up at the end they win...Very Simple, I don't see how people can't get past that...I guess it's all the coach-speak they hear....

3.Oh, I'd say about 20 wins a year...That's all...

In response to 2. Were you there? I think MOST (probably not any OC fans due to lack of objectivity) people knew she walked. You must honestly be in denial if you believe that only one play causes a team to win or lose.

In response to 3. Give me a break. My wife was a part of a team AT OCCHS that won at least 20 games EVERY year and even made it to the state tournament. 20 wins is nothing at OC. If she played at a non-tradition rich program it might be an accomplishment. In reality, she did NOTHING for her team on the grand scheme of things.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LU_the_Eagle posted:

"In response to 2. Were you there? I think MOST (probably not any OC fans due to lack of objectivity) people knew she walked. You must honestly be in denial if you believe that only one play causes a team to win or lose.

In response to 3. Give me a break. My wife was a part of a team AT OCCHS that won at least 20 games EVERY year and even made it to the state tournament. 20 wins is nothing at OC. If she played at a non-tradition rich program it might be an accomplishment. In reality, she did NOTHING for her team on the grand scheme of things."

1. Why would you ask that when I obviously posted "I heard" ??...I will say this Russ Barker, on the radio, said it was very questionable...He never complains about the refs..Danny said, yeah they knocked her down...I missed the replay...That's why I'm not going to argue that point....TIFWIW..

2. Saying something like that about Chassidy is puzzling coming from someone with strong OC ties, unless there is an agenda...

First of all, Chassidy averages more assists than Butler does. Maybe you should have bought a Media Guide at the State Tournament comparing stats. So you tell me how she is a ball hog when as you say 'Butler has more of a surrounding cast than Fussell' but yet Chassidy averages more assists per game? And Chassidy is a SHOOTING guard (hint the word shooting) not a point guard and should therefore have less assists and more points. You people obviously don't have a clue how the game is supposed to work. The players have 'roles' on the floor. Point guard-passes. Shooting guard- SHOOTS. 3 guard- shoots when the 2 guard isn't open. 4-is the second hand post player(big forward). Post players- stay under the basket and post up. And furthermore it is much easier for someone to score when they are not being double and triple teamed as Chassidy was for the past two years. And in response to the 'booing', Chassidy mentioned in the media room that she considers that to be motivation to get even better than she already is. And she also said that without 'haters', the game wouldn't be as exciting...... And as far as the 'four steps', i'm sure someone would love to send you a game film because it was clearly not a walk (Channel 7 news showed it repeatedly from front view). Chassidy did everthing that she could for her team for the past two years. You people need to quit talking about all of these players like they can't read. Be positive about their accomplishments.

This site is not flattering to anyone involved and only deals with individuals. While I do not know of the event, I know booing a winner of an award by fans of another school not very flattering for sure. The winner was given the award for the reasons explained the afternoon the award was given as was the reason for the other two were selected to be in the top three. The winner was awarded for the reasons and its over with. Hashing over a loss of a game is valid after the game but does not seem appropriate to me so far after the game is played unless its for some other reason. Seems to me this has been hashed enough, IMO. It's hard to disconnect the two, the game and the award, but it has to be done.

I've read several posts on here and applaud everyone's passion that they have when it comes to the game of basketball and the individuals who play the game. For starters, I would like to say congrats to Chassidy on the Miss Basketball award. No one would have been shocked if Heather won the award as she had an outstanding season as well- due to the fact of the amazing comeback she and the Lady Pioneers had in erasing a 44-25 3rd qtr. McMinn lead and coming from behind in one of the most amazing comebacks I've seen in a state championship game since the UC boys came back on Manassas in 2008. Talking with the GC Lady Pioneers in the media room after the game- the Miss Basketball award never came up and I can assure you that Heather was the happiest young lady in the room with another state championship for her team as all five of the Lady Pioneer starters were in the room. They are outstanding young ladies both on and off the court as I've known Aubrey since she was just a toddler(who does an amazing rendition of a dolphin laugh by the way. LOL) and all are outstanding people and really worked their tails off to repeat as state champs.

From watching the replay of the game in question that was discussed on here between OC/Westview in the region semifinals- yes it appears in super slow motion as I watch the CH.7 WBBJ tape later that evening that was filmed right underneath the basket, it shows that Fussell did walk(I counted 3 steps) but as I've stated before- a 15 point lead with around 3:00 left in the third-- many factors worked in Westview's favor and against OC.. The play of Rechis in that 4th qtr.- several missed free throws on Oc's part, key turnovers(unforced) early in the game that don't get talked about because it didn't happen in the late parts of the game. It's just not one particular play tha cost OC the game.

That's all in the past though and as I've stated before- best of luck to all the seniors in 13AA who gave us some outstanding basketball for these past four seasons. Two teams from the same district making the final four of the state, one of which won back to back state titles and another winning a Miss Basketball award. yes, I've seen and announced a lot of basketball games involving our 13AA teams and am proud of all of their accomplishments and wish them the best at the next level. :mrgreen:

First of all, Chassidy averages more assists than Butler does. Maybe you should have bought a Media Guide at the State Tournament comparing stats. So you tell me how she is a ball hog when as you say 'Butler has more of a surrounding cast than Fussell' but yet Chassidy averages more assists per game? And Chassidy is a SHOOTING guard (hint the word shooting) not a point guard and should therefore have less assists and more points. You people obviously don't have a clue how the game is supposed to work. The players have 'roles' on the floor. Point guard-passes. Shooting guard- SHOOTS. 3 guard- shoots when the 2 guard isn't open. 4-is the second hand post player(big forward). Post players- stay under the basket and post up. And furthermore it is much easier for someone to score when they are not being double and triple teamed as Chassidy was for the past two years. And in response to the 'booing', Chassidy mentioned in the media room that she considers that to be motivation to get even better than she already is. And she also said that without 'haters', the game wouldn't be as exciting...... And as far as the 'four steps', i'm sure someone would love to send you a game film because it was clearly not a walk (Channel 7 news showed it repeatedly from front view). Chassidy did everthing that she could for her team for the past two years. You people need to quit talking about all of these players like they can't read. Be positive about their accomplishments.

I was surprised to see that Fussell averages more assists than Butler. IMO, Butler makes those around her better players. There is no doubt that both of these girls are great players! I don't know Fussell, but Butler is a class act on & off the court. Congratulations to both on their high school careers & best of luck at the next level. To all the 13AA seniors, we will sure miss you!! The best compliment you can receive is for someone to say - "she's a great ball player & she's an even better person". May that always be your goal!!

ok, so i have seen Chassidy play everytime she has played GC since her soph year. In my opinion, she isnt as good as people put out. i mean dont get me wrong she is good. do i think she is Texas Longhorn good, No. do i think that if she stayed in state and played around here she would be a stand out, probably so. i think that there should be a new set up as to how a Miss Basketball finalist is announced and chosen. i think the ceremony should take place after the tournament. it would give those who are still playing a shot at showing some of the voters why they should win. i know some of the finalists dont always make it to the tourny but i think those last 3 games, if they play in all three, should be taken in consideration. that bein said Heather Butler was the Miss Basketball of Class 2A. hands down. Yelling at the refs and team mates when your losing doesnt show me that that person is "miss basketball". Butler never did that. i think that one of the considerations the judges looked at was Chassidy was goin to Texas. they prolly thought, well she MUST be ms basketball if she is goin to such a big school. in my opinon, having played college ball, ive seen some great athelets go to small schools and stand out and be a great college athelete. and ive seen some of the same type atheletes go to bigger schools and just be medioker. i hope Fussell goes down there and does a good job, but if you ask me, i would not be suprised that she goes down there for a year maybe two, and decides to come back and play somewhere smaller. but i hope she proves me wrong

Well 'proudfather', everyone has an opinion, but obviously yours didnt matter on this voting :thumb: Coach G is very well respected and her opinion is that Chassidy is good enough to go and PLAY at Texas. If you have only seen Chassidy play six games in the past three years, how can you even have an opinion about her? You watched her get double and triple teamed and still came out getting 30 points and triple doubles. If she's 'not as good as everyone puts out', why does the coach of EVERY team she plays against double and triple team her(INCLUDING Gibson County)? I agree that Amber Rechis and Heather Butler are also very good basketball players and commend them for their achievements. Good luck to all of these players as they continue their careers in college.

PROUDERFAN B)

Congratulations to all the winners. In "A" I think Terrah Garner should have been a nominee. She was top girls' scorer in Middle TN and maybe in the state. She helped Pickett Co. go to the state last year and they led Jackson Co. by 8 in the region this year before lsoing by 5...better than anyone in the state tournament did against Jackson Co. While I was happy to see Molly Heady and Laken Leonard nominated, I think that Beth Hawn deserved to win it this year.

She didn't get double teamed this year or last year against GC. Last year we put Brittney Garner guarding her and this year we put Sophomore Courtney Haynes guarding her and at times Butler was guarding her.

THANKS GCP, you got to it before i did. i never said she wasnt good "proudfan" lol. thanks for makin fun of my name tho. real mature. i gave her props sayin she was good and i hope she proves me wrong on sayin i dont think she is Texas good. your right i didnt see her play but those times she played GC. so what, that was the best competition besides playin westview, she was gonna see. and im gonna be willin to say shes gonna see ALOT better in the big 12 and other opponents at texas. but for the record, im not sayin she isnt good, cuz she is but so is heather butler, aubrey reedy, heather griffin..

also, she was OC's team. she may of had more assists and more points than butler but heck, butler wasnt the only one doin all the work on the team as was Fussell. if butler shot the ball as much as that girl did my gosh lol.. but thats also why gc has a gold ball and OC doesnt this year, butler isnt selfish, they played as a team.