3A Championship Alcoa v. Goodpasture

Some people just don't belong...-Judge Smails  

125 members have voted

1. 1. The winner is....

• Champions (Alcoa)
    • Country Club (Goodpasture)
    • Just don't care....OR Hope Alcoa loses, but don't really like Goodpasture either.

Ya'll looked below average in 03 when you got drummed 55-7 by lipscomb . lol.

Our record that year was 10-4. We got beat by William Blount and Oliver Springs that year. So, I would way we were below average in 03. Now, about '04... lol.

Mr. Twister: I didn't think those smaller schools were around in 77. I thought they had already consolidated into Heritage.

Edited by tornadogold

Our record that year was 10-4. We got beat by William Blount and Oliver Springs that year. So, I would way we were below average in 03. Now, about '04... lol.

Mr. Twister: I didn't think those smaller schools were around in 07. I thought they had already consolidated into Heritage.

Heritage opened in the fall of 1977 with students from Walland, Townsend, and Everett. Porter was still open until 1979 and actually played Heritage in B-Ball.

In 1979 William Blount opened and they closed Friendsville, Lanier, and Porter. The Porter students then went to Heritage. Heritage students who came from certain areas (Fairview etc...) were given the option of changing to WB in 1979. The ones that moved were immediately eligible at WB (WB beat Heritage in 1979). :thumb:

Here is schedule and results from those seasons.

Some scores are missing and I will get them after the season is over. (thus the overall record is not right)

777879.jpg

Remember also we had a coaching change from 1978 to 79 as Bill Cochran took the VP job at William Blount and Steve Fugate took over in '79.

Ive got some yearbooks from the 60s from a family member. Sometime soon Im planning on going through them and getting the scores and sending them in to that site as well. Hopefully we can complete it as best possible.

My opinion- the 89 team is/was the best to suit up for the Tornadoes (F5) :thumb:

You're probably very right. Even though I did watch the 89 team play on a few occasions, Im honestly too young to even remember the games. About the fondest memory I have of that team was Billy Williams coming to the Elementary school and writing down his phone number on a napkin for everybody to call. Maybe I can dig that out and ebay it LOL :roflol:

I will try and make this short,but since this thread is slow maybe some of the old timers can fill in some of what they remember.Alcoa fans are comparing past champions and i felt like the 77-79 teams have just been forgotten about.We did play goodpasture once during that run.Someone from that team or era can chime in.

There were only 3 divisions then and no private school divisions.Alcoa played single A of course.We had alot more small schools in Blount county.Porter,Friendsville,Lanier,Walland,but I do not rember Alcoa playing Walland that much.The same could be said about Greenback.I have never known Alcoa to ever play them.Maybe someone can answer why that was.Maryville had some real good teams and of course Rule High had some really good teams and players.I hung out with Rodney Dykes class of 79,and I knew alot of the players from that era even though I was 2-3 years behind them,Sam Love,Pat Simonic,Doug Staley,Glen Sankey,Kokey Earls(sp).Terry Whitted,Dutchy Parker,Greg Osborne and so on.Others can chime in on other players cause there were alot during this run of 3 in a row.You can't compare these teams with say the last 15 years or so.Teams then mainly ran the ball.You never ran into the CAK type teams.Everyone ran and sometimes passed and played Defense.Sweetwater was real good with the Lathams and who remembers Joe Cozart.He was awesome.I can remember more than once where coaches from other teams would say that Alcoa was the hardest hitting team that they had ever played. Our mantra was "Shoot those silver bullets!" (Our helments were spray painted silver sans decal)The State Championships were played at one or the others field.It was just so much different then.In the playoffs the scores were always close.You never saw blowouts like you do now.I believe only 2 teams made it from each district,mainly because you had so many more teams then and even though you were close to each other another team might be in a different district.It was alot of fun and alot of true rivalries back then.Some others can speak up and carry this on if you can remember that far back,and if any goodpasture people remember that team from the era please talk about them.I really cannot remember much about them.

I remember that the people at Goodpasture treated us very well-then we turned around and treated them very badly on the field :roflol: It started when Peanut laid out their star WR- man that was a gruesome hit :thumb:

Edited by alcoafan72

I will try and make this short,but since this thread is slow maybe some of the old timers can fill in some of what they remember.Alcoa fans are comparing past champions and i felt like the 77-79 teams have just been forgotten about.We did play goodpasture once during that run.Someone from that team or era can chime in.

There were only 3 divisions then and no private school divisions.Alcoa played single A of course.We had alot more small schools in Blount county.Porter,Friendsville,Lanier,Walland,but I do not rember Alcoa playing Walland that much.The same could be said about Greenback.I have never known Alcoa to ever play them.Maybe someone can answer why that was.Maryville had some real good teams and of course Rule High had some really good teams and players.I hung out with Rodney Dykes class of 79,and I knew alot of the players from that era even though I was 2-3 years behind them,Sam Love,Pat Simonic,Doug Staley,Glen Sankey,Kokey Earls(sp).Terry Whitted,Dutchy Parker,Greg Osborne and so on.Others can chime in on other players cause there were alot during this run of 3 in a row.You can't compare these teams with say the last 15 years or so.Teams then mainly ran the ball.You never ran into the CAK type teams.Everyone ran and sometimes passed and played Defense.Sweetwater was real good with the Lathams and who remembers Joe Cozart.He was awesome.I can remember more than once where coaches from other teams would say that Alcoa was the hardest hitting team that they had ever played.The State Championships were played at one or the others field.It was just so much different then.In the playoffs the scores were always close.You never saw blowouts like you do now.I believe only 2 teams made it from each district,mainly because you had so many more teams then and even though you were close to each other another team might be in a different district.It was alot of fun and alot of true rivalries back then.Some others can speak up and carry this on if you can remember that far back,and if any goodpasture people remember that team from the era please talk about them.I really cannot remember much about them.

Very good post. Its one reason why I dont like comparing teams from decades before to now in any level. People talk about the Steel Curtain defense and how mean and nasty they were. Well they were for the 70s but the speed and agility of today's athletes would probably make them look like high schoolers. We I compare Alcoa teams I usually lump the 77,78,79,88,89 teams together and then the 00 and 04-current teams together.

I remember that the people at Goodpasture treated us very well-then we turned around and treated them very badly on the field :roflol: It started when Peanut laid out their star WR- man that was a gruesome hit :thumb:

It just goes to show you what disciplined football can do for you,cause peanut was and still is a very nice guy.He would not hurt anyone,but put a helmet on a football player and instinct takes over.People call it coaching.Peanut was a great defensive back,solid as a rock,and I believe one of the strongest if not the strongest on the team.

There is actually some footage on YouTube from Goodpasture's 1979 team against Goodletsville and their 'single wing'

I got to see Goddlettsville in 1978 against Maryville and the single wing got clipped pretty bad that night as the Rebs hung half a hundred on them!

Check out the jump pass on the second play.

Goodpasture is in white.

I wonder where all the old game film went from back in days of our old state championships?You being in the know,can you find out?I would not mind trying to convert and preserve it.with permission of Alcoa of course.It would be a great thing to do for all the guys who played back then.See what you can come up with and give me a shout back after season is over with.

Mr. Twister: I didn't think those smaller schools were around in 07. I thought they had already consolidated into Heritage.

I was not talking about 07.I was talking about 1977,1978,1979 State championship teams.

Edited by MrTwister