Richardson Leaving Ensworth

Treadstone

Shocking News. Dropped out of EHS this morning is the word on the street. Will be headed to Pearl Cohn. The move was necessary for him to get his GPA up in order to play college ball. Proves that Ensworth isn't all about football, as they let a kid go who could not keep up with the academics but happened to be an Army All-American player. Sad to see him leave DII, but wish him the best of luck.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a sad day when a kid has to drop out any school especially a private college prep school to attend another school. Forget about football, we are talking about life. Then to go enroll at Pearl Cohn or some other school away from his home school in Fairview is shameful. I'm not judging anyone but when he attends college he still has to attend class. I'm sure his family made the best decision for them but to do this now in the middle of the semester, now that is crazy. Good luck to Antonio and his family. Remember education is key,it can not be replaced. At some point in your life you will not be playing a sport. What will you do then.

The article in the Tennessean is wrong in one aspect, is it not? It indicates he is transferring elsewhere so he will be eligible to play one more year. His eligibility is up after this year, is it not, or am I missing something? He played at MP his freshman year, sat out his soph year, played last season at Ensworth, so this is his senior year.

Might show that Ensworth isn't "all about athletics" or whatever...but it also shows that Ensworth's academic support system is deficient. Part of what makes a great school great is its ability to retain its students.

I don't know anything about the young man at all, and not a great deal about EHS, beyond the fact that in my day the boys coming to MBA from Ensworth were very well prepared for the work there. But the problem is not necessarily the fault of admissions or support. It may (and let me stress "may") simply be that the young man didn't put in an academic effort commensurate with his athletic efforts. In my time at MBA, I never saw anyone admitted who couldn't do the work there, but I saw several who chose not to.

I don't know anything about the young man at all, and not a great deal about EHS, beyond the fact that in my day the boys coming to MBA from Ensworth were very well prepared for the work there. But the problem is not necessarily the fault of admissions or support. It may (and let me stress "may") simply be that the young man didn't put in an academic effort commensurate with his athletic efforts. In my time at MBA, I never saw anyone admitted who couldn't do the work there, but I saw several who chose not to.

My one question is this. Why did it take two and a half years of him playing football before the parents pulled him out because his GPA wasn't on track to qualify for college athletics. At some point shouldn't the school have stepped in and limited his ability to play until his grades improved?

My one question is this. Why did it take two and a half years of him playing football before the parents pulled him out because his GPA wasn't on track to qualify for college athletics. At some point shouldn't the school have stepped in and limited his ability to play until his grades improved?

Valid point.

This may or may not have anything to do with the young man not being able to do the academic work at Ensworth. Every class at a prep school has kids that have the academic ability to do the work in the classroom but choose not to do the necessary work to be successful. The truth is that few kids want to have three (3) or four (4) hours of homework most day's after they return home @ around 7:00pm from any athletic activity. It could be that this student/athlete needs to raise his GPA to be eligible to accept an athletic scholarship from an NCAA D1 institution. If he is able to attend another school and gain the necessary GPA to receive a scholarship that his probably his best option at this point in his life. He is not the first and will not be the last student/athlete to leave the prep school environment for a school that has lower academic expectations.

The article in the Tennessean is wrong in one aspect, is it not? It indicates he is transferring elsewhere so he will be eligible to play one more year. His eligibility is up after this year, is it not, or am I missing something? He played at MP his freshman year, sat out his soph year, played last season at Ensworth, so this is his senior year.

Maybe he entered Ensworth as an academic Freshman. It is not that uncommon for a student transferring from a public school to a prep school to "repeat" a year because the academic transition is so great.

Edited by owlbooster