Banning PRAYER at a football game!

Bleedingblue

Robertson Cty hasn't had prayer at games in a very loooooooooooong time as well

sure about that? - Do not know Robertson City personally but would just bet over the looooooong period of time there have been many prayers uttered by Mommas and Daddies for their sons and teammates. Prayers may be banned over the loudspeaker, but they will NEVER ban prayer. Thankfully my school still has pre-game prayers, but I always pray for every player on both teams and for their safety before every game - let them try to take that away.

As an atheist, I will say the vast majority of that statement is utter bull crap. "We allow a few people who are mad at the world and their own life to strike out and hold some of our most precious freedoms and customs hostage." I'm not mad at the world, I'm not mad at my own life. I'm certainly not trying to take any of your precious freedoms or customs hostage. "If someone does not agree with prayer at an event, stay home." That sentence is ignorance and nothing more. So by your standards; Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Atheists, etc. shouldn't be at a football game because prayer is going on. "People against prayer do not use logic, and will do anything they can to destroy the fabric of our society." That statement sounds more like hate mongering than anything else. I use logic every single day of my life, and as someone who has quite a background and knowledge of U.S. history, I can assure you that the fabric of our society is much more complex and ongoing than what you probably think it is. And I, along with most of the people you view as "mad at the world and at their own life" are in no way, shape, or form trying to destroy the fabric of a society that is just as much ours as it is yours. "They should be ignored and their voice allowed to fade." Ignorance and hate again. This is America, everyone deserves a voice and the right to voice their opinion. Noone, I repeat, Noone is taking away your, or anyone else's right to say a prayer. But when we're at a public event with hundreds, and sometimes thousands of people, I think its safe to say that with all those different people of different backgrounds, that we might want to leave the "group lead" prayer at home or at church. If you, or your kid wants to pray before or after a game, that's fine. Noone is stopping you. You can say it out loud if you want to, or you can say it silently if you want to. But I have a younger brother who plays football, and on his team there are two Jewish kids, two muslim kids, and a few who practice no religion at all. I don't believe having an entire football team kneel down and say a prayer will make God any more happy or satisfied than he would be if those prayers are said individually.

Another poster made a good point, how would you feel if some of these people brought towels or cloths to put on the ground facing the east to praise Allah? Would you feel as strongly about they're prayer as you do your own? Probably not. You need to broaden your view and realize that there are people out there who's views differ from your own. And believe it or not, most of those people are harmless. They aren't out to get you, they aren't out to destroy OUR society, they're here enjoy the same rights, freedoms (freedom of religion and freedom FROM religion) and privelges as you are. And that includes being able to attend a football game without having to face such conflicts.

The moment the last breath leaves your body, you will believe. The kids that are causing this uproar are not offended they're wanting their 15 minutes of fame. Kids don't know what they want at this age. I am offended everytime I get around kids now a days with their vulger music and their very reveling clothes, but do I or anyone take it to Court? NO.

What if (for argument sake) it were against the law to pray. Do you think for one minute people could petition to allow prayer and win? NO. If these people are not out to destroy our society, then why are they keeping us from praying for our kids out loud. If they try that here in Sequatchie County, I will get a bull horn and do it myself.

Shout to the Lord, all the earth, let us sing

Power and majesty, praise to the King

Mountains bow down and the seas will roar

At the sound of Your name

I will pray for you and every non believer, however you did reconize God in your last sentence of the first paragraph.

The moment the last breath leaves your body, you will believe. The kids that are causing this uproar are not offended they're wanting their 15 minutes of fame. Kids don't know what they want at this age. I am offended everytime I get around kids now a days with their vulger music and their very reveling clothes, but do I or anyone take it to Court? NO.

What if (for argument sake) it were against the law to pray. Do you think for one minute people could petition to allow prayer and win? NO. If these people are not out to destroy our society, then why are they keeping us from praying for our kids out loud. If they try that here in Sequatchie County, I will get a bull horn and do it myself.

I will pray for you and every non believer, however you did reconize God in your last sentence of the first paragraph.

Please pray on Sunday in the church of your choosing, not on Friday nights at a football game. I promise I won't bring my portable TV into your church pew and start watching NFL games on Sunday - fair enough?

Please pray on Sunday in the church of your choosing, not on Friday nights at a football game. I promise I won't bring my portable TV into your church pew and start watching NFL games on Sunday - fair enough?

You are welcome at my church and your tv as well, what ever gets you there. I promise you will sing a different tune on your death bed.

Prayer should be allowed at public HS athletic events. I can remember it as far back when I was a little boy and playing in the end zone during my brothers HS game that prayer was conducted over the intercom. Everything comes to a stop at that moment and all praise is given to God in the events that are about to take place and to watch out for everyone's safety.

I believe if you dont like it, then dont go to the game, no one forces you--it is still a free world and you decide if you want to go and be a fan of the activity or not. If prayer bothers you, dont listen take ear phone to play during that time, but give all who do choose to listen have that opportunity to listen and also say AMEN to what they choose to believe.

Hey it is an American Game so why not have American Ideas and Beliefs that were created with the game and strive to be part of it.

As an atheist, I will say the vast majority of that statement is utter bull crap. "We allow a few people who are mad at the world and their own life to strike out and hold some of our most precious freedoms and customs hostage." I'm not mad at the world, I'm not mad at my own life. I'm certainly not trying to take any of your precious freedoms or customs hostage. "If someone does not agree with prayer at an event, stay home." That sentence is ignorance and nothing more. So by your standards; Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Atheists, etc. shouldn't be at a football game because prayer is going on. "People against prayer do not use logic, and will do anything they can to destroy the fabric of our society." That statement sounds more like hate mongering than anything else. I use logic every single day of my life, and as someone who has quite a background and knowledge of U.S. history, I can assure you that the fabric of our society is much more complex and ongoing than what you probably think it is. And I, along with most of the people you view as "mad at the world and at their own life" are in no way, shape, or form trying to destroy the fabric of a society that is just as much ours as it is yours. "They should be ignored and their voice allowed to fade." Ignorance and hate again. This is America, everyone deserves a voice and the right to voice their opinion. Noone, I repeat, Noone is taking away your, or anyone else's right to say a prayer. But when we're at a public event with hundreds, and sometimes thousands of people, I think its safe to say that with all those different people of different backgrounds, that we might want to leave the "group lead" prayer at home or at church. If you, or your kid wants to pray before or after a game, that's fine. Noone is stopping you. You can say it out loud if you want to, or you can say it silently if you want to. But I have a younger brother who plays football, and on his team there are two Jewish kids, two muslim kids, and a few who practice no religion at all. I don't believe having an entire football team kneel down and say a prayer will make God any more happy or satisfied than he would be if those prayers are said individually.

Another poster made a good point, how would you feel if some of these people brought towels or cloths to put on the ground facing the east to praise Allah? Would you feel as strongly about they're prayer as you do your own? Probably not. You need to broaden your view and realize that there are people out there who's views differ from your own. And believe it or not, most of those people are harmless. They aren't out to get you, they aren't out to destroy OUR society, they're here enjoy the same rights, freedoms (freedom of religion and freedom FROM religion) and privelges as you are. And that includes being able to attend a football game without having to face such conflicts.

If i went to a place and some one was doing something I did not agree on, I would leave the place or deal with it if I wanted to stay. And dealing with it means not saying or doing anything that causes that group to loose their freedom of religion. That is their right and mine also, if you don't want to pray don't but don't stop someone who does. I will say a prayer for you :D

PC pablum. The dominant culture survived for thousands of years without the ridiculous notion that it had to equally value all other cultures in the predominant effort not to offend some other culture's sensibilities. I well don't expect you to agree as you've clearly been indoctrinated by multiculturist religion. And oh yes, you profess to be an atheist, but you are indeed religious, imbibing as you have from the well of secular universalism. Your gospel is the gospel of inclusiveness. It's a religion of salvation, and what PC stands for is the salvation of the world. It's going to destroy the demons of the past--hatred, bigotry, division--and open up a new age of freedom, equality, unity, world peace, and unbounded horizons. In practice, that means we're only allowed to have three sorts of goals:

1. Private satisfactions that are consistent with other private satisfactions--shopping, sports, hobbies, video games, and other indulgences. You can do whatever you want as long as it's consensual and it doesn't affect other people very much.

2. Careerism. Careerism keeps the system working, because it makes people do their jobs, and it gives them something to do so they don't cause trouble. It also gives energetic and talented people a motive to keep their heads down and always say the right thing. It's very effective that way.

3. Support for the managerial liberal state. So it's OK to obey the law (whatever the leftist elites happen to say that is), pay your taxes, agitate for PC, and vote for the EU. It's not OK to PRAY AT A FOOTBALL GAME.

These memes -- your memes -- control the judiciary and the elites of the western world. It's nice to see the majority of the posters on here don't agree with you. However, what the other posters need to understand is that those who wield power in our nation agree with this guy and until we realize that folks like him are cramming their PC gospel of inclusiveness down our collective throats and decide to actively reject it we're going to continue to lose our historic culture and freedoms at an ever more alarming rate.

This is a great post. :thumb: As Patton once stated "There are no atheist in fox holes" when death approaches, people change their tune. Why be afraid of prayer, sounds like some are. If there is no GOD, there would not be a reason to stop prayer. If HE is not real why are some worried about people praying. Non believers do not want to hear prayer for it may put a doubt in their mind about their non belief. God is powerful if a minute prayer giving thanks for what is given to us and asking him to protect all players, coaches and fans at the game can cause some to be determined to stop prayers.

MAJORITY rules, not MINORITY...at Rhea County High School last Friday night, the stands emptied out (save for a handful of folks who remained seated) when we had prayer on the field before the game. That's MAJORITY.

Praying for the safety of the boys and for the well-being of all in attendance at a game - even nonbelievers - how could you ever say that is wrong?

And like the individual from Seq. Co. commented - if they ever ban prayer at Rhea County before a football game, I will personally find a way to make it happen. As long as I draw a breath and have a kid on the field, there will never be a game that gets underway on Bill Horton field without an organized prayer first. I'll see to that one way or another.

I do not judge anyone who doesn't want to pray before the game. That is your own decision and I respect that. Nobody's making you bow your head and participate. But don't take away my right or the right of the MAJORITY in attendance to pray as a group for the safety of the players and for the event to be a blessed one.