13AA

redbirdfan

With back to back State Championships and another team in the final four of the state

both Gibson Co. and Westview showed everyone state wide the talent level in District 13AA over the past couple of years. But with heavy graduations to these two teams and another team losing a Miss Basketball to graduation at Obion Central, which team has the leg up in this district as the team to beat?? :mellow:

With back to back State Championships and another team in the final four of the state

both Gibson Co. and Westview showed everyone state wide the talent level in District 13AA over the past couple of years. But with heavy graduations to these two teams and another team losing a Miss Basketball to graduation at Obion Central, which team has the leg up in this district as the team to beat?? :mellow:

I think Obion Central is the preseason favorite. They return quite a bit off of last years team and will most likely have the better overall talent in the district.

Dyersburg is a team to watch as well. I'm not sure how good they'll be, but they definately have the athleticism and talent to have a very good year.

I still think Gibson Co. will be hanging around in the tops of the district. We may have lost the big three, however we return 2 other starters with state championship experience.

My personal opinion is if Dyersburg had a better coach, they'd definitely be a contender. I don't understand his coaching philosophy. When you have a combination on the floor that is meshing well together, why constantly swap your players. They play just a few minutes together and then they're back on the bench. The girls can't play consistently together enough to "gel". JMHO :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

I look for Westview,Obion Central,and maybe Gibson Co battle it out for the top spot.I've seen all the teams with the exception of Gibson co.I thought Westview looked good at the camps in Martin but not as impressive in dyersburg against Brighton.Obion Central wasn't particulary sharp against Lake Co but it's early still and maybe just one of those days.Plus,a 4:30 game that felt more like a scrimmage.I don't look for Dyersburg to be in the top 3 at least.They have some talent,K.K. Tate is about as good a player around but overall,they dont seem to score like they should and looks like something is missing.!

Also..GC Pioneer,I saw on the TSSAA Board agenda meeting that Pickett Co was wanting to drop football and play as an independent for two years because of a decline of students and that South Gibson was requesting to stay in Single A for the next two years even though they are 21 aboove the Single A limit.And it said Gibson Co was appealing their enrollment total.Are they saying it should be less?Trying to go to Single A or what.Thought they were a couple hundred or more over the Single A.Was curious to what they were appealing.Unless they are saying they have more students than being shown by the TSSAA and maybe wanting more funding from the stste for each student.

Edited by mrbigster

Clearly there is a different look to 13AA girls basketball this year. However, there is still alot of talent in 13AA that has been overshadowed by all the D1 graduates over the past few years. It will be interesting to see who steps up. Many of the preseason polls leave west TN teams out of the state tourney. I never give the polls much thought, but it will be fun to watch them change as the season progresses.

Clearly there is a different look to 13AA girls basketball this year. However, there is still alot of talent in 13AA that has been overshadowed by all the D1 graduates over the past few years. It will be interesting to see who steps up. Many of the preseason polls leave west TN teams out of the state tourney. I never give the polls much thought, but it will be fun to watch them change as the season progresses.

That doesn't surprise me any as to leaving West State teams out of pre-season rankings.

I look for Westview,Obion Central,and maybe Gibson Co battle it out for the top spot.I've seen all the teams with the exception of Gibson co.I thought Westview looked good at the camps in Martin but not as impressive in dyersburg against Brighton.Obion Central wasn't particulary sharp against Lake Co but it's early still and maybe just one of those days.Plus,a 4:30 game that felt more like a scrimmage.I don't look for Dyersburg to be in the top 3 at least.They have some talent,K.K. Tate is about as good a player around but overall,they dont seem to score like they should and looks like something is missing.!

Also..GC Pioneer,I saw on the TSSAA Board agenda meeting that Pickett Co was wanting to drop football and play as an independent for two years because of a decline of students and that South Gibson was requesting to stay in Single A for the next two years even though they are 21 aboove the Single A limit.And it said Gibson Co was appealing their enrollment total.Are they saying it should be less?Trying to go to Single A or what.Thought they were a couple hundred or more over the Single A.Was curious to what they were appealing.Unless they are saying they have more students than being shown by the TSSAA and maybe wanting more funding from the stste for each student.

Well man, Gibson Co. has seen a significant drop in students since South Gibson has been built. We have no chance in competing in football with the likes of a Ripley, Crockett Co., Obion Co., Westview etc. with the number of students we have. You saw how many players we had on the football team when you guys came to play us. Lake Co. might've had more players than us. I honestly wouldn't see us dropping down to 1A, but I could see us dropping to 2A in football with the way the current classes are. If we don't drop, the independent schedule will be our option. It won't hurt nothing as all 10 teams we played on our schedule this year made it to the playoffs. With an independent schedule, it'll give our players the chance to actually win some games, something that GC football hasn't seen in nearly 30 games now. In basketball, I could possibly see Gibson Co. dropping to Single A by the time the next reclassifications come around. If we do drop to Single A in basketball, everyone should be prepared because our Jr. Highs are LOADED right now with girls basketball talent.

Well man, Gibson Co. has seen a significant drop in students since South Gibson has been built. We have no chance in competing in football with the likes of a Ripley, Crockett Co., Obion Co., Westview etc. with the number of students we have. You saw how many players we had on the football team when you guys came to play us. Lake Co. might've had more players than us. I honestly wouldn't see us dropping down to 1A, but I could see us dropping to 2A in football with the way the current classes are. If we don't drop, the independent schedule will be our option. It won't hurt nothing as all 10 teams we played on our schedule this year made it to the playoffs. With an independent schedule, it'll give our players the chance to actually win some games, something that GC football hasn't seen in nearly 30 games now. In basketball, I could possibly see Gibson Co. dropping to Single A by the time the next reclassifications come around. If we do drop to Single A in basketball, everyone should be prepared because our Jr. Highs are LOADED right now with girls basketball talent.

Ok Thanks..If that happens,I llok for some great games.Lake Co middle is undefeated again..believe they are 3-0.Beat Northview by about 25 or 30 last night.They have a Yancey girl on the team and a girl named Lucy ,both 8 graders I believe.No way either of them would start next year with all the high school team back but should take Carnation and T.T's spot after next season.Plus may get a lot of playing time in a lot of games.So since everyone is back,will work out great.Then Tiana Gray has a sister starting as a 7th grader.So things look bright for the girls.!If it happens,should be come great games.Didn't realize that Gibson Co had lost so many to South Gibson though.

Edited by mrbigster

Gibson Co. is sitting at 1-1 right now through hall of fame games. We lost to Henry Co. by 2 and beat Lexington by around 15. Gibson Co. plays Trenton Peabody Tuesday night.

I may come check that game out.Going to watch Central-Union City tonight.We dodn't play either of those nights and both places are only about 20 to 25 minutes from my house.