Maryville @ Oak Ridge

tnchad1980

Who wins?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Cats or Rebels?

• Oak Ridge
    • Maryville

No crying here..just stating what most of the fans sitting around me in the Maryville section thought was obvious. I talked with several Maryville players after the game who confirmed what we saw.

Yes, I'm a Maryville fan - my son is a Senior lineman and I played for Maryville many moons ago. I suspect that the Oak Ridge coach teaches the followup hits to try to intimidate the opponent, which probably works with some teams. It motivated Maryville, however, to play harder.

I never would have never guessed that you were taking sides... I thought you were just someone who happened to watch the game..

We can agree to disagree about our "Dirty D"

Interesting.. Maryville did win... They were much better than we were.. Again- will you address the WB thing for us? . I just want to make sure you are calling it both ways.

Edited by bladerunner

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i suspect if it was that big of an issue, GQ would have taken it up with the refs at the half, but i am pretty sure he didnt... cause he was behind me the whole time at halftime where the mville players come up... and btw, if there is no whistle that has been blown, the guy is fair game... which im sure you know, but never did i hear a whistle and an OR player coming in and late hitting or spearing somebody... till that whistle is blown you can decapitate the guy if you wish.

Good point Sweet..

Earl, What did GQ say about it? I know you talked to the players and all.

yeah, what GQ thought is what matters... not what some maryville fans, or the players thought... GQ seems to be an honest guy.. seriously would like to know

Sorry, not taking the bait. I am simply stating MY opinion and observations. Coach Quarles can speak for himself if he likes. He doesn't have the luxury of reflection that we do - he's trying to get ready for Bearden on Thursday night!

Sorry, not taking the bait. I am simply stating MY opinion and observations. Coach Quarles can speak for himself if he likes. He doesn't have the luxury of reflection that we do - he's trying to get ready for Bearden on Thursday night!

lol fair enough earl... even if he thought they were bad hits, he wouldnt be open about it... that would just look bad on him... it would sound like he was making excuses as to why his offense didnt really roll against oak ridge... i am sure horne had something to do with that, probably a lot.. have to admit i was surprised to see maryville had only 32 caries for 92 yards, but gotta credit oak ridges defense, even if there dirty earl :P

lol fair enough earl... even if he thought they were bad hits, he wouldnt be open about it... that would just look bad on him... it would sound like he was making excuses as to why his offense didnt really roll against oak ridge... i am sure horne had something to do with that, probably a lot.. have to admit i was surprised to see maryville had only 32 caries for 92 yards, but gotta credit oak ridges defense, even if there dirty earl :P

If you'll check, I never used the word 'dirty'. Oak Ridge's defense was stacked to stop the run, so as always, we take what we're given - as the passing statistics show....

No you can't hit until the whistle blows anymore. When the ball carrier is down or goes out of bounds, play is supposed to stop. Anyway, good luck the rest of the season.

If you'll check, I never used the word 'dirty'. Oak Ridge's defense was stacked to stop the run, so as always, we take what we're given - as the passing statistics show....

No you can't hit until the whistle blows anymore. When the ball carrier is down or goes out of bounds, play is supposed to stop. Anyway, good luck the rest of the season.

earl, yalls passing statistics werent off the charts by any means, check the saturday news sentinel for that... barely over 100 yds... i know yall are better, not being a prick.. wasnt one of maryvilles better games.. i saw what they can do at the alcoa game when hitting on all cylinders... and i know you didnt say were were dirty, i was poking at you, hence the smiley face.

First time to Oak Ridge. After all these years of watching HS football it's hard to believe that I have never been to a Oak Ridge game and their stadium. Great setting and it's nice to visit schools that actually have enough seating. Good game and good challenge for Maryville. Several Maryville kids got some quality time but most of the first saw a full game, something they needed. Thought OR was one of the dirtiest teams I have saw in a while....no surprise though since that is a coach blade signature. That was confirmed by several. Good luck to the ridgers.

I wondered when MLREB would show up again, and diplay his ability to take a cheap shot at Oak Ridge, and he did.

MLREB, you are nothing short of a COWARD, you hide behind a screen name, and insult any and all without any credit. And don't respond with the ol "everybody knows who I am" because not everybody does, thus your post and cowardly cheap shots!!

Man-up Coward, when you make a post of this nature, then sign your name to it!! :thumb:

Edited by catback

It's probably time to move on to this week's game. This thread has been a surprise to me. I expected it to be a lot of trash talk between Bladerunner and Maryville fans. Honestly, this thread has shown a lot of sportmanship and respect between two teams that obviously respect each other. I hate that when we ran out of game discussions that we have resorted to claiming cheap shots and officiating. It was a hard played game between two good teams and hopefully will build to be a great rivalry in the coming years.

Thanks Ridgers for a great game. Good luck with the rest of your season.

Go Rebels!

I wondered when MLREB would show up again, and diplay his ability to take a cheap shot at Oak Ridge, and he did.

MLREB, you are nothing short of a COWARD, you hide behind a screen name, and insult any and all without any credit. And don't respond with the ol "everybody knows who I am" because not everybody does, thus your post and cowardly cheap shots!!

Man-up Coward, when you make a post of this nature, then sign your name to it!! :thumb:

I would like to say that MLREB,EarlVol, MHS82, Starsnbars,Pepvol,Red Rebels,Greyrider,RebelRon, Solomon,MHS,Rebel9 and any one else I have missed--- are not your typical Maryville fans that I run into. Most are very proud gracious, modest people..

Most are like GQ who is a class act... As a matter of fact I think he sets that standard for sure.. You will be hard pressed to find anyone to say otherwise about him.. His staff could be the best in the state. I think they are the best...

I can tell you this...GQ does not make excuses. I mean check out how many times the flag was thrown on OR...As Bounder said we deserved every single one... I would think the OR fans would be complaining about the refs in a game that we lost by that much.. Not the dominating team.. JMO

Edited by bladerunner

Here I am Catback... Sorry but I have a life beyond a football board so I don't hang out as you obviously do. Cheap shot....not at all. Plenty of cheap shots...late hits...and dirty play to go around from OR. I saw two spears...the one on Horne when he was injured and another in the third period, several late hits in which only one was flagged. Dirty....absolutely! Blade signature....absolutely. Watched Blade coached teams for several years. Call it playing hard or what ever but it is dirty. Were they trying to injure another player?....doubt it but it is dirty football.

As for the game....OR kids played hard on defense and brought some big hits. That's part of football and good for Maryville to experience. They need to be hit from time to time.