Views on the Tresevant Ordeal

compusatman

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I don't think race had anything to do with the way Trezevant played. It was clearly a lack of discipline that started with the coaching staff. It was a shame and a sad end to a good year for the Trezevant team.

I think to say they came out with "swagger " is a stretch on your part. You want to see a good example of "swagger" then watch the Steelers on most Sundays. Now that's "swagger" at its best. Not dirty but in your face football.

SWAGGER? It was more like STAGGER after they got their butts knocked off and humiliated. What's even more ludicrous is the fact that the Memphis City School Administration complained about the penalities been levied as being too harsh. Low class and No class equals Tz football and coaching staff!

SWAGGER? It was more like STAGGER after they got their butts knocked off and humiliated. What's even more ludicrous is the fact that the Memphis City School Administration complained about the penalities been levied as being too harsh. Low class and No class equals Tz football and coaching staff!

The bad thing is the THS players that were playing good football and trying were over shadowed by the thuggs on the team. They are now lumped in with them no changeing it. :x

I really hate what happened for the good kids and people that care about Tresvant.Maybe this can be something that every coach,official,parent and any one that loves high school football can learn from.This is not the first time in the history of Greeneville football that such things have happened when it comes to dirty players or fans.It is by far the best job of any Greeneville team to not respond .While playing for the Devils.I got bit,spit on and briefly paralyzed by a late cheep shot from behind,just to name a few things on the field.We had grown men drinking,cursing,throwing rocks and trying to get myself and teammates to fight right behind our bench in more then one game.I'll go ahead and admit that I resonded to the dirty play on the field with my fist but I wasn't about to bite another player and have to my knowledge,never spit on anyone. Back in the fiftes the Greeneville team had to get around their coach after he KO'd a fan who was well deserving during one of the fights Greeneville has been into.I'm not saying that a Devil team never started a few fights ,but I've never seen any team do what the Tresevant players were doing without a coach really making it known he was not pleased.I put the blame for the most part on the Tresevant coaches and then the officials for letting it go.I had a coach in basketball that knew we didn't have the talent to play with a great bunch of athletes one time.He told us to make them mad by playing "hard" ball and they would get out of their game.It worked and some of them even got tossed for starting fights.I was 12 years old and know for a fact this is something many kids learn.There is however a difference in playing hard ball and being down right dirty.

Edited by BatmanDB

The bad thing is the THS players that were playing good football and trying were over shadowed by the thuggs on the team. They are now lumped in with them no changeing it. :x

I have followed this on several boards...including the Commercial Appeal and am astounded by the number of people that think its unfair to punish all the players for the actions of a few. I read that Trezevant suspended 7 players or roughly 1/4 of their team. TEAM...do people forget the purpose of high school sports is to foster teamwork, excellence and fair play. I believe an announcement is made before each play-off game exactly scropted by TSSAA as follows:

Welcome to tonight's ________ round of the TSSAA Football Play-Off series contest between _______________________ and _______________________. As member schools of the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association, they remind you that sportsmanship and the objectives of educational athletics are what set this event apart from other levels of competition. Your cooperation and support of the values promoted by these two schools is appreciated.

2. We are pleased to welcome you this evening to (Name of School). Good sportsmanship is one of the primary purposes of educational athletics. Our student athletes recognize that judgement calls are made in good faith and that they must abide by the decisions of the officials. Spectators can support their high school interscholastic program by refraining from derogatory or demeaning remarks or cheers. We hope you will enjoy the game and support your athletes in a positive and sportsmanlike manner.

This is followed by a meeting of administrators, game officials, security, and coaches where several items are covered...what is expected by TSSAA of officials, coaches, administrators and players in regards to the rules and sportsmanship.

The Trezevant coaches and school administrators chose to allow a few (obviously 7) players' disregard for the rules to continue unchecked. Teli White allowed some selfish little twits, who obviously think they are above the rules to destroy any semblence of TEAM the Bears had. And yes its a tough lesson but to coin a corny old phrase "there is no I in TEAM".

I have followed this on several boards...including the Commercial Appeal and am astounded by the number of people that think its unfair to punish all the players for the actions of a few. I read that Trezevant suspended 7 players or roughly 1/4 of their team. TEAM...do people forget the purpose of high school sports is to foster teamwork, excellence and fair play. I believe an announcement is made before each play-off game exactly scropted by TSSAA as follows:

Welcome to tonight's ________ round of the TSSAA Football Play-Off series contest between _______________________ and _______________________. As member schools of the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association, they remind you that sportsmanship and the objectives of educational athletics are what set this event apart from other levels of competition. Your cooperation and support of the values promoted by these two schools is appreciated.

2. We are pleased to welcome you this evening to (Name of School). Good sportsmanship is one of the primary purposes of educational athletics. Our student athletes recognize that judgement calls are made in good faith and that they must abide by the decisions of the officials. Spectators can support their high school interscholastic program by refraining from derogatory or demeaning remarks or cheers. We hope you will enjoy the game and support your athletes in a positive and sportsmanlike manner.

This is followed by a meeting of administrators, game officials, security, and coaches where several items are covered...what is expected by TSSAA of officials, coaches, administrators and players in regards to the rules and sportsmanship.

The Trezevant coaches and school administrators chose to allow a few (obviously 7) players' disregard for the rules to continue unchecked. Teli White allowed some selfish little twits, who obviously think they are above the rules to destroy any semblence of TEAM the Bears had. And yes its a tough lesson but to coin a corny old phrase "there is no I in TEAM".

I agree with what you say it is just sad that they had no leadership on the field or off. WIN as a TEAM LOSE as a TEAM. The 7 should have never been allowed to ruin it for the TEAM, from what I have read this was going on all year!!!! :x

Many may feel this thread is becoming long in tooth. However, if there were injuries or heaven forbid fatalities then retribution would have been the order of the day. There are rules in place to guard against such happenings. Those rules were not enforced. The reason is anyones guess. The fact is...the game should not have continued. There have been posts in other threads that alluded to similar displays of violence with events involving this school throughout the season. As well in other sports. The TSSAA escaped law suit by a slim margin on this one. If I were an AD I would be hard pressed to schedule this school for any athletic events with my school. Fortunately, I do not live in the same region as this school.

Many may feel this thread is becoming long in tooth. However, if there were injuries or heaven forbid fatalities then retribution would have been the order of the day. There are rules in place to guard against such happenings. Those rules were not enforced. The reason is anyones guess. The fact is...the game should not have continued. There have been posts in other threads that alluded to similar displays of violence with events involving this school throughout the season. As well in other sports. The TSSAA escaped law suit by a slim margin on this one. If I were an AD I would be hard pressed to schedule this school for any athletic events with my school. Fortunately, I do not live in the same region as this school.

As a Greeneville fan and as a parent with a son on the team I hope we dont play them again. They are from the west so the only way we should have too is in the playoffs.

I blame both coaches for this. Tresevants coach should have sat them boys down who were cheap shotting. Greeneville's coach should have taken his starters out when the game was getting out of hand.

Blame Both Coaches???? OMG, had this been done against Maryville, you would be calling for heads to roll!!! What a hypocritical post!!! <_<