Banning PRAYER at a football game!

Bleedingblue

If we truly wanted prayer back in school or at sporting events then it is time to take a stand for it. Because of a few we have been told we can't. It is time to take a stand and let the government know how you feel. I believe prayer in schools was stopped by one woman. We have to stop letting a few rule the majority. It is just like the old saying goes, "The squeaking wheel gets the oil!" We have to start complaining about things not going as we want them to. We have to let people know that there are more of us that want prayer than those that don't. Until then those that complain the loudest will get what they want.

This is exactly what I was talking about by saying that people are fighting this in Hamilton County. Several of the students are protesting it and many organizations have been called to come help fight it. If possible I will be there supporting them. I talk to some of our coaches and they assured us that when we play Soddy next week, we will be praying!

They cannot ban prayer. They just want to silence it. No one will ever stop me from praying. The most effective prayers are not the ones that are heard. The most effective prayers are the ones prayed in your heart when you are alone. Many feel the need to impress when others hear there prayer. Prayer is communication between oneself and his Heavenly Father. The prayer itself isn't what offends. It's the name that is prayed in. A belief in God really bothers noone. It's in Jesus name that offends. If what I believe in were not true then why would there be so much hate and bitterness towards it? The world can try to silence us, but we need to let our actions speak louder than words. If you don't want to pray then don't, your choice. If you want to pray then pray. God know the true intentions of mans heart anyway. If I die and am wrong about what I believe then what have I lost? If you choose not to believe and die and realize you are wrong what have you lost? ETERNITY is a long time. Football is a game, this is real.

Your right, they cannot ban prayer but they are basically trying to take away our voice. Any prayer is important to God but ,even more important, prayer that is spoken aloud can reach the unsaved. It can take one(and one is very very important to the Lord) unsaved person and reach into their heart and mind and change their whole life. I agree that private prayer between a person and God is very important but a voiced prayer is also important for us Christians to reach out to other people.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=5218687&h1=Students+speak+out+against+prayer+ban+at+football+games&vt1=v&at1=undefined&d1=189167&LaunchPageAdTag=News&undefined&activePane=info&rnd=25399774

This is a link from Channel 3 that covers some Soddy kids that are standing up for the right to pray before games. This has been a topic for some time. I am proud to say that RC always prays after games as a team; there is also a student-led prayer over the loudspeaker before every home game. I would think that RC will keep this going, especially since our Director of Schools is also a Southern Baptist preacher :thumb:

Your right, they cannot ban prayer but they are basically trying to take away our voice. Any prayer is important to God but ,even more important, prayer that is spoken aloud can reach the unsaved. It can take one(and one is very very important to the Lord) unsaved person and reach into their heart and mind and change their whole life. I agree that private prayer between a person and God is very important but a voiced prayer is also important for us Christians to reach out to other people.

agreed. i realized if i didn't stop it would be a sermon. basically i just wanted to say the most important thing is the state of the heart when prayin aloud. this wasn't a place to go into a long speel on my part. i should have just said agreed. my only issue with some of the loud prayers is the action of the prayer will speak louder than what they just said. once you make known you are a christian you better make sure your life backs that up, because you just put the microscope on yourself. that person that is in the balance will read more in your life than in your words. sorry if i give the wrong impression.

They cannot ban prayer. They just want to silence it. No one will ever stop me from praying. The most effective prayers are not the ones that are heard. The most effective prayers are the ones prayed in your heart when you are alone. Many feel the need to impress when others hear there prayer. Prayer is communication between oneself and his Heavenly Father. The prayer itself isn't what offends. It's the name that is prayed in. A belief in God really bothers noone. It's in Jesus name that offends. If what I believe in were not true then why would there be so much hate and bitterness towards it? The world can try to silence us, but we need to let our actions speak louder than words. If you don't want to pray then don't, your choice. If you want to pray then pray. God know the true intentions of mans heart anyway. If I die and am wrong about what I believe then what have I lost? If you choose not to believe and die and realize you are wrong what have you lost? ETERNITY is a long time. Football is a game, this is real.

very very insightful post.. exactly like you said,,, if it were not true (Christ being the one and only true God) both human AND God... then why would people be so against it? the cosmos (world) will always be against REAL TRUTH.. Christ states this in the bible numerous times... believe it or not,satan is behind all worldly activities that do not involve God.. this world is his backyard.. and if you dont believe he isnt behind this.. you are sadly mistaken..

agreed. i realized if i didn't stop it would be a sermon. basically i just wanted to say the most important thing is the state of the heart when prayin aloud. this wasn't a place to go into a long speel on my part. i should have just said agreed. my only issue with some of the loud prayers is the action of the prayer will speak louder than what they just said. once you make known you are a christian you better make sure your life backs that up, because you just put the microscope on yourself. that person that is in the balance will read more in your life than in your words. sorry if i give the wrong impression.

No wrong impression. You made a very valid point. It is very important for people to realize that alone time with God is essential to your relationship with him. I was just saying that they are taking away one of our ways of reaching people. We are still going to reach out to them but just imagine how many more people would hear about him if it were over a loud speaker. Any opinion that is for God is a good one to me. :)

No wrong impression. You made a very valid point. It is very important for people to realize that alone time with God is essential to your relationship with him. I was just saying that they are taking away one of our ways of reaching people. We are still going to reach out to them but just imagine how many more people would hear about him if it were over a loud speaker. Any opinion that is for God is a good one to me. :)

I'm just thankful God loves and uses a sinner such as I. I am for the time being an imperfect being. I am nothing more than a sinner saved by grace. I still am not perfect and will never reach that goal while here. However I work with kids on a weekly basis and understand their plight. It's a difficult task to reach those who feel as if they can live forever. I want to make a life changing difference not just be a religious zealot. I do not wish to be the publican that prayed aloud thankful he was not as the others. I'm afraid this world has enough religion and not enough people have a real relationship with Christ. That's what I want to give. Thanks for understanding. I've spoken enough. Let's agree together. WEVE GOT THE POWER!!! IN THE NAME OF JESUS!!!

this is not only a reflection on state officials, but sadly on this nation as a whole.. this nation has backed away from what has made it a great nation and a light to all other nations around the world... sad to see the backbone of this country shattered..

It is a reflection of many things..a nation that comprises 6-7% of the world's population but has 67% of the world's lawyers..A statement made by Thomas Jefferson (separation of church and state) that is taken out of context and misapplied. It is not in the constitution! He wrote it in a letter and called for a wall of separation between church and state to keep government out of religion but he goes on to say it is a one way wall because "God forbid that we should ever take religion out of the government!" It's sad that we don't ever hear that part of the statement! People against public prayer and religious observances are always quick to point out the "establishment clause" of the 1st amendment that says the government shall establish no religion...BUT they never quote the "free exercise clause" in the same amendment that states the government shall pass no law prohibiting the free exercise of religion. Let's pray for this country and let's pray at football games!

Keep praying and maybe we can all get prayer back at the games. I really have to question anyone who has a problem with a prayer for the protection of their children before a very violent sport like football.

I am calling discrimination. My right ( and the rights of I would guess about 99% of the other fans in our area ) to freedom of religion is being oppressed by a handful of people who feel differently. Without covering all the details since it has been fought time and time again, America was "conceived" on the very principles this small handful chooses to discount.

Some thoughts for this small handful....

1. Taking a "spoken" prayer away does not stop prayer from occuring as I always pray for the safety of everyone prior to the game.

2. Removing the 10 commandments from public places does not mean that these God given laws "go away" and you no longer have to play by this set of rules. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

3. There are no Atheists in heaven or in hades. ( Automatic change made by CoachT ) Think about that for a moment..... every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess that Jesus is Lord. Even Satan KNOWS what Christ did for YOU and he knows the power of God.

Edited by DarkHorse

It is a reflection of many things..a nation that comprises 6-7% of the world's population but has 67% of the world's lawyers..A statement made by Thomas Jefferson (separation of church and state) that is taken out of context and misapplied. It is not in the constitution! He wrote it in a letter and called for a wall of separation between church and state to keep government out of religion but he goes on to say it is a one way wall because "God forbid that we should ever take religion out of the government!" It's sad that we don't ever hear that part of the statement! People against public prayer and religious observances are always quick to point out the "establishment clause" of the 1st amendment that says the government shall establish no religion...BUT they never quote the "free exercise clause" in the same amendment that states the government shall pass no law prohibiting the free exercise of religion. Let's pray for this country and let's pray at football games!

Most people do not even know what's in the 1st amendment. It states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances"

You are absolutely correct. The free exercise clause is almost always forgotten. I challenge those people to go to the Jefferson Memorial in Washington and read some of the quotes from Jefferson about God and Prayer and Morality. They'd probably demand these be sandblasted off the walls.

The Supreme Court is not the be all and end all for what is right in this country. If it were up to the Supreme Court we'd still have slavery in this country - See Dred Scot case. The power rests with the people. We the people have a right to pray. I challenge everyone across Tennessee tonight to stand up and pray at every football game in the state.

Edited by sdtrojan
  • Upvote 1

I do not understand how people can try to get prayer banned and call it freedom of speech. It is very frustrating to see our society taking steps backwards. We allow a few people whom are mad at the world and their own life to strike out and hold some of our most precious freedoms and customs hostage. If some one does not agree with prayer at an event, stay home!! There are things that happen in my everyday life that I do not like and I do not agree with, but I deal with them like a man should and try to make things better through understanding rather than ridicule and persecution. People against prayer do not use logic, and will do anything they can to destroy the fabric of our society. They should not be persecuted, for that is what they would do to us, they should be ignored and their voice allowed to fade. Attention should not be given to them. GOD BLESS AMERICA AND THE GAMES WE LOVE