6A State Championship: Maryville v. Smyrna

MHSRebels

Well I think this is the game that everyone wanted and we got our wish. Smyrna is a very good football team with lots of weapons and a very fast defense. I haven't seen Maryville play but, I've never seen a bad Maryville team and I wouldn't think this one would be. So for me it sounds like a perfect matchup between the two biggest powers in 6A at the moment. What are Maryville's tendencies? Do they still air it out a lot or is it more of a ground attack? Also who are the key players that we need to worry about most?

Well with Maryville there are no "Tendencies" they adjust well to what the opponent’s defense yields. Everyone, even Maryville has a weakness or two. GQ and company are very good at making adjustments and sound fundamentals allow for it. Solid fundamentals always makes up for bigger and faster at the HS level most of the time. If Maryville protects the skin while in possession of it they will be competitive with anyone, on the ground and in the air. Most of the time Special teams are a plus for Maryville they always do that very well and field position is everything in the big games vs. a quality opponent like Smyrna.

Its not Maryville that brought any of this up. They were doing their thing in lil ol 4A and then all the big bad 5A teams at the time had to do the whole "Well if you played with the big boys you wouldnt be doing this this and this" Well Maryville IS with the big boys and they ARE doing what they have been doing. Its a bed that the "big boys" made and now Maryville are making them lay in it.

well, just so you know some people have always known maryville was a great football team regardless of classification... just cause some uneducated fans of some teams said that doesnt mean everybody thought that, so let it rest for once..

HOW THEY GOT HERE.

Maryville strength of schedule 56.4.....Smyrna strength of schedule 65.5

Maryville strength of success 1.49.......Smyrna strenght of success 1.55

Rank national61...................................Rank national 36

Rank state4..........................................Rank state 2

Playoff apponents Marryville:..........Playoff apponent Smyrna:

7-3 Bearden..................................7-3 Brentwood (dist 11 champs)

6-4 Farragut.................................8-2 Mt Julliet

6-4 Sience Hill...............................9-1 Blackman (#1 RB in the state)

6-4 Oak Ridge..............................9-1 White Haven( dist 16 champs )

If I was a betting man I would bet on Smyrna !

Go dawgs!

Edited by AmericanBullDog

HOW THEY GOT HERE.

Maryville strength of schedule 56.4.....Smyrna strength of schedule 65.5

Maryville strength of success 1.49.......Smyrna strenght of success 1.55

Rank national61...................................Rank national 36

Rank state4..........................................Rank state 2

Playoff apponents Marryville:..........Playoff apponent Smyrna:

7-3 Bearden..................................7-3 Brentwood (dist 11 champs)

6-4 Farragut.................................8-2 Mt Julliet

6-4 Sience Hill...............................9-1 Blackman (#1 RB in the state)

6-4 Oak Ridge..............................9-1 White Haven( dist 16 champs )

If I was a betting man I would bet on Smyrna !

Go dawgs!

I'll take that bet!

31-21...REBELS!

• Upvote 1

you best head down to Zales because thats the only way ya lil moma is gettin any gold this year.Pencil pushers always reveal soft schedules.Tighten boys its gonna be a rough ride ! Ya smooth sailing is over :unsure:

"HIT SQUAD !!!!!!"

no zales here...got to head to the 'ville, hear they've got what i'm looking for!

i know george likes to keep the schedule soft, as it's those "rankings" during the season that count so much....right???? i heard that is all he cares about, so smyrna is safe i'm sure.