Booster Clubs and Fundraising!

Slider

As programs look for new ways to meet the rising needs and costs. I ask the following.

1. Whats better a 501c3 business or a parent group with a check book?

2. What is your top fundraiser?

3. Do you do small fundraisers or big fundraisers?

4. What does the annual budget look like for small, medium and large schools.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out Kroger.com

They will donate 4% of your purchases of pharmacy, grocery, and fuel - just by using their preassigned (to your nonprofit) gift cards. We have about 10 baseball players participating, and we average around $300 a month. Better than selling overpriced cookie dough!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Wow,not a hot topic,I guess. Anyone have any unusual revenue generators that would serve to promote the kids and/or the team to the community? Out of 95 counties it's hard to believe that everyone has the standard car wash,barbecue chicken sale!

My guess is fund-raising is like fishing or hunting. Why would I want other folks to know where I catch all my fish or get all my big bucks? :roflolk:

Several teams work with both the Titans and Predators to raise funds.

The best fundraiser is a wealthy individual or business that will write your program one very large check every year but those people are very difficult to find.

Wow,not a hot topic,I guess. Anyone have any unusual revenue generators that would serve to promote the kids and/or the team to the community? Out of 95 counties it's hard to believe that everyone has the standard car wash,barbecue chicken sale!

My guess is fund-raising is like fishing or hunting. Why would I want other folks to know where I catch all my fish or get all my big bucks? :roflolk:

:o I suspected as much! Didn't ask under which white oak that ten-point was shot under,just if he was eatin' white oak acorns! :o

As programs look for new ways to meet the rising needs and costs. I ask the following.

1. Whats better a 501c3 business or a parent group with a check book?

2. What is your top fundraiser?

3. Do you do small fundraisers or big fundraisers?

4. What does the annual budget look like for small, medium and large schools.

1. The way I understand it, the state now requires booster clubs to be run through the school with a school employee 'sponsor' overseeing the club. There are pros and cons to running booster club money through the school, in the old days a 501c would have been the best way to go.

2. Depends. Our booster club runs the concession stand as our primary fundraiser.

3. Multiple small fundraisers. Aforementioned Preds, Titans or similar fundraisers, Smart Cards, 100 inning games, car washes, outfield signage, chicken or rib sales, pancake breakfasts and the like. Concessions during regular season are somewhat limited. Summer tournaments make as much in a shorter period of time. We fundraise year round. Donations for materials and labor for improvements help.

4. Our AA school runs about $25k to $30k most years.

• 2 months later...

A fundraiser I know some teams do is for the school to have 2 travel teams for the summer and charge the players whatever amount you want. There is nothing in TSSAA rules that says you can't do it. If you had a 15u team and a 17u team with a total of about 30-35 players and charge $400.00 each that's about $12,000.00-$14,000.00. Of course out of that you would have to pay for umpires,ins. and trny fees. Play about 30 games for each team pay out about $3,500.00 total and you have made some money.

• 2 weeks later...

And the coaches for these summer teams are coaching 2 teams out of the goodness of their hearts? My guess, is that's how the coaching staff supplements their income and keeps their teams playing all summer. Maybe even use the younger age group as a tryout. Whatever's left over might go in the coffers.

• 2 weeks later...

And the coaches for these summer teams are coaching 2 teams out of the goodness of their hearts? My guess, is that's how the coaching staff supplements their income and keeps their teams playing all summer. Maybe even use the younger age group as a tryout. Whatever's left over might go in the coffers.

You are correct sir. They (coaches of forced summer programs)tell the kids that they are being selfish if they don't play for the school team in the summer. The baseball coaches with a baseball background will provide a team so that guys will play in the summer and only charge what it really costs to play and not line their pockets and allow the other players to go play on a more competitive team if they so chose. The other coaches that have a forced summer program tell the kids they must play and you will pay this said amount and they(the coach)will benefit from it personally. What happens then is the guys that are backups during the real school season still don't get to play that much in the summer. Someone needs to do some research and find out if the state finalists have the forced baseball programs. Lets see Farragut, they have a pretty good squad and have done ok lately. They do not have the forced summer program. Mt Juliet from the midstate doesnt have the forced summer program, they have done the best lately from middle TN. Lipscomb no force, Goodpasture no force, those 2 teams seem to do alright. When Smyrna had Sonny Gray he didn't play on school summer team and they went to the state his sr year. So bottom line about the forced summer program is money and it aint "it will make our team better". TSSAA says it's legal so back to the fund raiser the coach can charge what he wants and make you play for him or he can kick you off the team. Now if you are a good player that coach will have a different set of rules for you cause he does want to win during real school season.

You are correct sir. They (coaches of forced summer programs)tell the kids that they are being selfish if they don't play for the school team in the summer. The baseball coaches with a baseball background will provide a team so that guys will play in the summer and only charge what it really costs to play and not line their pockets and allow the other players to go play on a more competitive team if they so chose. The other coaches that have a forced summer program tell the kids they must play and you will pay this said amount and they(the coach)will benefit from it personally. What happens then is the guys that are backups during the real school season still don't get to play that much in the summer. Someone needs to do some research and find out if the state finalists have the forced baseball programs. Lets see Farragut, they have a pretty good squad and have done ok lately. They do not have the forced summer program. Mt Juliet from the midstate doesnt have the forced summer program, they have done the best lately from middle TN. Lipscomb no force, Goodpasture no force, those 2 teams seem to do alright. When Smyrna had Sonny Gray he didn't play on school summer team and they went to the state his sr year. So bottom line about the forced summer program is money and it aint "it will make our team better". TSSAA says it's legal so back to the fund raiser the coach can charge what he wants and make you play for him or he can kick you off the team. Now if you are a good player that coach will have a different set of rules for you cause he does want to win during real school season.

so apparently you are not in a good situation...at RIVERDALE we played together for the summer and the fee was less than half of what it would have cost me if my son played for another team...our coach does a good job of letting everyone play we usually play doubleheaders so if you didnt play in the first you would play in the second one so while you may be in a bad situation our experience was a great one at RIVERDALE plus we always had fun with other parents

One of the best ways I have found to make a lot of money is by doing what you do...have games. Tournaments make good money especially if you can have a sponsor. Each game during the season and tournaments, have your parents (boosters) provide an all donated concessions stand. It means pure proffit for each game. Have parents who donate to concessions enter each game free. $5 worth of bottled water that a family brings each game makes you $25 or more pure proffit. Have your concessions coordinator make a list of needs and have the parents buy them in equal dollar amounts. The visitors will bring enough people to pay for umps and your concessions will double its money. The last time I did this we had tons of food/drinks and made $500 per day.

20 home games = big money.