McMinn Central vs Livingston Academy

jwcardin

Actually, I would. And one of those gold balls was won playing against LA in '93 by double-digits. :roflol:

Please excuse my error. I didn't realize Central had ever won a gold ball. I'm just too young to remember that far back. :blink: I am old enough to remember: 02-03 LA wins sectional in roundhouse 62-53-----03-04 LA beats Central in Green Co. tourney and again in state championship game 50-38----05-06 Central wins sectional at rdhouse over LA- 68-66----06-07 LA wins sect. in rdhouse 54-45----08-09 LA with 13 losses on the season eliminates an undefeated Central team in 1st game of state tourney 64-54. I may have missed a season game somewhere along the line during this period but this gives a pretty good idea of how the series has gone between the two schools in this century. All that doesn't mean a thing tonight. Good luck to both teams and stay injury free. G-O H-O-G-E-Y-E!

If I were the coach (and I'm sure a lot of people thank God every day that I'm not) this is what I would do...

To beat McMinn: Play an aggressive full court press against them from the get go with lots of pressure on their weakest guard. Cannon Co. was able to hurt McMinn doing this and built a double digit lead (up to 17 points at one point IIRC). However, I'm sure McMinn has worked on this during the season and the press may not be as effective now as it was early in the season. On offense I would be patient and methodical and take my time waiting for an open shot. I'd spread the floor a little to give Sells some one-on-one opportunities.

To beat LA: I'd start out with my usual full court press but if it wasn't giving me an advantage I'd drop out of it to save energy for later and concentrate on playing a fast paced transition game and a half court game with a lot of motion to wear LA down a little. Around the beginning of the 4th quarter or whenever I sensed that LA was getting a little tired I'd go back to an aggressive full court press. Cannon Co. started pressing LA in the 4th quarter during their last game and was able to cut a 10 point lead to 0 in a matter of minutes. LA was visibly tired in the 4th quarter and their play suffered.

As a side note...how hard is it to get a ticket to Cannon's sectional game? Well, Cannon's gym is named after a previous legendary Hall of Fame coach who is still alive and kicking and attends a lot of the games. When he tried to get a ticket yesterday he was told the game was sold out... :o:o:o

Please excuse my error. I didn't realize Central had ever won a gold ball. I'm just too young to remember that far back. :blink: I am old enough to remember: 02-03 LA wins sectional in roundhouse 62-53-----03-04 LA beats Central in Green Co. tourney and again in state championship game 50-38----05-06 Central wins sectional at rdhouse over LA- 68-66----06-07 LA wins sect. in rdhouse 54-45----08-09 LA with 13 losses on the season eliminates an undefeated Central team in 1st game of state tourney 64-54. I may have missed a season game somewhere along the line during this period but this gives a pretty good idea of how the series has gone between the two schools in this century. All that doesn't mean a thing tonight. Good luck to both teams and stay injury free. G-O H-O-G-E-Y-E!

A riddle for rabbitrancher: Who said you erred about Central?

By the way, with your cherry-picking you conveniently left out a couple of Central's victories over LA. No problem, though.....I know your m.o. :thumb:

You young whippersnappers didn't realize girls' high school basketball was played prior to this century? Reminds me of the Florida football fans who thought SEC football didn't exist prior to the mid 90's. :wacko:

If I were the coach (and I'm sure a lot of people thank God every day that I'm not) this is what I would do...

To beat McMinn: Play an aggressive full court press against them from the get go with lots of pressure on their weakest guard. Cannon Co. was able to hurt McMinn doing this and built a double digit lead (up to 17 points at one point IIRC). However, I'm sure McMinn has worked on this during the season and the press may not be as effective now as it was early in the season. On offense I would be patient and methodical and take my time waiting for an open shot. I'd spread the floor a little to give Sells some one-on-one opportunities.

To beat LA: I'd start out with my usual full court press but if it wasn't giving me an advantage I'd drop out of it to save energy for later and concentrate on playing a fast paced transition game and a half court game with a lot of motion to wear LA down a little. Around the beginning of the 4th quarter or whenever I sensed that LA was getting a little tired I'd go back to an aggressive full court press. Cannon Co. started pressing LA in the 4th quarter during their last game and was able to cut a 10 point lead to 0 in a matter of minutes. LA was visibly tired in the 4th quarter and their play suffered.

As a side note...how hard is it to get a ticket to Cannon's sectional game? Well, Cannon's gym is named after a previous legendary Hall of Fame coach who is still alive and kicking and attends a lot of the games. When he tried to get a ticket yesterday he was told the game was sold out... :o:o:o

Well, maybe you should be coaching. I just talked this morning to the head ref (yes, he's from McMinn Co.) that did the Region Championship Game between LA & Cannon.....and HE SAID THE VERY SAME THING YOU JUST STATED about beating LA......ie, their durability late in the game.

If I were a betting man, I'd wager your former Coach will be at the Cannon Co. game. Since Central had built up a 39-3 lead over East Hamilton with a few minutes to go in the second quarter, expect to see your bench get LOTS of PT in the game, or beat the crowd to the restaurants at halftime. :roflol:

A riddle for rabbitrancher: Who said you erred about Central?

By the way, with your cherry-picking you conveniently left out a couple of Central's victories over LA. No problem, though.....I know your m.o. :thumb:

You young whippersnappers didn't realize girls' high school basketball was played prior to this century? Reminds me of the Florida football fans who thought SEC football didn't exist prior to the mid 90's. :wacko:

Oh yeah, and as far as beting Central.....I know what I'd do if I was coaching against them. And I think this issue with Central has cost them a couple of gold balls already. :cry:

Oh yeah, and as far as beating Central.....I know what I'd do if I was coaching against them. And I think this issue with Central has cost them a couple of gold balls already. :cry:

Don't keep us in suspense...I'd understand though if you waited until the bus from Overton County was already on the road to tell us... :mrgreen:

Edited by woodvegas

Don't keep us in suspense...I'd understand though if you waited until the bus from Overton County was already on the road to tell us... :mrgreen:

I assure you that a good coach would pick up on it watching tapes of Central play in a close game, or playing against them. Remember Cannon Co. losing to Central in the 2010 substate, then beating them in the followup game this season? Hmmmmm......

(hint: You may have nailed it in your earlier theory of beating Central.)

The biggest reason the press hurt la against CC in the 4th, was Our point guard had fouled out with 4 min left. WE played the rest of the game without a true pt guard. Not sure why cause we got a dandy backup? LA goes 8 or 9 deep so conditioning wont be a prob, fouls on the other hand could hurt either team!

The biggest reason the press hurt la against CC in the 4th, was Our point guard had fouled out with 4 min left. WE played the rest of the game without a true pt guard. Not sure why cause we got a dandy backup? LA goes 8 or 9 deep so conditioning wont be a prob, fouls on the other hand could hurt either team!

My take is this - Most of the time it is hard to gauge outcomes because of parity. Cannon may have had the formula to match up to MC's defense that LA doesn't I don't know. That is why just cause they beat MC it does not mean a thing. Except the statement the only team to beat MC comes from 8-AA.

I have a feeling that gaurd play may give a very slight edge to LA, not ball control or protection but scoring from the perimeter. I will give a bigger edge to MC inside. I think this could be the difference. To beat LA, MC needs to go away from its traditional pressure, cause I think this can potentially play into the hands of LA. If MC makes LA shoot from the dribble and not setting their feet, play good pressure HALF COURT "D" with some pressure added throughout, and work the ball inside putting LA in bad defensive positions, I believe they could win shockingly more than anyone would think. If we try to play our pressure full court all game long, we are going to keep LA in the game. Just my humble opinion - but I will concure to the decision of Coach Morgan, his formula has worked for him for years and I for one think a lot of him and his job throughout the past 20 years.

I've had the privilege of watching both of these teams play twice this year and both are excellent teams. The tall girl (sorry i don't remember her name) from MC is a real player. She will definitely be a tough match-up for LA. MC has a solid team and they are very well coached. McKenzie Sells from LA is also a very good player and i feel is a tough match-up for MC and LA is also very well coached so both teams will be prepared for what the other team does best. This is going to come down to who makes the plays when it counts. If it wasn't so far away i would come down and watch it as i remember the time Jackson County had to travel down to the "round" house. Its a great atmosphere for a high school game and this one should be a dandy! Good luck to both teams but i'm pulling for LA and all the upper cumberland teams! Go hogeye!!