Richardson Leaving Ensworth

Treadstone

If Ensworth costs $17,000.00 a year and he was there for 2 1/2 years that is $42,500.00. Can you imagine how much tutoring he could have gotten in Mt. Pleasant for that.

To all Mt. Pleasant folks that seem so thrilled by this young man's difficult time, what ever happened to those brothers ya'll had back in about 2004? I think one of their names was Rojo? I saw them play, and they were really good football players. Heard they couldn't even qualify for a vo-tech school? Is this true? How many National Merit Scholars have come out of Mt. Pleasant HS? What is college entrance rate of Mt. Pleasant HS students compared with the national average? Please, give me something to show that Mt. Pleasant prepares its young citizens for society?

Edited by Grey Ghost

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does a very highly regarded prep school admit this kid in the first place? Very highly regarded educational institutions typically don't admit students simply so they can help win championships.

Do you know his academic qualifications? More specifically, do you know that he is not qualified to do the work at Ensworth? I know nothing about him or his qualifications, other than the fact that he performed well enough to to stay eligible.

Ensworth may be doing all sorts of unethical things here, but I don't think you can fairly pillory them without some sort of evidence.

Why does a very highly regarded prep school admit this kid in the first place? Very highly regarded educational institutions typically don't admit students simply so they can help win championships.

Please tell me that I am missing the sarcasm. If you are serious, schools do it all the time. High school colleges, you really think Vandy holds it athletes to the same academic entrance requirements, that if a kid can play and meets the ncaa clearing house Vandy and everyone else that can get the student to sign with them will do it. Most highly regarded academic institution have great athletics too and that is exactly why.

No one will know the whole story on this but I hope the it all turns out best for the student.

Please tell me that I am missing the sarcasm. If you are serious, schools do it all the time. High school colleges, you really think Vandy holds it athletes to the same academic entrance requirements, that if a kid can play and meets the ncaa clearing house Vandy and everyone else that can get the student to sign with them will do it. Most highly regarded academic institution have great athletics too and that is exactly why.

No one will know the whole story on this but I hope the it all turns out best for the student.

First, student- athlete in big time college sports is a joke. Why would you want your high school to emulate that? Secondly, the top academic institutions like Vandy, Duke, and Northwestern require their student athletes to meet a higher standard than the NCAA minimum. Take a look at Harvard's football player's bios some time if you want to see how a prestigious educational institution does it. My point is that I am not going to regard a school highly in academics when they admit and pay for sub par students to attend for the purpose of winning football games. Ensworth is certainly not alone and sadly it is what you must do now to compete in Division IIAA.

That rule has been in effect for over 40 years that I can recall. Is the word just reaching y'all?

And when the principal refused to sign, he could have simply stayed at MPHS. He chose to go to EHS knowing he'd have to sit out a year. He seemed to feel that was an accpetable cost.

A lot of posts that relate to issues of this sort carry a hint that the public school administration seems to believe a child belongs to them, since that child's parents reside in their school district. The child actually belongs to his/her parents, who have not only the right, but the responsibility to make decisions based on what will provide the best outcome for the child, regardless of how it affects the Mt. Pleasant HS offensive line.

The young man spent 2 1/4 years in a very highly regarded prep school. He practiced/played 2 3/4 football seasons for one of the best coaching staffs in the state. I hate to seem thick, but I'm having a hard time seeing where the lad's been shafted on this one.

i am only taking the point of view of mt pleasant. i dont blame the richardsons for going to ensworth. i have coached in metro for years and had to deal with losing players to the private schools. idont blame any of them.

To all Mt. Pleasant folks that seem so thrilled by this young man's difficult time, what ever happened to those brothers ya'll had back in about 2004? I think one of their names was Rojo? I saw them play, and they were really good football players. Heard they couldn't even qualify for a vo-tech school? Is this true? How many National Merit Scholars have come out of Mt. Pleasant HS? What is college entrance rate of Mt. Pleasant HS students compared with the national average? Please, give me something to show that Mt. Pleasant prepares its young citizens for society?

The few comments posted on this thread from Mt. Pleasant's usual posters say nothing derogatory about Antonio, Ensworth or all privates. Please dont assume that because someone has a point to make, and throws Mt. Pleasant into that point, that they are from Mt. Pleasant. Most of those comments are from posters who would like to slam Ensworth and choose to use Antonio to do so. I cannot quote Mt. Pleasants college entrance rate, or the college graduation rate, which in my opinion is more important than the entrance rate, but I assume it is probably nowhere near that of Ensworth or any prep school. (That's the point you were trying to make...isn't it?) I also have heard little from Theo or RoRo Fennessee (the brother's of whom you speak) but using them to try and slam Mt. Pleasant puts you in the same category as those posters trying to slam Ensworth.

Do threads ever get locked on CoachT? Serious question. I don't spend much time here and haven't noticed. I'm not sure I see this one doing anybody much good. At the very least, I'd say it's run it's course. JMO.

Haven't seen it much this year, but it has previously. Any thread with a title suggesting a coach be fired is shut down pretty quick, as are threads that get really acrimonious (such as an MBA-Ensworth thread a few years ago, as prep school students and alumni did the verbal equivalent of throwing scones at one another). Given that this one has addressed a child by name, questioning his academic ability and achievement, I'm a little surprised it's still going.

This is a reach in the dark, but is Richardson considering UT? I don't know the ins and outs of how a scholarship would play out, but if he were to receive a partial athletic scholarship there is also a scholarship at UTK called the "Promise Scholarship". The qualifications appear that all the kids have to do is graduate from "certain" Tennessee schools for almost $8000 scholarhip money. Ensworth is NOT on that list but Pearl Cohn is.

Edited by GreenbrierCat2

This is a reach in the dark, but is Richardson considering UT? I don't know the ins and outs of how a scholarship would play out, but if he were to receive a partial athletic scholarship there is also a scholarship at UTK called the "Promise Scholarship". The qualifications appear that all the kids have to do is graduate from "certain" Tennessee schools for almost $8000 scholarhip money. Ensworth is NOT on that list but Pearl Cohn is.

There is no such thing as a partial athletic scholarship in Division 1 football.