Alcoa Zoning Restrictions

matt_8777

Govolsknox you want me to answer your question but you won't answer mine. Which is does Memphis and Nashville cities have a bigger tallent pool to draw from? Compared to someone like ALCOA.

Here's my answers

1&2. Personally I believe the privates have an advantage with their academics and facilities (money). Overall I believe these two are big advantages to the privates. CAK is a bad example compared to MBA, McCallie, and BA. In the big cities of Tennessee the privates will get more than their fair share of tallent. Just look at the Privates that have dominated. ALL IN THE BIG CITIES!!!

3. I do NOT support a multiplier for open zoned schools. It wouldn't be fair to some of the schools system especially in the rural areas. Of course you don't look at that because ALCOA is in your way. As for the multiplier for privates. Yes I do support a multiplier for D1 privates but I think it should be on how many male student you have. Right now I believe its a little to high at the 1.8. That just my opinion of course.

Govolsknox why don't you write a letter to the TSSAA? Alcoa will play where ever they tell us too. We don't whine or complain we just play.

PS. Did you not know all of the rules for the privates before sending your kid (kids) there? The reason I ask is because you complain about it an awful lot. Just saying......

DSM, I'll give you an honest answer in my posts even though a lot of these posts are opinion and we may disagree. I apologize, I did forget to answer your questions. Yes, I do believe there would likely be a larger talent pool to select from in Memphis or Nashville, but to know for sure you would have to determine population vs. school options, and frankly I'm not sure where that would work out. Blount county would have a smaller population, but there are only 2 football schools, one of which (according to Coach T info at least) has had to cut back on # of OOZ students they accept.

I also agree that generally speaking, DI privates would have an advantage over publics (in general) in academics and facilities. That is on one side of the comparison ledger. On the other, I submit is: 1. no tax money for privates 2. no school district to draw from 3. Much higher tuition. (I will also point out that your private examples of academics and facilities were all DII not DI so they don't apply to this discussion.)And there is no debate that BOTH accept tuition students.

You are correct, Alcoa doesn't whine or complain, they just play. But why would they complain? Let's be honest, you have a great school and a great program with or without the OOZ issue. You also have the best of both worlds. If you wanted to complain, what would you complain about? I haven't written a letter to the TSSAA about this subject. I have stated my opinion on this message board just like you and others. If they happen to read the boards, they can read my opinion, along with yours and others. Isn't stating opinions what these boards are for? Remember, no one is required to read a topic if they don't want to.

Yes, I was fully aware of the TSSAA policies when I started sending my kids to CAK. But surprise, I don't have or never will have a kid on the football team.

By the way, I admire that your position against OOZ having a multiplier is because it wouldn't be fair to the rural schoolscdwink.gif. I still don't quite get why you think it's equitable for DI privates to have a multiplier but not a tuition accepting open zone school. I could understand if you said OOZ schools should have a lower multiplier than a private, but you don't think any multiplier is in order. And for the record, you won't hear me whining or complaining about CAK having a multiplier. Just pointing out that the TSSAA is ignoring a somewhat similar advantage, but you won't recognize that because it doesn't suit your agenda. It's almost humorous that you can clearly see the advantage of a private school (which I agree with you on) but can't see at all that open zoning is an advantage as well. I can tell you that if CAK could only accept students from the Cedar Bluff area, they would not be as good, therefore a multiplier. But I guess your position is that if Alcoa could only accept Alcoa students it would make absolutely no difference and everyone should just shut up and like it. Am I close?

I've enjoyed the discussion. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Edited by Govolsknox
  • Upvote 1

OK, give Alcoa the multiplier and move them into 4A........then wait a couple of years an CAK moves up to 4A............then again Alcoa's 95 players line up across for CAK's 55 players. :bored:

One day, just maybe someone will REALLY figure out what makes Alcoa tick......... :ph34r: .

You all just keep looking at OOZ..............and the F5 will keep winning.

BC my friend, you just don't get it. If my ONLY issue was what's best for CAK, my focus would be suggesting Alcoa stay in 3A and CAK voluntarily move up to 4A. OR, Lobbying the TSSAA to eliminate the multiplier for DI privates, which was a topic with the TSSAA a couple of years ago. But you haven't heard me lobbying for either one. In fact, I state repeatedly that a multiplier (of some amount) is appropriate for DI privates. Could it be.........that while I'd like nothing more than CAK to win a championship, that for some of us, there's more to what forms our opinion that just OUR school's benefit. If CAK was the only issue to me, my focus would be eliminating the multiplier or CAK playing up. Guess what, my opinion about what is right for the TSSAA to do isn't going to change regardless of what CAK does or doesn't do. I may not be excited about it if CAK was 4A and Alcoa was moved up, but I would still believe that a multiplier for OZ schools was equitable.

I've had my say, and if I haven't persuaded you to look at the issue, it isn't going to happen.

Thanks to everyone for the spirited discussion. :thumb:

Edited by Govolsknox

BC my friend, you just don't get it. If my ONLY issue was what's best for CAK, my focus would be suggesting Alcoa stay in 3A and CAK voluntarily move up to 4A. OR, Lobbying the TSSAA to eliminate the multiplier for DI privates, which was a topic with the TSSAA a couple of years ago. But you haven't heard me lobbying for either one. In fact, I state repeatedly that a multiplier (of some amount) is appropriate for DI privates. Could it be.........that while I'd like nothing more than CAK to win a championship, that for some of us, there's more to what forms our opinion that just OUR school's benefit. If CAK was the only issue to me, my focus would be eliminating the multiplier or CAK playing up. Guess what, my opinion about what is right for the TSSAA to do isn't going to change regardless of what CAK does or doesn't do. I may not be excited about it if CAK was 4A and Alcoa was moved up, but I would still believe that a multiplier for OZ schools was equitable.

I've had my say, and if I haven't persuaded you to look at the issue, it isn't going to happen.

Thanks to everyone for the spirited discussion. :thumb:

Oh no, THANK YOU GVK for continuing to beat a very dead horse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IU1bzZheWk

Just my two cents here. I am an Alcoa graduate and was an out of zone student athlete who lived in Townsend. I went to Alcoa my entire life. Two of the reasons I went to Alcoa have already been brought up: better academics and the small school atmosphere. However, one of the reasons my parents sent me to Alcoa was because of the after school daycare program at the elementary school. Both of my parents were working professionals who did not get off work until 5 or so and could not pick me up right after school. Alcoa offered a great after school program that was also available in the summer from 8-5. I do not know if this after school program still exists, but at the time it was the only one in the county. Point is, Alcoa, and Maryville too, offer more as a school system then any other places in the state whether it is sports, academics, or whatever. If you had the choice as a parent, and had the means to do it, you would be depriving your child of a better education by not sending them to Alcoa or Maryville.

Well said. I too was an OOZ kid (although I never paid tuition :roflolk: ) but I would rather get a better education, have better teachers (that are more available) and also play sports for a better program then go to a school thats closer to my house. For 2 years I drove past William Blount Dr to go to Alcoa and my final 2 years I drove past Heritage High to get to Alcoa. Which brings up another good point. Just because you're an OOZ player.....doesn't mean you're some D1 5 star prospect. However I was the best OOZ Extra Point lineman Alcoa has ever seen!!! :roflol:

Have you seen Brentwood Academy play?

No

But I do know that based on games played so far. The teams Brentwood has played have a combine record of 8-16, not a very tough schedule IMO. While the teams that Alcoa has played has a combined record of 15-8, with 4-0 Kingston, 5-0 CAK, 4-0 Howard, still left to play. Not to mention that they beat Maryville, who is a top 5 pick to be playing for a state championship in 6-A this year.

No

But I do know that based on games played so far. The teams Brentwood has played have a combine record of 8-16, not a very tough schedule IMO. While the teams that Alcoa has played has a combined record of 15-8, with 4-0 Kingston, 5-0 CAK, 4-0 Howard, still left to play. Not to mention that they beat Maryville, who is a top 5 pick to be playing for a state championship in 6-A this year.

smiley-signs013.gif

It seems to me that TSSAA has really made the whole thing one big mess. I have lived here for 18 years but I was not born here, therefore, I am not trying to say that anything needs changing. It just seems to me that ALL would benifit if privates were split into 3 classifications; "A", "AA", and "AAA", and they play in their own division with no option of playing in the same regions as publics. Take publics and split into however many classifications are needed according to school size from "A" to 6A. Every kid goes to the school that he is zoned to go to. If you don't like the school that your kid is zoned to go to, then move. Alcoa and Maryville are still going to win, no doubt about that, but a lot of the wins are going start being a lot more competitive for them instead of one or two close games a year and every other game being a blowout. If you coach or have a kid playing, no one has to tell you that competition is what makes your kids better. I know this is a very simplistic system, but I am originally from Mississippi and this is the system in place there and I am pretty sure that the same type system is in place in Alabama and Georgia as I have cousins that are coaches and sports trainers at high schools in those states. Look at high school football in these states. These views are strictly an opinion and not one based on the success or non-success of any particular team. In the end, it is what it is, and TSSAA is more than likely not going to change it.

For the last several years I have heard numerous people whine and gripe about Alcoa and Maryville and the success that they have had. Those kids have reaped what they have sown, nobody gave them anything. Sure, it helps to have athletes but there has been a ton of work that has went into what these schools have accomplished. A lot of these players have literally sacrificed a lot, if not all of their summers to be at the gym working out at 6 a.m. and running when some of their buddies are at the pool or the lake. This probably sounds like I am a fan of one of these schools and the fact is that my kids will not attend either of these schools, but you have to give credit where credit is due. These schools would have won regardless or what system TSSAA has in place because their players bought in and were willing to sacrifice and do what was necessary to accomplish their goals.

I really don't understand the concept of trying to eliminate your competition through letters and litigation . Everyone I know at Maryville and Alcoa would gladly play anyone , and I mean anyone regardless of size , scholarships or whatever . Don't blame our fans if we're not travelling to Nashville and Memphis every week to play a game .... of course we're not the ones having to balance the books are we ? The Alcoa fans I know say they would love to play in 6A , and I'm thrilled to be playing in 6A now as a Maryville fan . I really wish they would come up with a compromise to let DII play with the rest of us , because I get tired of the DII guys always feeling like they have to put the Public schools down since they have been placed in their little corner of Tennessee Football . Just take a look at the DII board and you will realize why we always have visits from them , geez I would be bored to death too if there was a post here every 12 hours !! lol :roflol:

GoVols , and others , would you guys really be happy to win your State Championship knowing you had to water down the competition even more than it already is ? I mean instead of 6A , why not have 60A ..... I mean in this politically correct world that we live in , I guess a lot of people would be happy that they gave out State Championship trophies to ALL who have participated !! :roflol:

well here is my smilie2cents-1.gif I played back in the day (almost too long to remember now) but TN had A, AA, and AAA. No DI or DII. Personally I think we have too many divisions today. How many other sports in Tenn. have that many state champions?

As for the Zoning Restrictions...Maybe more schools should try it, who knows maybe some of the struggling schools would have to actually step up their game. NinjaHiding101.gif competition is a good thing, especially when it makes everyone around you better!

well here is my smilie2cents-1.gif I played back in the day (almost too long to remember now) but TN had A, AA, and AAA. No DI or DII. Personally I think we have too many divisions today. How many other sports in Tenn. have that many state champions?

As for the Zoning Restrictions...Maybe more schools should try it, who knows maybe some of the struggling schools would have to actually step up their game. NinjaHiding101.gif competition is a good thing, especially when it makes everyone around you better!

All I got to say is be carful about the Zoning thing did you here about Cleveland this year?