Blount County Schools Football

PhoosballPhan

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it is right to attack the programs that are successful? Oh , wait , I forgot that the reason for their success is because they stole your all world players. Sorry.

Nope. They didn't steal them. Those kids and their parents chose to go to Maryville and Alcoa. Maryville and Alcoa have both benefitted tremendously from the county talent that flowed their way. In a county with four high schools kids and parents have a choice. If HHS and WBHS want those kids to stay, then they have to give them a reason. HHS hasn't given anyone a reason to stay since 2000. WBHS has had glimmers of hope the past ten years, but cannot seem to get over the edge.

GQ and Rankin are both fine coaches that run outstanding programs. Other county coaches would do well to set down with them and talk football. But they won't; they are too threatened.

You have no clue...you worked for a while to get a decent reputation on this board and lose i all with one lousy post.

Sorry about your luck. You know 10 "atta boys" = 1 "oh crap"

Now that is two lousy posts.

A decent reputation? I like to stir the pot once in a while to see what happens. And look at what happened. BTW, cheese eating buttmonkeys is funny! :D

So it is right to attack the programs that are successful? Oh , wait , I forgot that the reason for their success is because they stole your all world players. Sorry.

Both our programs have benefited from county kids through the years. I've lived in blount county all my 50+ years. Alcoa and Maryville have been pulling kids out of the county long before there was a HHS or WBHS. Don't get me wrong it, I love it, but our programs success have been in part because of it.

Both our programs have benefited from county kids through the years. I've lived in blount county all my 50+ years. Alcoa and Maryville have been pulling kids out of the county long before there was a HHS or WBHS. Don't get me wrong it, I love it, but our programs success have been in part because of it.

Appreciate your post. The schools are doing nothing wrong, the rules allow for it, so I don't know why some try to argue the point so often. I have been to many Maryville games over the last four years and have been amazed at how many parents that have kids either in the school or on the team and the parents graduated from WB. The county schools are in between a rock and a hard place, they have to give the kids a reason for staying and at the same time it is hard to do that when you are losing your better athletes to Maryville and Alcoa. I don't know when, or if, this will ever change. I can't blame parents or kids for wanting to be a part of a winning program.

Appreciate your post. The schools are doing nothing wrong, the rules allow for it, so I don't know why some try to argue the point so often. I have been to many Maryville games over the last four years and have been amazed at how many parents that have kids either in the school or on the team and the parents graduated from WB. The county schools are in between a rock and a hard place, they have to give the kids a reason for staying and at the same time it is hard to do that when you are losing your better athletes to Maryville and Alcoa. I don't know when, or if, this will ever change. I can't blame parents or kids for wanting to be a part of a winning program.

It is not just the winning, it has much to do the examples they are given and the program, on and off the field.

Edited by GREYRIDER

Jake,

It is amazing - as you put it. Plus, at the high school level, IMO it doesn't take much more than a couple of really good athletes in each class to make a signicant difference in your season. Maybe not a state championship, but it could yield 2-3 more wins per year.

I believe the pendulum will eventually swing. The increasing size of MHS is already turning some families away from sending their kids to such a big school, and this is helping AHS. It is very ironic that many who do not want to build a new HS in the city may actually end up hurting the current football program by allowing the school to become too big.

One would think that parents of above average players would realize it is HS football (an extracurricular activity and the last opportunity for most of the kids to play the game) and eventually understand you don't have to wait until you are a jr/sr to be a starter at most other schools. The studs in each class across the entire county are going to get to play early at all the schools including AHS and MHS. But the above average guy who is competing with the other 8-10 above average guys at MHS and AHS are the ones who are hard to understand. The competition for playing time is tremendous with the increased number of above average athletes. No doubt, this sacrifice and competition contributes to the success of both schools. Oh yeah, excellent coaches don't hurt either!

Maybe GREY is right. Maybe it is also about the examples by the program on and off the field. That is definitely easier to accept (although I don't understand what it means) than just wanting to say I was the 2nd string whatever on my team as we won back-to-back-to-back-to-back state championships. Maybe the county schools should aim for better examples and not just wins. Who knows, that might be an easier goal right now!

On the lighter side, what you mentioned in your post has been going on for many years. A few years ago I ribbed some of my best WB friends. For Halloween I broke out all my MHS stuff - hat, old letter jacket, rebel shirt, and put some MHS stickers on the kids' faces. When folks asked what I was dressed as, my reply was a former WB graduate!

It is not just the winning, it has much to do the examples they are given and the program, on and off the field.

Ok Grey, I will ask you a question. You don't even have to respond here, just answer it to yourself. You came from Knoxville, a graduate of Central High School, I believe. Are you telling me that when you came over to Blount County if AHS would have had a string of state championships 5 or 6 years long and MHS was having years of 5-5, 6-4, 7-3, just good competitive years but no championships, that you would have still decided to send your kids to Maryville and suddenly become the biggest MHS fan in the area? This is just an honest question, I am not trying to gig you.

Jaik eye cain't speek fer Gray...Butt tha garbige servuss wayed hevvy on hiz mind...Eye no fer shore.....And az fer az enny "pindulum swingin'.......Eye ain't seen hit......Butt we need two start a moove inn two Mairvul campain.....Axles maiks hit easier two....Tha knew skool cunfiggure-rayshun will meen moore room at Mairvul Hi....... :thumb:

Jake,

It is amazing - as you put it. Plus, at the high school level, IMO it doesn't take much more than a couple of really good athletes in each class to make a signicant difference in your season. Maybe not a state championship, but it could yield 2-3 more wins per year.

I believe the pendulum will eventually swing. The increasing size of MHS is already turning some families away from sending their kids to such a big school, and this is helping AHS. It is very ironic that many who do not want to build a new HS in the city may actually end up hurting the current football program by allowing the school to become too big.

One would think that parents of above average players would realize it is HS football (an extracurricular activity and the last opportunity for most of the kids to play the game) and eventually understand you don't have to wait until you are a jr/sr to be a starter at most other schools. The studs in each class across the entire county are going to get to play early at all the schools including AHS and MHS. But the above average guy who is competing with the other 8-10 above average guys at MHS and AHS are the ones who are hard to understand. The competition for playing time is tremendous with the increased number of above average athletes. No doubt, this sacrifice and competition contributes to the success of both schools. Oh yeah, excellent coaches don't hurt either!

Maybe GREY is right. Maybe it is also about the examples by the program on and off the field. That is definitely easier to accept (although I don't understand what it means) than just wanting to say I was the 2nd string whatever on my team as we won back-to-back-to-back-to-back state championships. Maybe the county schools should aim for better examples and not just wins. Who knows, that might be an easier goal right now!

On the lighter side, what you mentioned in your post has been going on for many years. A few years ago I ribbed some of my best WB friends. For Halloween I broke out all my MHS stuff - hat, old letter jacket, rebel shirt, and put some MHS stickers on the kids' faces. When folks asked what I was dressed as, my reply was a former WB graduate!

Good post. A friend of mine has a kid (that could have started at either county school)that stood on the sidelines for three years at MHS with no meaningful playing time, he would have started his senior yr. but had an injury. My friend will always say something about the rings his son has and this is just hilarious to me. When this kid is 40 with kids of his own, do you really think that this will be a bragging point for him, the fact that he has three rings and didn't contribute anything to winning them.

I like the Halloween story. I guess if you can't beat 'em just go join 'em being they have great examples and such.

Good post. A friend of mine has a kid (that could have started at either county school)that stood on the sidelines for three years at MHS with no meaningful playing time, he would have started his senior yr. but had an injury. My friend will always say something about the rings his son has and this is just hilarious to me. When this kid is 40 with kids of his own, do you really think that this will be a bragging point for him, the fact that he has three rings and didn't contribute anything to winning them.

I like the Halloween story. I guess if you can't beat 'em just go join 'em being they have great examples and such.

This may get the stupidest post of the day award. You must not have played football. Are you saying the scout teams don't contribute to winning the rings? Without them you don't win the rings. There are alot of kids at AHS and MHS that never step foot on the field, but they are just as important to the "team" as any other player. I guess if you have never been there you would not understand.