The Truth...

TNMan11

There has always been attrition in the football program. There were 45+ boys on my freshmen team and only 17 of those played as a senior. The fact of the matter is that it takes a lot of sacriice and hardwork to be successful in Division II. Coach Bowers coach hard, Coach Rutledge coached hard, and Coach McGugin coached hard. Working the boys hard is nothing new at MBA. What is new is that some board members children are the ones quiting. Of course the parents blame the coach and refuse to even consider whether or not their children actually deserved to play more/at all.

I don't know who your sources are, but they're obviously someone associated with the Simonis family. I think I'll take James Kay's word on how the majority of the team feels about coach McGugin. Go to the MBA thread to read for yourself.

Our team now has more players than ever before. More players now that ever before in football at MBA. I'll take James's word too.

There are only 2 guys that have quit, and their reason was they didn't like the coach. They knew (we all knew) they werent going to get playing time. We'll see if they come out for football now or if it was all about playing time,

I am long removed from MBA, but my experience was as you describe it. The amount of time the boys put in these days is unbelieveable. I agree that seniors should get the first look but I also believe that nothing should be guaranteed and that the best players should play. I only played special teams as a senior and would love to have played more, but was still happy to be a part of some good teams and enjoyed my expereince.

You and Bigredbigblue are both dead on target. I've posted previously about the arms race in high school football. We may be turning out better teams (all schools, not just MBA), but what is the cost in terms of the things the boys miss?

You and Bigredbigblue are both dead on target. I've posted previously about the arms race in high school football. We may be turning out better teams (all schools, not just MBA), but what is the cost in terms of the things the boys miss?

KW, I have refrained from posting here, but I do want to make a comment. You ask what have the boys missed? And I ask what have the boys gained (besides football)? I can only comment about what my boys experienced and my youngest graduated 3 years ago, but the boys who came to MBA in the "non-traditional" way added a lot to the the school off the playing field as well as on. Many of the boys who came through those places (Time To Rise, and Backfield in Motion most notably)were not athletes at all. Some of the athletes were artist and musicians as well, not to mention great students. I know that there are those that would like to turn the clock back 30 or 40 years, but it does not seem to me that MBA would offer as rich an experience if all the boys come from Ensworth, Harding, Overbrook, Oak Hill, Julia Green etc.like they once did. Just my observation.

BigRedDad, you are a recent parent, so you're a lot closer to it than a lot of us outsiders who were there a long time ago...the perception from myself and lot of others is that the football culture has become, over the past 10-15 years, something "different" than what it used to be. A lot more intense, a lot more pressure-filled, a lot more "winning isn't everything, it's the only thing," etc. That to me is what gives rise to the raw feelings which begat this current debacle. The stakes are higher, and kids and families are investing a lot more in football than they used to. Not saying that's reality, but it's the perception.

I don't think anyone is lamenting who the students are, or where they come from. There has been much-needed improvement over the years in that department.

something "different" than what it used to be. A lot more intense, a lot more pressure-filled, a lot more "winning isn't everything, it's the only thing," etc. That to me is what gives rise to the raw feelings which begat this current debacle. The stakes are higher, and kids and families are investing a lot more in football than they used to. Not saying that's reality, but it's the perception.

It's called keeping up with ENSWORTH. That is where the athletic pressure is coming from. The "kissing cousin rivalry" is intense, especially since the gold balls are beginning to roll into Ensworth's trophy case.

BigRedDad, you are a recent parent, so you're a lot closer to it than a lot of us outsiders who were there a long time ago...the perception from myself and lot of others is that the football culture has become, over the past 10-15 years, something "different" than what it used to be. A lot more intense, a lot more pressure-filled, a lot more "winning isn't everything, it's the only thing," etc. That to me is what gives rise to the raw feelings which begat this current debacle. The stakes are higher, and kids and families are investing a lot more in football than they used to. Not saying that's reality, but it's the perception.

I don't think anyone is lamenting who the students are, or where they come from. There has been much-needed improvement over the years in that department.

I guess my response to that is that everything is more intense now, starting with youth sports. Take a look sometime at a 8-10 year old baseball or basketball game, listen to the coaches and parents. Then take a look at college admission. When my daughter applied to UVa for admission to the 1st year glass in 2002 they received 11,000 applications for 3,000 spots. When my son applied to UVa to start in 2008 they received 23, applications for the same 3,000 spots. Intensity and competition has ratcheted up tremendously. I'm not saying that is a good thing, in fact it clearly isn't, but it is a sign of bigger things about our society and culture then simply what is going on at MBA. While one can argue that MBA should be above it, it seems the school is reflecting what is happening.

• Upvote 2

The Truth is. MBA is a well respected institution. Has been doing thing correctly with the STUDENT athlete for a very long time. In comes a young coach who thinks he is doing the kid the right way and bad your labled as a cheater.

Brentwood Academy had that lable for a long time. They went to court and won. Now the TSSAA is having tp pay handsomely to BA for the trouble.

So be careful when you lable a school as a cheater. It might come back and bite you in the butt one day

The Truth is. MBA is a well respected institution. Has been doing thing correctly with the STUDENT athlete for a very long time. In comes a young coach who thinks he is doing the kid the right way and bad your labled as a cheater.

Brentwood Academy had that lable for a long time. They went to court and won. Now the TSSAA is having tp pay handsomely to BA for the trouble.

So be careful when you lable a school as a cheater. It might come back and bite you in the butt one day

When telling the truth it is always important to make sure you are right first. You may want to check your facts.

Threats from the cheaters could have been predicted.

Sorry if you don't like it, and you should work hard to get over it, but as of right now, MBA = Cheaters.

You're going to owe this family a HUGE apology when all the facts are on the table. This kid's decision not to play for this coach came during the 2010 season; this was way before any 2011 meetings or roster assignments. This decision was private for him and he remained silent and did not advertise his reasons. The factor of being benched for 2011was not even discussed nor an issue, no team meetings had occurred or rosters made. He remained silent and demanded not one thing. There was a called meeting, not by the student, on why he was not going to play the 2011 season. The reasons were given in written form and being benched was not one of them. Now for the jabs. If you remember the record in 2009 before he was called up was 5-4; the record after he finished was 9-5. The only loss MBA suffered during his tenure that season was to MUS in the championship game. The playoff games were hard fought by the whole team and included BGA, ENSWORTH, and BA. This set of games would make it hard for anyone to discount that his contribution. All the guys you mentioned were there during the 5-4 part of the season. Now for the next jab that DavidSchwetty seems to enjoy -- that he is not as good as the back up QB. I BEG to differ. Its rare that a 2 QB system works (UT for example). The stats that I could find shows the back up QB's rushing yards somewhere around negative 1.7 per carry and this kid's rushing yards were positive 4.7. Pass completion was essentially the same. Interceptions were three for both. Two of the starting QB's interceptions were Hail Mary's during the ENSWORTH game. Many of the stats racked up by the back up were done on teams with loosing records. I went to those games and to me there is NO question which one can read the field, pass, scramble, lead, and get the job done - it's the same one that stepped up when called in the 2009. If you polled the team you would get the same answer by a supermajority. He is a true and respected leader!

Since the topic of this thread is The Truth, it is appropriate to discuss the ramifications of where this path has lead and should take the school. The source of the funds and how they got into the coaches faculty mailbox will apparently never be known. We do know that the coach, when called in to the headmasters office early this month, could have lied and said he did not see the cashiers check in the unmarked envelope on October 12, 2008. He told the truth and said that he saw it but did not question it-we all know now that he should have. You can decide for yourself if you think he lied about not questioning the funds. What is known for certain is that the family took the money knowing full well that it might be a rules violation, paid bills, and said nothing for two and a half years even when the father was talking with the coach and exchanging emails. During that time they exposed the school, their son, and all the players to potential penalties for the money they received. The parents kept the chip in their back pocket and played it at the perfect time on April 1, 2011 obviously knowing it would wreck the coach without realizing they had just committed themselves to a pay for play conspiracy. You can chose to believe the coach or not. It matters not now. Either way, the family knew the money was dirty, not earned and was not part of any legal financial aid. That is the truth as painful as it is. To this date the money has not been returned and the family retains the funds with no aplogy to the school, the parents or to anyone. How will MBA deal with parents at games who took dirty money? That is the next issue that needs to be addressed.

Since the topic of this thread is The Truth, it is appropriate to discuss the ramifications of where this path has lead and should take the school. The source of the funds and how they got into the coaches faculty mailbox will apparently never be known. We do know that the coach, when called in to the headmasters office early this month, could have lied and said he did not see the cashiers check in the unmarked envelope on October 12, 2008. He told the truth and said that he saw it but did not question it-we all know now that he should have. You can decide for yourself if you think he lied about not questioning the funds. What is known for certain is that the family took the money knowing full well that it might be a rules violation, paid bills, and said nothing for two and a half years even when the father was talking with the coach and exchanging emails. During that time they exposed the school, their son, and all the players to potential penalties for the money they received. The parents kept the chip in their back pocket and played it at the perfect time on April 1, 2011 obviously knowing it would wreck the coach without realizing they had just committed themselves to a pay for play conspiracy. You can chose to believe the coach or not. It matters not now. Either way, the family knew the money was dirty, not earned and was not part of any legal financial aid. That is the truth as painful as it is. To this date the money has not been returned and the family retains the funds with no aplogy to the school, the parents or to anyone. How will MBA deal with parents at games who took dirty money? That is the next issue that needs to be addressed.

A teammate in the weightroom today told us he got a mr. Simonus doll in his Easter basket. You pull the string and it talks 3 years later