District 13AA Preview

cmeister

Just 73 days until fall practice begins! Here is the outlook for last year's top two teams. Look forward to hearing about the other seven, and another fun year of football.

Milan (14-1, D13AA Champions, lost to Alcoa in 3A championship)

Key players: Sr RB/DB Trey Milan (191 yds rushing; 50 tackles, 2 INT); Sr RB/DB Rodney Nance (189 yds rushing, 2 TD; 60 tackles, 3 INT); Sr OL/DL Quan Crudup (44 tackles, 2 sacks); Sr TE/DT Christian Coleman (37 tackles, 1 sack); Sr QB/DB Zach Denton (33 tackles, 1 INT); Jr RB/LB VaShawn Graves (49 tackles, 1 INT)

While Milan always seems to reload rather than rebuild, the Bulldogs must replace their starting quarterback (Ryan), leading rusher (Gilbert), leading receiver (Moore), leading tackler (Williamson) and kicker/punter (Moody).

--

Crockett Co. (11-2, D13AA runner-up, lost to Liberty in 4A quarterfinal)

Key players: Sr RB/LB Austin Taylor (763 yds rushing, 20 TD; 104 tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT); Sr RB/DB Kyle Nance (658 yds rushing, 5 TD); Sr TE/LB Jesse Stroud (65 tackles, 1 INT); Sr RB/DL Dustin Taylor (56 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 INT); Jr RB/DB Jonathan Jurnett (348 yds rushing, 5 TD)

Crockett Co. loses their starting quarterback (Speaker), leading rusher/receiver (Bass) and kicker (Dimas). But Nance, Stroud and the Taylors lead the way for 28 returning lettermen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bump. Following my last post, Crockett Co. is again in search mode for a head coach. Obion Central tied perennial 1A power Huntingdon in a scrimmage two weeks ago. Early reports out of Dyersburg and Martin set high expectations for those two squads this year, as well.

Watch out for the Rebels this year.....Their offense is as good as anybody's in the district.....Led by Junior Trey Phipps at quarterback, I won't be surprised to see them back in the playoffs again this year....

Just 73 days until fall practice begins! Here is the outlook for last year's top two teams. Look forward to hearing about the other seven, and another fun year of football.

Milan (14-1, D13AA Champions, lost to Alcoa in 3A championship)

Key players: Sr RB/DB Trey Milan (191 yds rushing; 50 tackles, 2 INT); Sr RB/DB Rodney Nance (189 yds rushing, 2 TD; 60 tackles, 3 INT); Sr OL/DL Quan Crudup (44 tackles, 2 sacks); Sr TE/DT Christian Coleman (37 tackles, 1 sack); Sr QB/DB Zach Denton (33 tackles, 1 INT); Jr RB/LB VaShawn Graves (49 tackles, 1 INT)

While Milan always seems to reload rather than rebuild, the Bulldogs must replace their starting quarterback (Ryan), leading rusher (Gilbert), leading receiver (Moore), leading tackler (Williamson) and kicker/punter (Moody).

--

Crockett Co. (11-2, D13AA runner-up, lost to Liberty in 4A quarterfinal)

Key players: Sr RB/LB Austin Taylor (763 yds rushing, 20 TD; 104 tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT); Sr RB/DB Kyle Nance (658 yds rushing, 5 TD); Sr TE/LB Jesse Stroud (65 tackles, 1 INT); Sr RB/DL Dustin Taylor (56 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 INT); Jr RB/DB Jonathan Jurnett (348 yds rushing, 5 TD)

Crockett Co. loses their starting quarterback (Speaker), leading rusher/receiver (Bass) and kicker (Dimas). But Nance, Stroud and the Taylors lead the way for 28 returning lettermen.

Milan will be Milan and win their share of games no doubt. The Chargers from WV from what i am hearing will be the team to beat. CC will also be a tough out! Should be very interesting this season! :popcorneater:

Bump. Following my last post, Crockett Co. is again in search mode for a head coach. Obion Central tied perennial 1A power Huntingdon in a scrimmage two weeks ago. Early reports out of Dyersburg and Martin set high expectations for those two squads this year, as well.

Watch out for the Rebels this year.....Their offense is as good as anybody's in the district.....Led by Junior Trey Phipps at quarterback, I won't be surprised to see them back in the playoffs again this year....

I will be very surprised if they see the playoffs again. The Haskins and Carey kids graduated I'm pretty sure so look for them to be back down 0-10, or 1-9 if they manage to beat Gibson Co. The money bet will be on Milan, Westview, and Crockett like usual.

• 2 weeks later...

Who does Milan have that is going to fill all those guys??? I know they are a serious football town but how can you rebuild that fast to have a winning season....Don't get me wrong they are the only team i think that can rebuild that fast...That town has purple in there veins and LOVE there football.

I will be very surprised if they see the playoffs again. The Haskins and Carey kids graduated I'm pretty sure so look for them to be back down 0-10, or 1-9 if they manage to beat Gibson Co. The money bet will be on Milan, Westview, and Crockett like usual.

Won't happen....

6-4 or 7-3..Probably will be better overall as a unit offensively, without a doubt through the air they will be better...No, they don't have the Haskins kid...His yards and points will be hard to replace by one player but not by two or three....They will have to get better defensively...They have a new coordinator that didn't get to work with the team in the spring much or at all...Putting a "W" on the schedule by OC will be a mistake...Jackson has this program headed in the right direction and the Rebels will make you earn a victory over them now.....

Who does Milan have that is going to fill all those guys??? I know they are a serious football town but how can you rebuild that fast to have a winning season....Don't get me wrong they are the only team i think that can rebuild that fast...That town has purple in there veins and LOVE there football.
Heard the sophomore class is the next big time class at Milan. Starting QB, MLB, WR, and 2 RBs are Sophs. All supposed to be very good. The O Line should also be much improved.

I heard that one of our coaches from Obion has now been hired in the same capacity at Haywood. I know that coach P did a great job hear with these boys, and I can only imagine he'll do that down in Brownsville. Haywood may be tough now that he's there. Obion doesn't play them in the regular season, but it could easily be a playoff matchup. My beloved alma mater Dyersburg is gonna be mediocre at best I'm afraid. Our coach was decent at Haywood with all those athletes, but now is being exposed with lesser talent. Another season like last year and I'm afraid he'll be shown the door. And I would hope so. Good luck to the Rebels and Trojans this season, and the Tomcats except against those two. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Haywood is going to be a very dangerous team this year. Some might be overlooking them a bit for now. The QB will be back for his Senior season and will have plenty of talent around him to make things happen. Also, the head coach now has a full season under his belt and knows what he'll be working with within his team and against Region/District opponents.

Milan will once again be Milan. As long as Coach Morris is in Milan, they will win and be in the playoffs which will always put them as a state champion contender from the west. Milan lost a big Senior class last year that had some great talent. They will be back again this year and be back in the playoffs once again.

Coach Pratt is back for 1 more year for Crockett Co. As good as a coach as he is, he should make it another 10-15 years, lol. Crockett Co. will once again be dominating opposing teams defensive line with the double wing smash mouth offense that they will bring at you. I think I read on this thread where Crockett had around 25 lettermen coming in for their Senior season this year. That will be a HUGE advantage especially with Pratt coming back.

Those are the top 3 in no specific order. This District will once again be tough for every team week in and week out. Should make for a great season and it couldn't get here quick enough! Dead period starts either this week or next week. Once it's over, the pads will be popping!

I think Westview will be in the hunt. They have a big group of seniors coming back. Their quarterback is a 3 year starter for them. I dont think you can talk about the area without including Westview. This may be the the year that Milan is down and Westview wins over them. That should be an away game for the Bulldogs. You have to look at each team and see if it's a building year, and I think Milan is in a building year. Not that they wont be strong - they may be, but I think compared to others who are not in building years, they may not be powerhouse strong. I think Westview is being overlooked in the top 3.