Views on the Tresevant Ordeal

compusatman

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone's views.

Punishment should be directed toward the coaching staff and athletic director. The head coach especially is responsible for the way his players approach the game. There appeared to be an attitude that intimidation would rule for the Bears with no regard for sportsmanship. The head coach seemed to reflect the attitude of his players when he mentioned in his half time interview that they needed to play on despite the unfair officiating. He alone could have defused the situation by calling timeout after the 2nd personal foul on his team, calling the officials over within hearing distance of a team meeting, and instructing his team to play hard regardless of score and with class as they were representing their community in Memphis. He could have told his players anyone receiving a personal foul from that point forward would be removed from the game and stripped of their jersey on the sideline. The head coach is ultimately responsible for the actions of his players. Trezevant's coach may be a fine man, but in this case he failed to exercise control over his team and it reflects poorly on his character and judgement. I believe he should have been suspended from coaching 1 year for the actions of his team. I don't see how fines for the football team and the athletic department do much good.

I agree to most of what you wrote Crawdad.I'm old school when it comes to stuff like that.If a kid would have lost track of where he was and hit someone out of bounds or just a little late,I could see that.To try and hit someone hard is perfectly fine,but any coach worth his salt should have called timeout and met that one player on the field and marched him to the locker room.

Everyone's views.

Fights erupting during a game are bad, amirite? Did an official get run over..... :)

Seriously, I think that some of it was harsh, but I have not seen the film on the game so my judgment is off. I heard they did some flagrant stuff. I think the officials failed to diffuse the situation, and the coach did too. I think a fine, suspensions of players, and a fine to the administration and coaching staff would have been enough...but I might change my mind if I saw the film.

I blame both coaches for this. Tresevants coach should have sat them boys down who were cheap shotting. Greeneville's coach should have taken his starters out when the game was getting out of hand.

In any other situaion, I would agree with you. But I think Ballard was right in keeping his experienced more mature players in this one. I was really impressed with the way they maintained their composure. Younger players might not have responded to the garbage the same way. I hate to think that drawing the Devils into an altercation in hopes of thinning the talent was part of the plan, but after watching that game again on video, I noticed the cheap-shots escalated in the second half. Not exactly indicative of a Coach that was trying to maintain control. Seeing as how the target of most of the PF's was the kicking unit, I'm surprised Caine didn't just decide to go for the 2-pt conversion every time after that first hit on his long-snapper in the second quarter.

Well I don't know alot about Trezevant other than what I witnessed in the championship game. I'm not sure if their actions were typical or just frustrations or nerves. If their actions were typical and have been reported before then I think there should have been more done. Especially towards the head coach and AD.

TYPICAL is correct to say the least..like Hogan I agree more should have been be done not only by TSSAA but Memphis School Admin. ..this is only of many times Memphis inner city schools have played with NO discipline WhatSoEver..

In five decades of watching high school football, this is the only instance where I would describe the on field situation as dangerous. There was clear intent not to beat the other team but to maim the opposition. To apply parallel justice, in society we sequester those who are a threat to others around them. A fine does not sequester, neither, I think does it deter - especially when the perpetrators will not be the ones paying the fine. Playing football in the TSSAA should be like driving: a privilige. If a school demonstrates it behaves as a drunk driver, threatening others around them - liscence revoked. To put it another way, what I saw on the field was beyond the pale of poor sportsmanship. It was criminal. Not an exaggeration in saying that.