Alcoa 2011-12

rebulldawg

hats off to Alcoa on their 7th straight...I bang on their open zone atvantage..but it's still an amazing accomplishment..I would have loved to see an Alcoa-Greenville match this season to determine the best team overall in the state..to me...those were the best 2 teams...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hats off to Alcoa on their 7th straight...I bang on their open zone atvantage..but it's still an amazing accomplishment..I would have loved to see an Alcoa-Greenville match this season to determine the best team overall in the state..to me...those were the best 2 teams...

The game that determined the best team in the state was played between Alcoa & Maryville. Although Greenville had a very good team this year they are not in the same league with Alcoa & Maryville. But neither is anyone else.

The game that determined the best team in the state was played between Alcoa & Maryville. Although Greenville had a very good team this year they are not in the same league with Alcoa & Maryville. But neither is anyone else.

As Lee Corso would say, "Not so fast my friend!". I'd put Greeneville for sure, and maybe Webb when it plays good, against these two. Definatley against Maryville for sure. To say that these two are in a class of their own is a fair argument if you look at their programs' history. But history doesn't win you football games. I think Greeneville and Alcoa had pretty identical years, but greeneville just lacks a win against a team like Maryville. WEEK 5 NEXT YEAR BABAAAAAAAAY :twisted: Cant Wait! Maryville will be the class of TN high school football next year.

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Sports/article.php?ID=84257

As Lee Corso would say, "Not so fast my friend!". I'd put Greeneville for sure, and maybe Webb when it plays good, against these two. Definatley against Maryville for sure. To say that these two are in a class of their own is a fair argument if you look at their programs' history. But history doesn't win you football games. I think Greeneville and Alcoa had pretty identical years, but greeneville just lacks a win against a team like Maryville. WEEK 5 NEXT YEAR BABAAAAAAAAY :twisted: Cant Wait! Maryville will be the class of TN high school football next year.

NotSureIfSerious.png

Cmon Man!!! Greeneville had a very very very good team. Arguably a top 5 team in the state but lets be realistic...They never played anybody. Alcoa has a Victory over 6A State Champions and 2 Victories over a team that could have won a State title in any classification between 1A and 4A if they werent in the same class as Alcoa. Greeneville's big games were against Elizabethton and Fulton....2 teams that Alcoa also destroyed.

Could you please put your pom poms up Mr. Fritz !

I agree! I am not trying to rain on anybodys parade and once again, Greeneville is a really good team. However, to say that Greeneville is as good as Maryville and then throw in Webb(are you serious???) too, is absurd! Maryville would beat either of these two by about 3 touchdowns on their own field. As stated earlier, I think Greeneville is a legit top 10 and probably top 6 team in the state regardless of class, but there is a gap between Alcoa, Maryville, Smyrna, and probably Blackman before the rest of the best. I have heard several times that "Greeneville is the best in the state regardless of class", "Greeneville can play with Alcoa", "Greeneville can play with Maryville", "Greeneville would score more on Maryville than Smyrna did", and the now message board famous Mr. Fritz's uneducated comment: " However , Greeneville was better than Alcoa this year. Alcoa didn’t have a player like William Carmichael, and everything else was pretty much even."????? Do they actually let this guy post things in the newspaper around the Tri-Cities area? Anyway, lets look a little deaper at the two teams:

Who Greeneville played, with the teams record,and some notes:

1. Jefferson County (6-5) Only 1 win v/s a team with a winning record! Combined records of Jefferson County's opponents in games they won: 22 wins and 40 losses!

2. Sullivan South (6-5) Greeneville won 35-20 - Combined records of Sullivan South's opponents in games they won: 28 wins and 36 losses!

3. Elizabethton (9-5) During the regular season, Betsy had 6 wins and only 2 of those came against teams with winning record...the other 4 teams combined record was 5 wins and 35 losses. All together during regular season, the combined record of opponents in Betsy's wins was: 20 wins and 42 losses!

4. South Greene (6-5) South Greene beat 1 team this year with a winning record and the combined records for all teams that South Greene beat was: 15 wins and 46 losses!

5. Tennessee High (6-5) Tennessee High had 1 win v/s a team with a winning record(team was 6-5) this year and combined record of teams that Tennessee High beat this year was: 17 wins and 44 losses!

6. West Greene (7-4) Won 3 games v/s teams with a winning record this year...Claiborne(7-4), South Greene(6-5), and Cloudland(6-5) whom are very own little Greenback High destroyed 30-8 in the 1st round of the 1A playoffs! Combined record of West Greene's opponents in games they won: 28 wins and 46 losses!

7. Cumberland Gap (2-8) The two teams they beat were Union Co(1-9) and Cosby(2-8)! Combined record of the two teams Cumberland Gap beat was: 3 wins and 17 losses!

8. Chuckey Doak (7-4) Chuckey Doak had 2 wins v/s teams with a winning record and the combined record of Chuckey's opponents that they beat this year was: 22 wins and 50 losses!

9. Grainger County (2-8) Grainger's 2 wins on the year came against Union Co(2-8) and Cumberland Gap(1-9)...Combined record of teams in their two wins: 3 wins and 17 losses!

10. Claiborne (7-4) Claiborne had 2 wins v/s teams with a winning record: Chuckey Doak(7-4) and South Greene(6-5). Combined record of opponents in all of Claiborne's wins was: 22 wins and 50 losses!

Combined record of Greeneville opponents: 58 wins and 53 losses

** Of those 58 wins Greenevilles opponents had, the combined record of the teams they beat to get the 58 wins was 180 wins and 388 losses. **

Who Alcoa played, with team's record, and some notes:

1. Middlesboro, Ky. (6-6) Made it to the 2nd round of Kentucky state football playoffs!

2. Maryville (14-1) Tennessee 6A State Champions...7 out of 10 regular season opponents made playoffs in 2010! Beat West 35-6 who missed the 5A state championship by 1 game in a 7-0 loss to Columbia, beat Oak Ridge twice whom also came within 1 game of 6A state championship, beat Bearden and their UT football commitment twice by a combined score of 86-36, and beat nationally ranked Smyrna in 6A state champioship!

3. Loudon (9-3) All 3 of Loudon's losses came to either CAK or Alcoa. Alcoa beat them twice! Loudon also beat Howard whom beat Greeneville's first round playoff opponent East ridge!

4. Fulton (7-5) Alcoa won 49-0...Greeneville also played Fulton and won 35-0!

5. Scott Co. (7-5) Of Scott's 3 losses, 3 of them came to Alcoa, CAK, and Loudon! Scott Co made it into the playoffs and lost 45-48 to 11-2 Gibbs High!

6. Howard (8-3) 2 of Howard's 3 losses were to Alcoa and Loudon!

7. Kingston (6-5) 4 of the 5 losses were to Alcoa, CAK, and Loudon!

8. Stone Memorial (3-7) All of Stone Memorial's losses except 1 came against teams that made the playoffs in 2010!

9. McMinn Central (0-10) Not a very good football team this year...they made the playoffs last year and believe they finished 8-3, but graduated a lot of players!

10. CAK (11-2) Both losses coming against Alcoa. CAK is arguably a top 10 team in the state regardless of class in 2010!

Combined record of Alcoa's opponents in 2010: 71 wins and 47 losses!

** 8 of Alcoa's regular season opponents made the playoffs in 2010...If you take out the losses to Alcoa, CAK, and Loudon to all of Alcoa's opponents, they would have a combined record of 71 wins and 27 losses meaning Alcoa's opponents won 3/4 of the games they played against everyone except the big 3 of 3A football!

Greeneville scored 748 points and gave up 136 points in 2010...average of 49.8 ppg offense and 9.1 ppg defense!

Alcoa scored 699 points and gave up 142 points in 2010...average of 46.6 ppg offense and 9.5 defense!

Maryville scored 551 points and gave up 187 points in 2010...average of 36.7 ppg offense and 12.5 ppg defense!

Alcoa and Greeneville common opponents: Fulton and Elizabethton!

Greeneville - 35 and Fulton - 0

Alcoa - 49 and Fulton - 0

Greeneville - 55 and Elizabethton - 14

Alcoa - 55 and Elizabethton - 20

** I was not at the Greeneville/Elizabethton game so cant tell you on that one, but in the Alcoa/Elizabethton game, Alcoa starters put 49 up with about half of the 2nd qtr remaining and then took a seat. Most of the starters came out of the locker room after half time without their pads on and/or in sweats! **

Again, congradulations to Greeneville on a great season and a really good football team! However, I believe if Greeneville had to play the schedules that Alcoa or Maryville played, they would not be undefeated, nor have a scoring record, and their ppg stats would not be as good as Alcoa's or Maryville's against the same schedules that we both played. I think the above stats, records, and info greatly support that fact!

** I would like to see what Alcoa or Maryville's state scoring record would be against the schedule that Greeneville played...and defense for that matter too! Alcoa and maryville probably would not have given up more than 80 points all year with that schedule.

Once again, I want to state this is not a slam on Greeneville or anyone else for that matter...Greeneville is a very good football team and deserves a lot of credit. They are and always will be the 2010 4A Tennessee state champions! I am just comparing the 3 teams since that is what a lot of Greeneville fans(and that newspaper guy) seem to want to do...however, there is not really a comparison between Alcoa and Maryville(other than all 3 are state champions in 2010) against Greeneville as the above has really showed us!

I agree! I am not trying to rain on anybodys parade and once again, Greeneville is a really good team. However, to say that Greeneville is as good as Maryville and then throw in Webb(are you serious???) too, is absurd! Maryville would beat either of these two by about 3 touchdowns on their own field. As stated earlier, I think Greeneville is a legit top 10 and probably top 6 team in the state regardless of class, but there is a gap between Alcoa, Maryville, Smyrna, and probably Blackman before the rest of the best. I have heard several times that "Greeneville is the best in the state regardless of class", "Greeneville can play with Alcoa", "Greeneville can play with Maryville", "Greeneville would score more on Maryville than Smyrna did", and the now message board famous Mr. Fritz's uneducated comment: " However , Greeneville was better than Alcoa this year. Alcoa didn’t have a player like William Carmichael, and everything else was pretty much even."????? Do they actually let this guy post things in the newspaper around the Tri-Cities area? Anyway, lets look a little deaper at the two teams:

1. Jefferson County (6-5) Only 1 win v/s a team with a winning record! Combined records of Jefferson County's opponents in games they won: 22 wins and 40 losses!

2. Sullivan South (6-5) Greeneville won 35-20 - Combined records of Sullivan South's opponents in games they won: 28 wins and 36 losses!

3. Elizabethton (9-5) During the regular season, Betsy had 6 wins and only 2 of those came against teams with winning record...the other 4 teams combined record was 5 wins and 35 losses. All together during regular season, the combined record of opponents in Betsy's wins was: 20 wins and 42 losses!

4. South Greene (6-5) South Greene beat 1 team this year with a winning record and the combined records for all teams that South Greene beat was: 15 wins and 46 losses!

5. Tennessee High (6-5) Tennessee High had 1 win v/s a team with a winning record(team was 6-5) this year and combined record of teams that Tennessee High beat this year was: 17 wins and 44 losses!

6. West Greene (7-4) Won 3 games v/s teams with a winning record this year...Claiborne(7-4), South Greene(6-5), and Cloudland(6-5) whom are very own little Greenback High destroyed 30-8 in the 1st round of the 1A playoffs! Combined record of West Greene's opponents in games they won: 28 wins and 46 losses!

7. Cumberland Gap (2-8) The two teams they beat were Union Co(1-9) and Cosby(2-8)! Combined record of the two teams Cumberland Gap beat was: 3 wins and 17 losses!

8. Chuckey Doak (7-4) Chuckey Doak had 2 wins v/s teams with a winning record and the combined record of Chuckey's opponents that they beat this year was: 22 wins and 50 losses!

9. Grainger County (2-8) Grainger's 2 wins on the year came against Union Co(2-8) and Cumberland Gap(1-9)...Combined record of teams in their two wins: 3 wins and 17 losses!

10. Claiborne (7-4) Claiborne had 2 wins v/s teams with a winning record: Chuckey Doak(7-4) and South Greene(6-5). Combined record of opponents in all of Claiborne's wins was: 22 wins and 50 losses!

** Of those 58 wins Greenevilles opponents had, the combined record of the teams they beat to get the 58 wins was 180 wins and 388 losses. **

1. Middlesboro, Ky. (6-6) Made it to the 2nd round of Kentucky state football playoffs!

2. Maryville (14-1) Tennessee 6A State Champions...7 out of 10 regular season opponents made playoffs in 2010! Beat West 35-6 who missed the 5A state championship by 1 game in a 7-0 loss to Columbia, beat Oak Ridge twice whom also came within 1 game of 6A state championship, beat Bearden and their UT football commitment twice by a combined score of 86-36, and beat nationally ranked Smyrna in 6A state champioship!

3. Loudon (9-3) All 3 of Loudon's losses came to either CAK or Alcoa. Alcoa beat them twice! Loudon also beat Howard whom beat Greeneville's first round playoff opponent East ridge!

5. Scott Co. (7-5) Of Scott's 3 losses, 3 of them came to Alcoa, CAK, and Loudon! Scott Co made it into the playoffs and lost 45-48 to 11-2 Gibbs High!

8. Stone Memorial (3-7) All of Stone Memorial's losses except 1 came against teams that made the playoffs in 2010!

9. McMinn Central (0-10) Not a very good football team this year...they made the playoffs last year and believe they finished 8-3, but graduated a lot of players!

10. CAK (11-2) Both losses coming against Alcoa. CAK is arguably a top 10 team in the state regardless of class in 2010!

** 8 of Alcoa's regular season opponents made the playoffs in 2010...If you take out the losses to Alcoa, CAK, and Loudon to all of Alcoa's opponents, they would have a combined record of 71 wins and 27 losses meaning Alcoa's opponents won 3/4 of the games they played against everyone except the big 3 of 3A football!

Greeneville scored 748 points and gave up 136 points in 2010...average of 49.8 ppg offense and 9.1 ppg defense!

Alcoa scored 699 points and gave up 142 points in 2010...average of 46.6 ppg offense and 9.5 defense!

Maryville scored 551 points and gave up 187 points in 2010...average of 36.7 ppg offense and 12.5 ppg defense!

** I was not at the Greeneville/Elizabethton game so cant tell you on that one, but in the Alcoa/Elizabethton game, Alcoa starters put 49 up with about half of the 2nd qtr remaining and then took a seat. Most of the starters came out of the locker room after half time without their pads on and/or in sweats! **

Again, congradulations to Greeneville on a great season and a really good football team! However, I believe if Greeneville had to play the schedules that Alcoa or Maryville played, they would not be undefeated, nor have a scoring record, and their ppg stats would not be as good as Alcoa's or Maryville's against the same schedules that we both played. I think the above stats, records, and info greatly support that fact!

** I would like to see what Alcoa or Maryville's state scoring record would be against the schedule that Greeneville played...and defense for that matter too! Alcoa and maryville probably would not have given up more than 80 points all year with that schedule.

Once again, I want to state this is not a slam on Greeneville or anyone else for that matter...Greeneville is a very good football team and deserves a lot of credit. They are and always will be the 2010 4A Tennessee state champions! I am just comparing the 3 teams since that is what a lot of Greeneville fans(and that newspaper guy) seem to want to do...however, there is not really a comparison between Alcoa and Maryville(other than all 3 are state champions in 2010) against Greeneville as the above has really showed us!

:thumb: Great post. However, it will go in one ear and out the other! But the proof is in the pudding!!! :thumb:

Alcoa is going to be fine next year. I thought that this season would be a challenge for them. Why?????

In 2009:

Alcoa had no passing game to speak of (aside from throwing it to Tyler Robinson). He graduated and is now catching passes with Cobb at Kentucky.

The offensive attack was to hand it to Jaron Toney and watch him score 50 touchdowns. That is a great attack too by the way. They lost Toney.

Daniel Rockymore was Alcoa's best playmaker on the outside in 2009 and even he graduated.

On defense they lost the Robinsons (Nate, Daniel, and Tyler). They also lost Dee Herbert, who was a great player at linebacker.

Darwin Kerr and Tyler McGlothlin were the interior tackles on Alcoa's defense last year. Kerr graduated and McGlothlin didn't play, from what I saw, in 2010.

Prior to 2010:

Steven Isom was not a proven playmaker at reciever on the offensive side of the football.

Darrell Warren was not a proven running back. He started at DE but he did not play offense.

Vanderbilt Hambrick (I will guess) was a JV player.

Jarod Crenshaw, Zach Chapman, LaJaun Warfield, and Landon Turbyfill (along with Jonvian Henry: who was a senior this year) were guys I don't even recall seeing on last year's depth chart at the title game.

Alcoa returns too many players in 2011 not to be good. The schedule is tougher and they do lose some great players..........but they also return a lot of other great players. Look at the roster!

Alcoa is going to be fine next year. I thought that this season would be a challenge for them. Why?????

In 2009:

Alcoa had no passing game to speak of (aside from throwing it to Tyler Robinson). He graduated and is now catching passes with Cobb at Kentucky.

The offensive attack was to hand it to Jaron Toney and watch him score 50 touchdowns. That is a great attack too by the way. They lost Toney.

Daniel Rockymore was Alcoa's best playmaker on the outside in 2009 and even he graduated.

On defense they lost the Robinsons (Nate, Daniel, and Tyler). They also lost Dee Herbert, who was a great player at linebacker.

Darwin Kerr and Tyler McGlothlin were the interior tackles on Alcoa's defense last year. Kerr graduated and McGlothlin didn't play, from what I saw, in 2010.

Prior to 2010:

Steven Isom was not a proven playmaker at reciever on the offensive side of the football.

Darrell Warren was not a proven running back. He started at DE but he did not play offense.

Vanderbilt Hambrick (I will guess) was a JV player.

Jarod Crenshaw, Zach Chapman, LaJaun Warfield, and Landon Turbyfill (along with Jonvian Henry: who was a senior this year) were guys I don't even recall seeing on last year's depth chart at the title game.

Alcoa returns too many players in 2011 not to be good. The schedule is tougher and they do lose some great players..........but they also return a lot of other great players. Look at the roster!

We do lose alot in this Senoir class not only great players but more importantly great leaders and great young men. Leadership is the key to any programs success and I deffinatly see leadership quality in most of the Junior class. Starting with JT Rankin aka the workaholic not very vocal but leads by example. The same can be said for V Hambrick solid kid who works extremly hard. Zach Chapman aka The Bull will also be counted on to lead. Colby Tait is as hard a working kid as you will find. Big Steven Manuel and his a shucks nature will fool you he is as tenacious as anyone. Lawan Warfield may be the most vocal of any of the rising class yand will be looked too to provide his vocal leadership (2 Hype). Alcoa loses a great Senior class each and every year but the kids who look up to and follow each year are being molded into leaders and when it is their time to lead they are ready. With Coach and his staff leading the way and teaching these younger kids how to lead it is just like a locomotive staying on track.

Id like to see Alcoa's scoring record if we didnt pull starters out after the first series in the 3rd Quarter. Seriously, I think Turbyfill got more playing time then Tallent at QB this year. lol