Alcoa 2011-12

rebulldawg

Ok, it's been 48 hours since you got another gold ball...enough celebrating already! What's the scoop on the team for next year?

• How many starters will you lose on offense / defense and in what positions...

• What does the upcoming talent look like? (...middle school, freshmen, JV...what were these teams' records, stand-out players?)

Congrats on another successful season! thumb[1].gif

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Departing Offensive Starters (listed from BCBS Bowl Depth Chart)

Austin Tallent (QB)

Darrell Warren (TB)

Taharin Tyson (FB)

Steven Isom (WR)

Caleb Mangnum (OL)

Derek Evans (OL)

Departing Defensive Starters

Warren (DE)

Tallent (S)

Isom (CB)

Jonivan Henry (DE)

Stanley Johnson (DT)

Jordan Patrick (LB)

As for what Alcoa has next year....They're line is still pretty much intact. They only lose 2 listed starters but I believe there was one guy that subbed a lot so technically you're only losing 1 starter. The key position that looks like its going to hurt will be at the Running Back Position. Vanderbilt Hambrick returns but anyone that has seen him knows he's not a big guy. Alcoa, right now, does have that big bruiser back like Warren and Tyson were. I think #44 Zach Chapman is going to have to step up to fill that role. He's a big kid that got lots of playing time this year.

The other main battle/question mark will be the Quarterback play. Its honestly Landon Turbyfill's job to lose. He's been the back up all year long and fits Rankin's system more. Turbyfill has had some injuries in the past though so that will be something to keep an eye on. Turbyfill will be battling current Freshman QB Austin Morgan for the starting position. Morgan has a better arm but isnt as mobile as Turbyfill. He's more of your prototypical pocket QB. Whats holding him back the most is the fact he's a bone yard. He's really gonna have to pack on some pounds in the offseason to have a strong chance. Korey Bach will pretty much be used as a clean up QB. He's got an average arm but is just too big to be an effective QB. Wouldn't surprise me if he doesnt get moved to another position to fit his play. This all according to what the Middle School has coming up. Ive only seen them play about a half this year.

The key to Rankin that Ive seen the past couple years is once he gets a solid lead he puts in the backups. Giving those kids playing time means a ton down the line as they get older. Alcoa will no doubt be ready

Edited by Tornado74

As for what Alcoa has next year....They're line is still pretty much intact. They only lose 2 listed starters but I believe there was one guy that subbed a lot so technically you're only losing 1 starter.

Alcoa is in fact losing two starting O-linemen. Both Evans and Mangum were 15 game starters at RG and LG respectively. If Mangum was subbed it was to move him to the lead blocker on Alcoa's short yardage, goal line, or T-Gun packages.

With a very strong Oline and a stable of RB's and FB's......I like what I'm seeing!

Vee Hambrick should have 40+ rushing TD's, Then, I look for a great season for Coco, Chenshaw and Chapman. More power and speed. TE Owenby will be a beast and guaranteed to have a big year catching the ball. At WR,I'm glad to have Warfield and Lewis back.

Now filling the holes at DE will be a little harder, But I figure the coaches will develop some great ones!

I see Alcoa being on track for number championship #8. But, the Maryville team returning will be a tough one to beat..........

I think the OL will have the returning starters playing new positions. I see Rankin and Thomas Loy both moving to guard to allow Alcoa to continue its tradition of large fast and physical guards. I can see Tyler Bailey breaking into the starting line-up and taking over at center. Manuel will continue at tackle and Dalton Owenby could be moved over to the other tackle. I can see Chapman making an excellent TE as he has the speed, hands and blocking power to meet the demands of Alcoa's offense. This set will give Alcoa an excellent front six with great size and ability.

With a very strong Oline and a stable of RB's and FB's......I like what I'm seeing!

Vee Hambrick should have 40+ rushing TD's, Then, I look for a great season for Coco, Chenshaw and Chapman. More power and speed. TE Owenby will be a beast and guaranteed to have a big year catching the ball. At WR,I'm glad to have Warfield and Lewis back.

Now filling the holes at DE will be a little harder, But I figure the coaches will develop some great ones!

I see Alcoa being on track for number championship #8. But, the Maryville team returning will be a tough one to beat..........

Is the Warren tree empty? Dangit we need to pick us another one. :mrgreen:

The Warren tree may be empty but if I'm not mistaken, there was a Tyson on the middle school team. Any relation?

I want to say Cousins but Jaquez (I believe is his name) might be a little brother. I dont think he's as big as Taharin was when he was a Freshman but Im sure will get there. Jaquez seems like he could be more solidly built with some speed after a few years in the weight room

I want to say Cousins but Jaquez (I believe is his name) might be a little brother. I dont think he's as big as Taharin was when he was a Freshman but Im sure will get there. Jaquez seems like he could be more solidly built with some speed after a few years in the weight room

I saw Jaquez take a 70 yarder to the house against Grace....

With no shoes on.

Phact.