McMinn Central -vs- Gibson County for AA State Championship

blitzinbuc

Good answer! woodvegas; first timeout at 4:42 left in the third....up 12, second timeout with 3:36 left in the third,still up 9,television announcers comment at 3:10 left in the third,"McMinn's trying to slow things down", score 46-37.I thought that M.C.'s aggressiveness in attacking G.C.'s press was the key factor in gaining a 19 point advantage to begin with, but they ratcheted up the pressure another notch.I would not envy anyone trying to slow the game down against that kind of agressive trapping defense,it's designed to speed up the game and force lateral passes,which it did.Put the same teams in the same cirmstances 10 more times,and I'm not sure how many more times G.C. comes back to win,if any,but the fact remains that they did it when they had to. Like I said before,My hats off to both teams for the awesome efforts and refuse to lose attitudes demonstrated,it's truly a shame that there had to be only one winner,Iwont even use the L**** word. :thumb:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure...if I'm ahead by 19 in the 3rd quarter and the other team starts to make a run I'm going to call a timeout then slow the game down and play four corners if I have to. I would do whatever it took to keep the championship game from slipping away from me.

Didn't work so well for Westview the day before did it??

UH, I don't remember Westview being up by 19 during that game. Anybody else remember that? The two ?? offensive fouls on Jacey Sims got in their heads and things turned from there. IMHO.

Sounds like it was a great game but to be ahead by 19 points in the 3rd quarter and then lose is a major choke and/or coaching failure.

I don't think it was a choke or a failure. Central held Butler to less than 10 in the first half. She just got her rythem in the second half. She only had 28 for the game.

We'll never know what difference an entry in a quality holiday tourney, or a slightly stronger schedule, could have made for McMinn Cen.

Good answer! woodvegas; first timeout at 4:42 left in the third....up 12, second timeout with 3:36 left in the third,still up 9,television announcers comment at 3:10 left in the third,"McMinn's trying to slow things down", score 46-37.I thought that M.C.'s aggressiveness in attacking G.C.'s press was the key factor in gaining a 19 point advantage to begin with, but they ratcheted up the pressure another notch.I would not envy anyone trying to slow the game down against that kind of agressive trapping defense,it's designed to speed up the game and force lateral passes,which it did.Put the same teams in the same cirmstances 10 more times,and I'm not sure how many more times G.C. comes back to win,if any,but the fact remains that they did it when they had to. Like I said before,My hats off to both teams for the awesome efforts and refuse to lose attitudes demonstrated,it's truly a shame that there had to be only one winner,Iwont even use the L**** word. :thumb:

Here's a quote from McMinn's coach after the Westview game..."During timeouts in games like that, we don't make adjustments. The only thing I know is to tell them to keep fighting," said McMinn Central coach Johnny Morgan.

Hmmmm, he might want to rethink that strategy.

I guess my point is this...Do you believe there is such a thing as a team choking? If you do then how many points does a team have to be ahead in the 3rd quarter and end up losing before you apply the choke label...15...20...25??? It's just my opinion and other people may have a different one but this falls into my choke category...sorry.

Sounds like it was a great game but to be ahead by 19 points in the 3rd quarter and then lose is a major choke and/or coaching failure.

I don't think it was a choke or a failure. Central held Butler to less than 10 in the first half. She just got her rythem in the second half. She only had 28 for the game.

We'll never know what difference an entry in a quality holiday tourney, or a slightly stronger schedule, could have made for McMinn Cen.

They'd played Westview and Greenville the previous two games. After that the schedule should have made no difference. But if it still did, they did play a pretty good Polk team four times, Polk was not bad at all in games they didn't shoot 14-29 from the line like in their state tournament game. Polk lost by 4 to the team that ended up finishing runner-up in the Georgia AAAA state tournament. McMinn Central played Class AAA Maryville early and beat Arts and Sciences that made the Class A semifinals. They won at region champ Cannon County on the road. They scheduled Chattanooga Christian which was expected to have a strong team (and gave Livingston a pretty good game) but CCS ended up with their two best players on the bench due to injury. That's out of McMinn Central's hands. So is the fact they had Bradley Central, Oliver Springs, Stone, Webb on the schedule and those teams weren't as good as in previous years. McMinn County naturally will be played every year, and they can't help two of their district opponents are still building.

I agree with what Coach Morgan said in the Chattanooga paper. If you're up by 19, get ahead by 29. Stalling is probably the best idea against some teams but not Gibson. If shots were made everybody would be saying "what a great strategy."

Scheduling didn't make any difference with Gibson County....They haven't exactly played world-beaters outside their district....

I would have like to have seen this & last year's GC squad play some better competition...It would have been something to see GC play a Millington, Mem Central, Riverdale, Mt. Juliet or Morristown West or some good out-of-state competition....It might have meant a couple more losses here or there but they would have been exposed to that level of competition...

* I know GC plays in summer camps against some of these teams but that isn't the same as real game situations *

Would like to congratulate polk co for having zero class..We cheered for yall in your first round game, yet in the championship game you sit in our section and cheer for gibson...I understand we're rivals but way to have no class..

I dont and probably will never understand this...but how can you not support your own district/region. Sure you may be rivals...But seriously.

Who else do want Gibson Co to play out of district? For the past 3-4 years the 13AA has had teams in the top 5 in the state consistently. They don't have to play anyone else in my opinion. They play these teams at least twice a year and sometimes more during tournaments. Also, earlier on there were Class A had some good teams as well who have won state championships and have beaten Gibson Co. Gibson co. has 2 consecutive Gold Balls based on the schedule they play....pretty darn good in my opinion! :mrgreen:

Would like to congratulate polk co for having zero class..We cheered for yall in your first round game, yet in the championship game you sit in our section and cheer for gibson...I understand we're rivals but way to have no class..

Polk County kids were just jealous that they weren't good enough to make it the finals! That just shows they have NO class!!!!!!!!

Way to go Chargerettes on a great season and great game! You made us all proud of you!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I get sick and tired of people on here talking about other teams not playing a tough schedule. I notice those are mainly the one's who don't make it to the 'boro. :shock:

That's all that was said about GC last year and some this year, and now I hear some saying the same about MC. Get over it! The top two AA teams played in the state championship game and boy was it a game to remember for a long time. MC and GC dominated the top of the polls all year, with the exception of OC's short time in the top spot, and that was only because the pulled off a win against GC. So enough of the schedule crap. I think these two teams proved themselves to everyone, and if you saw that game yesterday, there would be no doubts. :mrgreen:

this is to woodvegas on your post about the coach choking.. i had no idea that you coached and you have been to 11 state tourneys and that you have been to championship game.. please inform me your techniques.. so really what i am trying to say is shutup yes thats your opinion and no cares about it.... both teams played outstanding and they were very good and the coaches were outstanding so just layoff on the coach morgan.. you have no idea how much pressure was on him..