3A Championship Alcoa v. Goodpasture

Some people just don't belong...-Judge Smails  

125 members have voted

1. 1. The winner is....

• Champions (Alcoa)
    • Country Club (Goodpasture)
    • Just don't care....OR Hope Alcoa loses, but don't really like Goodpasture either.

Best of luck to my boy Derek Evans. It's been a pleasure watching your career and seeing you grow into an outstanding young man and an even better citizen. Thank you for making an appearance at our Banquet a couple of weeks ago. Not only were the kids impressed but so were the parents. I enjoyed seeing you again and catching up with you. Look forward to following you at Appy State. The sky is the limit for Derek Evans and I totally expect to see great things out of you. Good job Scotts50 raising another fine boy in the line of Evans.

This will be my last post before the game. I am leaving work today at noon. I hope there are some good seats left when I get there. I know the boys on both sides will be ready. All this smack is funny and entertaining, but it does'nt mean anything. What matters is what team makes the most plays today. I know the smack talkers know this, but I hope they have enough integrity to post after the game and give Goodpasture there respect if they win! As they say in the investment commercials "Past performance does not guarentee future success!" I think if Goodpasture opens up the play book and throws they ball more than they run it, they will win. If they get to conservative, they will lose. I am confident that Goodpasture will be able to stop the run of Alcoa. I just don't know how they will do against the Alcoa passing game. I don't even know if Alcoa has a good passing game. I have not seen them play since last year. I hope everyone gets to the game safe, and I wish good health to all the players. Not only in this game, but to all the boys playing this weekend. Go Cougars!

I will try and make this short,but since this thread is slow maybe some of the old timers can fill in some of what they remember.Alcoa fans are comparing past champions and i felt like the 77-79 teams have just been forgotten about.We did play goodpasture once during that run.Someone from that team or era can chime in.

There were only 3 divisions then and no private school divisions.Alcoa played single A of course.We had alot more small schools in Blount county.Porter,Friendsville,Lanier,Walland,but I do not rember Alcoa playing Walland that much.The same could be said about Greenback.I have never known Alcoa to ever play them.Maybe someone can answer why that was.Maryville had some real good teams and of course Rule High had some really good teams and players.I hung out with Rodney Dykes class of 79,and I knew alot of the players from that era even though I was 2-3 years behind them,Sam Love,Pat Simonic,Doug Staley,Glen Sankey,Kokey Earls(sp).Terry Whitted,Dutchy Parker,Greg Osborne and so on.Others can chime in on other players cause there were alot during this run of 3 in a row.You can't compare these teams with say the last 15 years or so.Teams then mainly ran the ball.You never ran into the CAK type teams.Everyone ran and sometimes passed and played Defense.Sweetwater was real good with the Lathams and who remembers Joe Cozart.He was awesome.I can remember more than once where coaches from other teams would say that Alcoa was the hardest hitting team that they had ever played.The State Championships were played at one or the others field.It was just so much different then.In the playoffs the scores were always close.You never saw blowouts like you do now.I believe only 2 teams made it from each district,mainly because you had so many more teams then and even though you were close to each other another team might be in a different district.It was alot of fun and alot of true rivalries back then.Some others can speak up and carry this on if you can remember that far back,and if any goodpasture people remember that team from the era please talk about them.I really cannot remember much about them.

I played on the 76 team and we went 8-3 in AA losing to Maryville (20-0), Rule (7-6 in a monsoon. All other area games were cancelled) and Cleveland (28-27 in triple overtime that cost us a playoof birth). We qualified for A for several years and the seniors voted to play up so we wouldn't have to play Vonore, Greenback, Tellico Plains etc. We wanted the tougher competition We went on to play Clinton (AAA) in their Jaycee bowl and beat them 35-6.

The Silver Bullet thing was given to Barry Lail. The coaches nicknamed him "The Silver Bullet".

I played on the 76 team and we went 8-3 in AA losing to Maryville (20-0), Rule (7-6 in a monsoon. All other area games were cancelled) and Cleveland (28-27 in triple overtime that cost us a playoof birth). We qualified for A for several years and the seniors voted to play up so we wouldn't have to play Vonore, Greenback, Tellico Plains etc. We wanted the tougher competition We went on to play Clinton (AAA) in their Jaycee bowl and beat them 35-6.

The Silver Bullet thing was given to Barry Lail. The coaches nicknamed him "The Silver Bullet".

That's all true. However, we started the whole shoot those silver bullets thing as a testament to our hard hitting defenses during those championship years. Hmmm I wonder if my mother still has my Dragon Bowl trophy (I was out with a broken ankle) :unsure:

Edited by alcoafan72