Parents should stay out of the game

bigAsports

Great article. I have a brother in New Jersey who retired last year after many years of coaching girls basketball. It was for the exact reasons listed in this piece. Also, he has children that are students at the high school where he coached. They were not players, but they had to hear people talking in terrible ways about there DAD. I wonder how they are effected by all this. It is a shame that people only care about there own children. Coaches have to consider what is best for the whole team.

Great article. I have a brother in New Jersey who retired last year after many years of coaching girls basketball. It was for the exact reasons listed in this piece. Also, he has children that are students at the high school where he coached. They were not players, but they had to hear people talking in terrible ways about there DAD. I wonder how they are effected by all this. It is a shame that people only care about there own children. Coaches have to consider what is best for the whole team.

I agree a good read and very good presentation of this one aspect of the coaches relationship with parents and fans. For one to take this as the be all end all of discussions of that relationship the writer assumes that ALL coaches are the picture of perfection. I can assure you that in Tennessee this is not the case. As a former coach and parent of players I have seen my share of over the top parents as well as coaches that have lost sight of the responsibility of the profession they chose to enter.

I won't waste time listing example after example of such coaches, trust me for each of your "out of control" parent stories I can give you a "lost coach" story.

You are right though when it comes down to the administration being responsible for the PROGRAM. Whether it be for a defiant parent or an out of touch coach the admin must stay the course ..that is the development of student athletes.

As for the "Coaches Rules" this is only true because the coach has the authority. Just like you stated these athletea will soon report to a Boss. When you have a boss you don't mesh with are you stuck with that boss for 4 years?....NO! You continue to develop youself as you look for a better environment. I personally think that in TN the TSSAA should allow a student athlete one school change in their four years of high school without any penalty. How could a coach disagree...they can be rid of "that" parent and the student athlete can find the environment they feel best for thier success. WIN - WIN??

Good article. Times have certainly changed. Back in my day, the coach’s word was the law. Coaches were respected and not questioned for anything pertaining to playing time or strategy. Not sure why our society has allowed for overzealous parents to get so involved in coaching decisions. Unfortunately we see it every day, starting from youth sports all the way through high school.

It would be nice to see parents get fired up about their children’s education or moral behavior as much as they do about sports.

Oh, the good old days, where have they gone?

Eda

• Upvote 1

I agree a good read and very good presentation of this one aspect of the coaches relationship with parents and fans. For one to take this as the be all end all of discussions of that relationship the writer assumes that ALL coaches are the picture of perfection. I can assure you that in Tennessee this is not the case. As a former coach and parent of players I have seen my share of over the top parents as well as coaches that have lost sight of the responsibility of the profession they chose to enter.

I won't waste time listing example after example of such coaches, trust me for each of your "out of control" parent stories I can give you a "lost coach" story.

You are right though when it comes down to the administration being responsible for the PROGRAM. Whether it be for a defiant parent or an out of touch coach the admin must stay the course ..that is the development of student athletes.

As for the "Coaches Rules" this is only true because the coach has the authority. Just like you stated these athletes will soon report to a Boss. When you have a boss you don't mesh with are you stuck with that boss for 4 years?....NO! You continue to develop youself as you look for a better environment. I personally think that in TN the TSSAA should allow a student athlete one school change in their four years of high school without any penalty. How could a coach disagree...they can be rid of "that" parent and the student athlete can find the environment they feel best for their success. WIN - WIN??

GREAT rebuttal! and a very good 'outta-tha-box' idea regarding transfers. With this attitude, you should be runnin' the T$$AA...or, at the very least, STILL be coachin'.

On second thought, a person with your common sense probably wouldn't mesh too well with (or suck-up to) lazy, apathetic and incompetent administrators that continue to allow programs to stagnate and even digress.

As for the "Coaches Rules" this is only true because the coach has the authority. Just like you stated these athletea will soon report to a Boss. When you have a boss you don't mesh with are you stuck with that boss for 4 years?....NO! You continue to develop youself as you look for a better environment. I personally think that in TN the TSSAA should allow a student athlete one school change in their four years of high school without any penalty. How could a coach disagree...they can be rid of "that" parent and the student athlete can find the environment they feel best for thier success. WIN - WIN??

Over the top parents and kids usually quit or transfer and the disruption is gone without much consequence. Bad coaches can affect a kid for life.

Over the top parents and kids usually quit or transfer and the disruption is gone without much consequence. Bad coaches can affect a kid for life.

[/quoteWhich one would have the greatest negative effect? Bad, unrealistic parent. Bad, unrealistic coach. If anyone answers coach, you are in trouble. Every parent plays a greater role in the child's development than the coach. Whether it be good or bad. Too many parents don't want to be parents. They want to be nothing or they want to be buddy's. Neither are good choices.

I believe that many coaches understand the unique position they are in that provides them with the opportunity to influence the player. Just as many parents understand what their role should be when their children participate in school athletic activities.

During the course of a season (pick one -- football, basketball, baseball) the coach may actually spend more time with the student-athlete than the parents. Bad parents can certainly impact a child but there isn't much that can be done about that unless things get really out of hand.

Bad coaches can inflict significant damage at a crucial time in a child's life. Something can be done about that before it gets out of hand. I'm not certain school administrators pay enough attention to this area.