Rhea County Coaching Search

With the timing of his resignation, the school will have to make a coaching decision rather quickly. That being said, will they have the best group of coaches to pick from? We're only eleven (or so) weeks from game week. Exactly how many coaches are looking for a job? If they have a job, would they leave their boys to come here?

I have a couple names in mind as to my vote (not that my voice means anything) for the next head coach at RCHS. Both coaches have great jobs in which they've acquired in the past year. Coach Mike Kinney is our baseball coach, where he has already begun to turn around the program. The other, Jerry Cook, is now defensive coordinator at Chattanooga Central. I'd love to see either of these men lead the squad in the fall, but I doubt this would happen.

What about the Ballard guy from Greeneville? He has ties with RC and I believe he applied when Hammontree left a few years ago. I also pose another question: should Rhea County go with someone who has zero ties in RC?

With the timing of his resignation, the school will have to make a coaching decision rather quickly. That being said, will they have the best group of coaches to pick from? We're only eleven (or so) weeks from game week. Exactly how many coaches are looking for a job? If they have a job, would they leave their boys to come here?

I have a couple names in mind as to my vote (not that my voice means anything) for the next head coach at RCHS. Both coaches have great jobs in which they've acquired in the past year. Coach Mike Kinney is our baseball coach, where he has already begun to turn around the program. The other, Jerry Cook, is now defensive coordinator at Chattanooga Central. I'd love to see either of these men lead the squad in the fall, but I doubt this would happen.

What about the Ballard guy from Greeneville? He has ties with RC and I believe he applied when Hammontree left a few years ago. I also pose another question: should Rhea County go with someone who has zero ties in RC?

You make a valid point in your post. My take on it is that Mike Kinney needs to stay with the baseball program. As you said he is in process of turning it around.

Ballard want leave Greenville I dont think. And they would have to find a teaching position.

Jerry Cook would be the logical candidate for the position. Has been on staff the past 3 seasons and has an insight on the program.

Coach Ballard just purchased a farm in Greeneville and he has a millionaire backing his program up there. Coach Ballard has it made.

Coach Kinney I don't know if that would be the right way to go.

I talked to Coach O at Bledsoe and he is not interested in the head job but if the right coach came along he might be the O coordinator. But O has it made over in Bledsoe.

Coach Cook is a good option and he does know this team and the adjustment period would be short if any.

Coach Allen at Chatt Central has always had his eye on being the head coach at Rhea Co. But he just took the Chatt Central job so I doubt he leaves there.

Coach Pemberton would be a good choice. He did lead Catholic to a state title.

Or we could go for someone who has no ties.

Edited by Rhea Co.

Coach Ballard just purchased a farm in Greeneville and he has a millionaire backing his program up there. Coach Ballard has it made.

Coach Kinney I don't know if that would be the right way to go.

I talked to Coach O at Bledsoe and he is not interested in the head job but if the right coach came along he might be the O coordinator. But O has it made over in Bledsoe.

Coach Cook is a good option and he does know this team and the adjustment period would be short if any.

Coach Allen at Chatt Central has always had his eye on being the head coach at Rhea Co. But he just took the Chatt Central job so I doubt he leaves there.

Coach Pemberton would be a good choice. He did lead Catholic to a state title.

Or we could go for someone who has no ties.

Rhea Co looks like you for one are staying on top of it. I really don't think no one without ties will get the job. To late.

Coach Allen I'm sure want leave Central at this point.

As you say Coach Cook is a good option.

Coach O would be a good candidate as OC for Cook.

Coach Pemberton is the Head Coach at Macon County High School, it has been rumored that parents and supportors paid a heafty price tag to bring him here from Georgia. Prior to that he was the Head Coach at Knox Catholic where he won a state champioship and had something like a 69-1 record there at one time.Before being named at Knox Catholic he was named Head Coach at Chattanooga Central and took them thru spring practice back around 2000-2001 at the end of Spring Practice he left to go to Knox Cathlic. Prior to that I am not real sure. Let me make this clear we want Coach Pemberton in Macon County! He has done great things with these boys and it will only get better. Best of luck in your coaching search....stay away from Macon County Please!

Coach Pemberton is the Head Coach at Macon County High School, it has been rumored that parents and supportors paid a heafty price tag to bring him here from Georgia. Prior to that he was the Head Coach at Knox Catholic where he won a state champioship and had something like a 69-1 record there at one time.Before being named at Knox Catholic he was named Head Coach at Chattanooga Central and took them thru spring practice back around 2000-2001 at the end of Spring Practice he left to go to Knox Cathlic. Prior to that I am not real sure. Let me make this clear we want Coach Pemberton in Macon County! He has done great things with these boys and it will only get better. Best of luck in your coaching search....stay away from Macon County Please!

^^^scared to death, needs to change his underwear.^^^ :roflolk:

• Upvote 1

I for one like the idea of hiring one that has close ties. Most of the candidates listed sound entertaining but there is one that stands out above the rest to me. Coach Cook. We all have seen what he has done at Spring City for several years. He has been on staff for the past couple of years. He knows our young men. I believe he is ready and this would be a perfect opportunity. It obviously appears that he wants to move up in rank. Not to mention he is a great upstanding citizen in our community. UT was in a similar situation where they had to hurry and make a hire. They made a hire and no doubt had questions if he was really ready. It seems to be working out ok for them. There will be a learning curve as to every new position in the workplace. Bottomline I believe Coach Cook is ready and would grab it by the horns IF he was offered and accepted the position.

i'm sure the cleveland fans are shaking in their boots at the thought of us hiring a middle school coach.

They went out and threw money at a big name coach in the Chattanooga area. We...on the other hand...are talking about hiring a red dogs coach, a guy who's the OC at Bledsoe who has no legitimate football experience, and a bunch of other misfits.

It'll be pretty obvious after this hiring process is over how committed we as a county are to having a quality football team.