Miss Basketball Thread

CoachT

I watch WC just about every game and I've been very suprised that they haven't lost more games than just 1. Carly is having a good year but WC is not even close to being as good as they could be. They have had teams in the past that would blow this team off the court. This may be the year that they win it though.

This could be the year for Wayne co.No matter who the teams are that make it to the Boro,it is going to be some tough teams .Whether it be Lake Co.,Jackson Co.,Moore Co,Scotts Hill ,Wayne Co etc if those teams do make it..Even the first game is going to be tough.If Scotts Hills,Lake Co,Greenfield,Bradford or Dresden or Gleason, etc..the first game is going to be against Moore Co.,Jackson Co.,Wayne Co more than likely.So no breather for any of the teams.

Totally agree with you and maybe they do i'm not sure but generally underclassmen do not win it for whatever reason.

Because if a freshmen or sophomore is good enough to be considered that young then they'll be good enough to be considered as they get older I guess. It's not a perfect system but it's the best we have. Also I believe they take in past accomplishments when awarding the reward.

I saw the Coe girl play the other night and though she's good she won't be considered for Ms. Basketball this year because she is a freshman and there is too many other talented girls right now. Ptguard named off 10 that could easily be considered for Ms Basketball. Personally I think Layce Colter from RBS should be considered as a finalist. Though RBS doesn't play a tough schedule if you watch the teams they do play they will have 2 sometimes 3 girls guarding her at once and she'll still find away to score, but the schedule RBS plays prevents anyone or makes it extremely hard for anyone to get recognized for anything.

T.T. Flowers scored 36 points tonight against Union city in a variety of moves .Flowers does some things in the open court that very few players can do.She could score points like this about every game if Coach Johnson didn't take her out.A lot of times,Lake Co is winning big and sometimes she hasn't played but about a quarter in some games.When she is on the floor,Lake Co is a completely team..Like the Union City radio announcer said before the game tonight.Flowers is the player that sets the table for Lake Co.It's not just her scoring.Her defense and ball handling against the other teams press and always goes against the other teams best and most athletic player.That is what sets her apart.Putting other players and giving them the ball for easy layups when she drives to the basket.A lot of times,she has an easy layup only to give the ball up.Great game T.T. and the rest of the Lady Falcons.

The more I have thought about it, the more I think the nominees in class A should be Carly Daniel, Rachel Garland, and Alecia Simmons. All three average your typical 15 - 20 points per game, but they also put up other impressive numbers in ALL other statistical categories. Daniel averages double-digit rebounds and about 3.5 steals per game. Simmons has to average like 7 assists per game and like 4 to 5 steals per game. Garland leads her team in most statisical categories as well; her stats have been taken down from moore county's website in preperation for post season play. They do all of this against QUALITY competition night in and night out. All 3 have put up these numbers despite having teams play numerous junk defenses and often times double, and even occassionally triple, teaming them. They are leaders on the court and off. You don't see any of them get technical fouls or flagrant fouls, and none of them are rude and unsportsmanlike with other players. I don't know how they are in the classroom, but I am sure they are upstanding students as well. in my opinion, they are the best 3 well-rounded class A nominees. Of the three, Daniel shoudl win.

The more I have thought about it, the more I think the nominees in class A should be Carly Daniel, Rachel Garland, and Alecia Simmons. All three average your typical 15 - 20 points per game, but they also put up other impressive numbers in ALL other statistical categories. Daniel averages double-digit rebounds and about 3.5 steals per game. Simmons has to average like 7 assists per game and like 4 to 5 steals per game. Garland leads her team in most statisical categories as well; her stats have been taken down from moore county's website in preperation for post season play. They do all of this against QUALITY competition night in and night out. All 3 have put up these numbers despite having teams play numerous junk defenses and often times double, and even occassionally triple, teaming them. They are leaders on the court and off. You don't see any of them get technical fouls or flagrant fouls, and none of them are rude and unsportsmanlike with other players. I don't know how they are in the classroom, but I am sure they are upstanding students as well. in my opinion, they are the best 3 well-rounded class A nominees. Of the three, Daniel shoudl win.

I'm not even from Lake Co. but have you seen T.T. Flowers play or are you just a Middle Tenn fan.Dyer Co was only playing a girld game last night so I drove to Union City basically for the boys game but T.T. Flowers is without a doubt the quickest player in Single A ball.She put on a show last night and just about every game I've seen her.Wow.She has moves that many girls can't do.

T.T. Flowers is the best player in Single A.I haven't seen any of the players you named except the Simmons girl from PC.She,s not bad but certaintly not in T'T's class.For one.too slow.T.T. would eat her lunch.She has to shoot a lot for the team she's on because she doesn't have a lot of talent around her.T.T. has players around her but she makes them go.If T.T. was on a team like PC or Halls,she would average 30 points a game.Get real.Miss Basketball shouldn't be about how mant points a girl scores.We probably have Shamone Pearson that has scored a lot of points off layups because T.T. drove the lane and could have shot a layup and dished the ball off for an easy 2 points.I'm not convinced Daniel is all that or Wayne Co is the #1 team in the State.I read that Lake Co beat them at a camp in Martin.I also see they beat PC by 9 points.Lake Co beat PC by 16 points at PC.If Lake Co makes it to the State,people will see when she goes against these teams head to head.Had about 22 points against Oliver Springs at the State as a freshman.Do you not think she's better after 2 years?Get real.

Edited by lcwildfalcon

T.T. Flowers is the best player in Single A.I haven't seen any of the players you named except the Simmons girl from PC.She,s not bad but certaintly not in T'T's class.For one.too slow.T.T. would eat her lunch.She has to shoot a lot for the team she's on because she doesn't have a lot of talent around her.T.T. has players around her but she makes them go.If T.T. was on a team like PC or Halls,she would average 30 points a game.Get real.Miss Basketball shouldn't be about how mant points a girl scores.We probably have Shamone Pearson that has scored a lot of points off layups because T.T. drove the lane and could have shot a layup and dished the ball off for an easy 2 points.I'm not convinced Daniel is all that or Wayne Co is the #1 team in the State.I read that Lake Co beat them at a camp in Martin.I also see they beat PC by 9 points.Lake Co beat PC by 16 points at PC.If Lake Co makes it to the State,people will see when she goes against these teams head to head.Had about 22 points against Oliver Springs at the State as a freshman.Do you not think she's better after 2 years?Get real.

Wild .Most in /west Tenn know what T.T. Flowers can do.She has proven that against bigger schools like Central,that is ranked 4th in the State.When she was on the floor,she was the best player and Lake Co was the best team.Most people seem to think basketball was invented in Middle Tenn because of the dominance of Jackson Co etc.Most of the voters or newspapers are around the Nashville area.The teams there are going to get the votes.It's that simple.You saw that Lake Co dropped from 1st to 3rd after winning 4 games by large numbers.Lake Co has been playing very well the past 3 weeks after some of the younger girls have improved and Coach has added some things.Beat a good Bradford team about 5 nights ago by close to 40 points.Beat Union City last night by 31 points.I saw in a post on 12A that Wayne Co struggled with PC last night.Won by about 8 or 9 points.Nothing wrong with struggling some games.Just that when Lake Co sruggles,they seem to really drop.Never min..They drop even when they win by 30 points.Why is that?Will Wayne Co drop.Probably not.Lake Co struggled against PC but won by 16 points.They dropped.But it'll all work out.Best thing the voters can do is put Scotts Hills at number 1.Thay have had a few overtime games and thrillers but at least nobody has beaten them.They may be as good as any team in the State,But since they're not Jackson Co or Wayne Co..not going to get the votes.As for Miss Basketball.Most people have never seen T.T. play.A lot of them don't even know who she is.They haven't seen Lake Co play..Haldf of them probably don't even know where Lake Co is.But funny.Every time she plays against one of those powerhouses ..in camps or a real game.Nobody can guard her.The only thing that hurts her is picking up stupid fouls,some just and some not.But when she is on the floor.I'd take her over any player in Single A.

Edited by mrbigster

I drove over to Perry County that night to see the Lake County/Perry County game. I wouldn't dare miss the opportunity to see Lake County on a rare trip for them to Middle Tennessee, so I had it marked down on my calendar at the beginning of the year (it beat me having to drive all the way to Greenfield or Bradford to see them). I discussed this game on the 14A thread, I believe. In that game, one sizzling hot quarter from the outside separated Lake County from Perry County. Lake County won that game because they have a more well-rounded team with solid players at all five spots and a capable bench. They are also about 5x more athletic than Perry County at all five spots as well. They did not win that game because Flowers outplayed Simmons. In fact, those in attendance would probably tell you that Simmons actually outplayed Flowers. She was statistically better than Flowers in almost all statistical categories outside of probably rebounds. Flowers was faster than Simmons, but it didn't help her to force Simmons into any turnovers (I believe she had fewer turnovers than Flowers). Flowers's speed was offset by Simmons's strength and IQ. Flowers is much more explosive and her moves are definitely flashy and awe-inspiring. Simmons doesn't have the speed and athleticism to do the kind of "wow" things Flowers does, but it doesn't keep her from playing excellent basketball each night. Both are excellent players and they do everything possible for their team to win. I was impressed with both players court demeanor and leadership abilities. Perry County plays a brutal schedule, and Simmons has done very well despite having teams throw numerous defenses at her all year long and moving from the 2-guard spot to the point. Her numbers would likely be even better if she had more than just a couple of other good players on the floor with her to take just a little bit of the defensive attention off of her. Flowers has strong players around her that can score and take the pressure off of her every game. Teams cannot sit on her all game long and leave others wide open and still beat Lake County. Her speed is her greatest asset, and she finishes well. She would likely have greater numbers if she weren't sometimes picked apart by referees (sometimes she is out of control, but other times, she's not) or if her team didn't play some weaker teams that allow them to blow the game open midway through the 1st quarter.

Essentially, you could easily nominate any combination of girls and not miss a beat in Class A. All are deserving, and they will all likely end up being All-State this year (or at least they should). This is just one of those years where there are quite a few great ball players out there, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Next year's nominations (barring any injuries or other unforeseen circumstances) should be much more clear.

Edited by ptguard12

kendra william is a all around player. look at this 4 year average rebounds 486 (4.4) assists 400 (3.5)steals 300(2.8) POINTS 2060 (21.5) PER GAME..... GREAT BASKETBALL PLAYER JAN 31.201.

Miss Williams would make a great Class AA Miss Basketball nominee. Unfortunately, she comes from an area that is greatly overshadowed by boys basketball coverage. Her talent has been obvious for a long time now, and she could certainly end up being a nominee.

I don't think it should matter what grade you're in as long as you are in high school. Miss Basketball is given to a young lady that is the best in that particular year. It shouldn't matter how many points they've scored in previous years, it should only matter in that one year what the player has done on the court. There are many young lady's that would be very deserving of the award but i'm telling every one right now that Jaycee Coe from Jackson County is one of the best players in the state regardless of the fact that she is a freshman and regardless of what division she plays in and she is on one of the best teams in the state that plays a very very high level of competition. She may not win it but i promise you she should be in the top 5 and is very worthy of consideration. Those of you that have't seen her play, make sure you get a seat up close at the state tournament and those of you that have seen her, well i don't need to say anything. When the opposing team puts their best player on you and face guards you all night long and you still drop over 20 a game you're pretty special :popcorneater:

Jaycee Coe is the best Freshman player in the Upper Cumberland that I have seen in seven or eight years. :flower:

I drove over to Perry County that night to see the Lake County/Perry County game. I wouldn't dare miss the opportunity to see Lake County on a rare trip for them to Middle Tennessee, so I had it marked down on my calendar at the beginning of the year (it beat me having to drive all the way to Greenfield or Bradford to see them). I discussed this game on the 14A thread, I believe. In that game, one sizzling hot quarter from the outside separated Lake County from Perry County. Lake County won that game because they have a more well-rounded team with solid players at all five spots and a capable bench. They are also about 5x more athletic than Perry County at all five spots as well. They did not win that game because Flowers outplayed Simmons. In fact, those in attendance would probably tell you that Simmons actually outplayed Flowers. She was statistically better than Flowers in almost all statistical categories outside of probably rebounds. Flowers was faster than Simmons, but it didn't help her to force Simmons into any turnovers (I believe she had fewer turnovers than Flowers). Flowers's speed was offset by Simmons's strength and IQ. Flowers is much more explosive and her moves are definitely flashy and awe-inspiring. Simmons doesn't have the speed and athleticism to do the kind of "wow" things Flowers does, but it doesn't keep her from playing excellent basketball each night. Both are excellent players and they do everything possible for their team to win. I was impressed with both players court demeanor and leadership abilities. Perry County plays a brutal schedule, and Simmons has done very well despite having teams throw numerous defenses at her all year long and moving from the 2-guard spot to the point. Her numbers would likely be even better if she had more than just a couple of other good players on the floor with her to take just a little bit of the defensive attention off of her. Flowers has strong players around her that can score and take the pressure off of her every game. Teams cannot sit on her all game long and leave others wide open and still beat Lake County. Her speed is her greatest asset, and she finishes well. She would likely have greater numbers if she weren't sometimes picked apart by referees (sometimes she is out of control, but other times, she's not) or if her team didn't play some weaker teams that allow them to blow the game open midway through the 1st quarter.

Essentially, you could easily nominate any combination of girls and not miss a beat in Class A. All are deserving, and they will all likely end up being All-State this year (or at least they should). This is just one of those years where there are quite a few great ball players out there, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Next year's nominations (barring any injuries or other unforeseen circumstances) should be much more clear.

I saw Lake Co play PC at Tiptonville and Lake co had a 16 point lead in the first half but T.T. had to sit out most of the second half.While she was on the floor,wasn't a comparison.The Simmons girl got a lot of points the second half about 14 from the free throw line.Maybe you just didn't come to the right 1 game.Should have came to Bradford with Lake Co winning by about 40 points and T.T. dominating.Or Union City a couple nights ago when she did everything but sell popcorn and had 36 points.T.T. had to do more scoring as a freshman but now she doesn't have to score as much for Lake Co to win.again.if Lake Co was a 1 person team like PC basically is..T.T. would have to shoot more and could average 30 points a game.But the fact is..Simmons is a good player but nowhere close to the athleticm of Flowers.The scoring isn't what makes T.T. a greta player.It's her quickness,handling the ball and setting the other players up for an easier two points.Teams can't press Lake Co.Lake Co basically just gets everyone out of the way and lets T.T. bring the ball down the court.It's not all about scoring.Because of Flowers,the other Lake Co players get open shots and easy layups.That's just as good as her scoring.

Edited by lcwildfalcon