New Lake Co. Boys Basketball coach

mrbigster

Union City won and we were lucky to even be in the game if you ask me. I was surprised to say the least. Coach had a good game plan on how to slow Union City down by playing a 1-2-2 zone. If Channing would have just hit his free throws we would have won the game. And the shot that beat us was a impossible shot to hit. He was fading away from the basket when he made that shot. Great shot, union city won, and we have a moral victory by playing Union City the closes of any team they played in their undefeated season.

You don't even have that....UC beat Raytown South out of Kansas City in Poplar Bluff on a Pat Polk 3/4 court shot at the buzzer after being down 11 with about 3 minutes left in the game.....

I know speller..facts..... :blush:

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just dont think having a woman coaching boys as old as high school age is a good idea. I really dont think it will work out very well. Now, Lake Co. will still win a lot of games with the talent they have, but I really dont see this working out at all. Take Kim Decker at Dyersburg for example. She's a great girls coach, but she didnt do well as the boys coach at all.

About Coach Whitby, he's gone Lake Co. fans. He's not there anymore. Show him a little more respect. He was a great coach in his day. I would have had him as my coach any day...any time...any where... any place. He was a great coach, and he got the most out of those boys. NOw, at Lake Co., I admit that he was not the same as he was at Obion Central. But, yalll still won a whole lot of games in the toughest, single A district in the state.

Well seems Coach Barger has got off to a good start as the Lake County Boys went 2-1 today at camp at MTSU. They beat Pillow out of Mississippi by 20, lost to Science Hill by 5 and beat Pearl Cohn by in the last game of the night. Pretty good competition. they play three tomorrow and will post results on them tomorrow night. Good job Coach B and keep those boys playing well!

Day #2 Falcons go 2-1 again as they posted wins over Belmont, MS by 15, and Warren County by 10 or 12 can't exactly remember. They lost to Lassiter out of GA . This morning they lost to Marist, GA by 5 but had plenty of chances to win. They finish today at 11 by playing Gateway out of St. Louis. Not a bad camp showing by LC and their new HC. They will be at Martin in camp next week and then Dade Co., GA the final week before dead period

I just dont think having a woman coaching boys as old as high school age is a good idea. I really dont think it will work out very well. Now, Lake Co. will still win a lot of games with the talent they have, but I really dont see this working out at all. Take Kim Decker at Dyersburg for example. She's a great girls coach, but she didnt do well as the boys coach at all.

About Coach Whitby, he's gone Lake Co. fans. He's not there anymore. Show him a little more respect. He was a great coach in his day. I would have had him as my coach any day...any time...any where... any place. He was a great coach, and he got the most out of those boys. NOw, at Lake Co., I admit that he was not the same as he was at Obion Central. But, yalll still won a whole lot of games in the toughest, single A district in the state.

I agree with everything you said about Coach Whitby.Lake Co did win a lot of games.Had Coach Barger been there the past few seasons,I'm not so sure as maybe you and Purple or some others that think Lake Co wouldn't have done much..I personally think Lake Co would have went to the Boro.I believe in a lot of games last year that Lake Co just went through the motions against some less talented teams and didn't look as impressive.But against Humboldt and Union City,at least saw a different kind of team...and a lot more effort.I believe Lake Co now has a coach that will start her best players and try to put the hammer down and hopefully get a big lead before subbing..Not start the 3rd string..Maybe not starting some of them if they don't listen or not do what they should be doing.I read Wardawg's post below and havent had a chance to watch them yet but do know Rafael Tyler,Devon Jones,Derek Swift,Ricky Boyd and Caleb Bledsoe are all back so that alone tells me they hace some talent.And none of them are seniors.I look for Gauldin to play more minutes this year.Could even be starting.I know there are a few more talented players but not sure if they're playing.Lake Co will be one of the top teams in Single A in my opinion.Another thing I like is Lake Co will now have someone that will be in the flow of the game.In other words.if Lake Co has a 3 point lead with 6 seconds to play and only have 2 fouls called against them..call a timeout or at least let the team know we can foul several times without them getting a shot..And hopefully if Lake Co is playing a team as talented as Humboldt,at least as far as athletes but maybe dont have the shooters from the outside..just maybe Lake Co knows what a zone is.Not give a team 15 easy shots under the basket.I'm excited about the team this year and about Coach Barger.I believe she's going to make a lot of believers out of a lot of people.And as far as Coach Decker not winning at Dyersburg..Come on guys..I live in Dyer Co.She had no chance to win.Most of the team graduated and the team ,including her son were mostly freshmen and sophmores.Had she had last years team,believe she would have done much better.And also..look at the teams those young guys had to play..Had Coach Decker been at Lake Co the past several seasons.believe Lake Co would have been in the Boro..And I believe Coach Barger is going to do the same ..this year maybe..next year a lot better chance barring injuries,tranfers or some unforseen happenings.

I agree with everything you said about Coach Whitby.Lake Co did win a lot of games.Had Coach Barger been there the past few seasons,I'm not so sure as maybe you and Purple or some others that think Lake Co wouldn't have done much..I personally think Lake Co would have went to the Boro.I believe in a lot of games last year that Lake Co just went through the motions against some less talented teams and didn't look as impressive.But against Humboldt and Union City,at least saw a different kind of team...and a lot more effort.I believe Lake Co now has a coach that will start her best players and try to put the hammer down and hopefully get a big lead before subbing..Not start the 3rd string..Maybe not starting some of them if they don't listen or not do what they should be doing.I read Wardawg's post below and havent had a chance to watch them yet but do know Rafael Tyler,Devon Jones,Derek Swift,Ricky Boyd and Caleb Bledsoe are all back so that alone tells me they hace some talent.And none of them are seniors.I look for Gauldin to play more minutes this year.Could even be starting.I know there are a few more talented players but not sure if they're playing.Lake Co will be one of the top teams in Single A in my opinion.Another thing I like is Lake Co will now have someone that will be in the flow of the game.In other words.if Lake Co has a 3 point lead with 6 seconds to play and only have 2 fouls called against them..call a timeout or at least let the team know we can foul several times without them getting a shot..And hopefully if Lake Co is playing a team as talented as Humboldt,at least as far as athletes but maybe dont have the shooters from the outside..just maybe Lake Co knows what a zone is.Not give a team 15 easy shots under the basket.I'm excited about the team this year and about Coach Barger.I believe she's going to make a lot of believers out of a lot of people.And as far as Coach Decker not winning at Dyersburg..Come on guys..I live in Dyer Co.She had no chance to win.Most of the team graduated and the team ,including her son were mostly freshmen and sophmores.Had she had last years team,believe she would have done much better.And also..look at the teams those young guys had to play..Had Coach Decker been at Lake Co the past several seasons.believe Lake Co would have been in the Boro..And I believe Coach Barger is going to do the same ..this year maybe..next year a lot better chance barring injuries,tranfers or some unforseen happenings.

Mr Bigster LC will be just fine! :D

I just wonder how much of the starting line-ups Whitby put out on the court alot of the times had to do with the way the kids practiced ??...It was pretty evident, at times, that the players had lost respect for Whitby....Whitby's only way to curb a lack of effort or attention in practice would be to not to start certain individuals...Just speculating here....Of course, he would do that against lesser teams...I don't remember any third string starting against Union City or Humboldt...

bigster, I don't believe Whitby was the only guy that could have turned around the program at LCHS but he was the one hired to do the job...For the most part he did do an excellent job...

I just wonder how much of the starting line-ups Whitby put out on the court alot of the times had to do with the way the kids practiced ??...It was pretty evident, at times, that the players had lost respect for Whitby....Whitby's only way to curb a lack of effort or attention in practice would be to not to start certain individuals...Just speculating here....Of course, he would do that against lesser teams...I don't remember any third string starting against Union City or Humboldt...

bigster, I don't believe Whitby was the only guy that could have turned around the program at LCHS but he was the one hired to do the job...For the most part he did do an excellent job...

I agree that he did an excellent job for the most part but the past 3 years he did hardly any coaching .Could have been his health had taken its toll.I only saw a few games when he was at Central.I did see the Central State championship against Austin East.When Cannon and Denver and Robin Cude played did he sit them out or only when they were in foul trouble?I'll admit that against Union City and Humboldt he usually played his best ball players ,even if that meant going with 7 players.I not a Coach Whitby hater.Lake Co was winning but at the same time had Lake Co had the Whitby of old,would have not lost those games to Union City with M.J. Brown and company..would have not lost to Trenton in the tournament several years ago when Trenton drove the lane for a layup at the buzzer and losing to them last year with a 3 point lead with about 8 seconds left to play and up by 3 points and had about 4 fouls to give.The old Whitby wouldnt have lost those games .No need to keep harping on it.A new era is about to start and I believe people are going to be surprised.Coach Barger will do a fine job and you'll see a coach on the sideline that's in the game.!

I agree that he did an excellent job for the most part but the past 3 years he did hardly any coaching .Could have been his health had taken its toll.I only saw a few games when he was at Central.I did see the Central State championship against Austin East.When Cannon and Denver and Robin Cude played did he sit them out or only when they were in foul trouble?I'll admit that against Union City and Humboldt he usually played his best ball players ,even if that meant going with 7 players.I not a Coach Whitby hater.Lake Co was winning but at the same time had Lake Co had the Whitby of old,would have not lost those games to Union City with M.J. Brown and company..would have not lost to Trenton in the tournament several years ago when Trenton drove the lane for a layup at the buzzer and losing to them last year with a 3 point lead with about 8 seconds left to play and up by 3 points and had about 4 fouls to give.The old Whitby wouldnt have lost those games .No need to keep harping on it.A new era is about to start and I believe people are going to be surprised.Coach Barger will do a fine job and you'll see a coach on the sideline that's in the game.!

Again...He was losing to the Sisco's before MJ Brown.... :D

I doubt he ever didn't start Cannon or Denver...They were his sons.... :wub:

I was at that game in Nashville as well.....

Again...He was losing to the Sisco's before MJ Brown.... :D

I doubt he ever didn't start Cannon or Denver...They were his sons.... :wub:

I was at that game in Nashville as well.....

I understand those were his sons.Did he ever sit Robin Cude down and maybe start a 3rd stringer.Or sit out Cude and maybe a couple more starters..even against a lesser opponent?I'm just curious?How would the Central faithful had felt if they'd driven about 60 miles to a game and about 3 starters on the bench?

I believe Lake Co has someone now that will go toe to toe with Sisco this year..even if it is a woman.Coach Whitby basically was just on the bench the past several seasons.Hardly said anything to the officials about questioning a call.Sisco goes crazy on the sidelines sometimes.whether it be hollering or laughing at the officials about a call.He gets his point across in a lot of different ways.Coach Whitby couldnt do any of that.Last year in Kentucky,Lake Co was playing Union City.Coach Whitby was trying to get a timeout .Couldn't get the officials attention.Coach Sisco looked at the official and pointed at Coach Whitby,letting them know Coach Whitby wanted a timeout.Kinda like ..I know we're rivals but I still respect you .Kinda showed a little passion,something that a lot of people don't see in Sisco.Had it been a tournament game not sure that would have happened.

bigster...I doubt Robin ever laid down on Whitby or gave him any reason not to start him...

His health and personal losses are THE reasons for what became of his court-side manner....Had it been the Whitby of old those kids would never, ever tried anything or not hustled or done anything but played hard for him...He didn't forget how to coach all of a sudden...He probably has forgotten more than some of the coaches around here that have a job will ever know about the game of basketball...

I wish that he would have gone out on his own terms, I think he deserved that...

Whitby would sit kids from time to time at central. He sat Matt Harris against DC. I was in junior high and went to the game. Harris never came out of his warmups. I think Cude was the only starter to play 50% of the game.

Everyone knows coach Whitby lost something with his coaching when his health started to take a turn for the worst.

If Coach Barger can get respect from the boys and keep it, good things will happen at LC