Rhea County Coaching Search

Coach I know you were not implying that the ex coaches played favs nor were you calling your players duds. I know you care about each one of your kids. You are doing a good job with the program here at Rhea and we appreciate you. I do have one suggestion for an opportunity for improvement though. I have personally seen some athletes drop out of basketball because they couldn't make all the required workouts practices etc. Some are two to three sport athletes that are usually involved at multiple sports at a time. Some of these individuals I have witnessed could definitely come off the bench and give you valuable minutes and provide better depth. I understand basketball is not seasonal anymore just like every other sport isn't but I think you need to realize basketball is not every childs primary sport. One child particular had to quit because he had summer football workouts early in the morning, basketball practice early afternoon, then two hour drive and a two to three hour baseball practice then two hour drive back home each day. It is their youth and somehow it has to work if a young man or woman wants to play multi sports.

Back to the coaching search!

I agree with this post. I think these athletes should be encouraged to participate in more than one sport, not pulled like a yoyo until they're frustrated and forced to make a choice. As big as our school is we should have enough athletes for all sports but the truth is we just don't. And football will always be the sport of choice for most dual athletes. I can name several that quit basketball not because they didn't like playing and not because they weren't good enough to play but because of the pressure they got to make a choice. You are building a great basketball program and you've got some upcoming talent that you haven't even let fully develop on the court but I am confident you know what you're doing. We support basketball just like we support football. But like BigBird said, you do need to take a hard look at how much pressure you put on the boys that want to play two sports.

I agree with this post. I think these athletes should be encouraged to participate in more than one sport, not pulled like a yoyo until they're frustrated and forced to make a choice. As big as our school is we should have enough athletes for all sports but the truth is we just don't. And football will always be the sport of choice for most dual athletes. I can name several that quit basketball not because they didn't like playing and not because they weren't good enough to play but because of the pressure they got to make a choice. You are building a great basketball program and you've got some upcoming talent that you haven't even let fully develop on the court but I am confident you know what you're doing. We support basketball just like we support football. But like BigBird said, you do need to take a hard look at how much pressure you put on the boys that want to play two sports.

BigBird and eaglefan you both make great points in your post. This is the players high school years. And yes I do believe they are pressured into making decisions.

After a few days and lots of discussion our family strongly feels Coach Cook is the the best hire. I REALLY believe he is on the brink of doing GREAT things WHEREVER he is at. Some of the other candidates are qualified but this is where we stand. He has been involved in our county's football for years. He grew up here. He laced em up and strapped it on here! He knows football and most of all I believe he will make our kids better men. I am definitely not one for hiring one of these guys that has a trend of leaving in a year or two. Coach Cook is one of our own! Lets treat him like one!

Yes I agree. Everywhere I go it's all you hear. Coach Cook. From all I hear and to all I have spoken to Coach Cook deserves his shot. Without a doubt a BIG Rhea County favorite. Administration do whats right here and give this coach the oppurtunity he deserves.

After doing a little research and talking to a couple players, they believe that Davis would be a good choice for the Head Coaching position. They believe he would be a coach that would work the boys hard but be fair. He always brought some fun to his basketball practices, I beleive this would carry over to football. I don't know what he would do on offense but a coach who has that many years as an assistant has had to of run several types of schemes and offenses. Him knowing the talent that we have would be a key in his choosing what offense would best suit the players in our program. His knowledge of an overall football program is good but he may also bring some new things to the program that in a way would be new life. It all comes down to this program is in a tough spot. With few teaching positions to fill with possible coaches, stability in the staff with what we have could be a key. I believe if Davis were named, Mitchell would stay on because Davis would allow Mitchell to coach the O-Line and work in practices for the most part the way it has been. With Coach Jeremy Fitzgerald wanting to also stay, his enthusiasm and knowledge could also be very helpful. Davis may be able to keep Hampton in the loop if he does not find another job. He could also use Coach Revis in a bigger role. He does a great job with the players and in a bigger role could provide some great insight. Who knows, Davis could even try to persuade Coach Cook to not leave and be the new defensive coordinator. With workouts starting Wednesday the quicker this is done could prove to be the way to go for our 2011 season and beyond. A solid group of freshmen need a good summer like the rest of the boys to get us winning again and back in the playoffs!

After doing a little research and talking to a couple players, they believe that Davis would be a good choice for the Head Coaching position. They believe he would be a coach that would work the boys hard but be fair. He always brought some fun to his basketball practices, I beleive this would carry over to football. I don't know what he would do on offense but a coach who has that many years as an assistant has had to of run several types of schemes and offenses. Him knowing the talent that we have would be a key in his choosing what offense would best suit the players in our program. His knowledge of an overall football program is good but he may also bring some new things to the program that in a way would be new life. It all comes down to this program is in a tough spot. With few teaching positions to fill with possible coaches, stability in the staff with what we have could be a key. I believe if Davis were named, Mitchell would stay on because Davis would allow Mitchell to coach the O-Line and work in practices for the most part the way it has been. With Coach Jeremy Fitzgerald wanting to also stay, his enthusiasm and knowledge could also be very helpful. Davis may be able to keep Hampton in the loop if he does not find another job. He could also use Coach Revis in a bigger role. He does a great job with the players and in a bigger role could provide some great insight. Who knows, Davis could even try to persuade Coach Cook to not leave and be the new defensive coordinator. With workouts starting Wednesday the quicker this is done could prove to be the way to go for our 2011 season and beyond. A solid group of freshmen need a good summer like the rest of the boys to get us winning again and back in the playoffs!

This is why Coach Cook needs to be the new head coach. And about making it fun in basketball well it hadnt bleed over to football yet. Every practice I have attended he is always yelling at someone. Need to go with the home town boy here. He knows his football.

This is why Coach Cook needs to be the new head coach. And about making it fun in basketball well it hadnt bleed over to football yet. Every practice I have attended he is always yelling at someone. Need to go with the home town boy here. He knows his football.

I know and like each of these individuals as coaches and men. Bottom line Coach Cook :excl::excl::excl:

Don't go to the every practice I've attended he is yelling at someone. Coach Fitzgerald was a fine coach also

and I have seen him get on players also. Your point about going with the hometown boy makes no sense and I am from here. That may be our problem, it certainly looks like that with some other things that go along with the school. I for one have been very pleased with Davis and believe he should get his shot also. Coach Cook is good also. I am not going to turn this into a ripping of one coach to promote another. They both would be good choices. Cook seems to be coaching at Chattanooga Central now and Davis is still at Rhea COunty. I, like the players that I talked to, believe Davis would be the logical and right choice. They can see that he wants them to do well both on and off the field. Success can be measured in many ways. I believe Davis is the way to go and I will not change my mind because others beleive a hometown boy should get his shot.

There is 0% chance that we hire Davis. Possibly less.

There is one factor overlooked in this discussion and it is not any of the coaches. What many coaches

in and out of Rhea County know is that there are problems in the Rhea County administration. Former

School Directors made sure that School Board Members stayed out of coaching and hiring decisions.

That is no longer the case. Until this year it was hard to tell who was serving as AD. Even coaches

had trouble finding out who was in charge of athletics at Rhea County High School. Now take that

situation and add in the low pay and you just don't have coaches standing in line to work at Rhea

County. The best hope is a local person who loves the county and does not mind abuse.

There is one factor overlooked in this discussion and it is not any of the coaches. What many coaches

in and out of Rhea County know is that there are problems in the Rhea County administration. Former

School Directors made sure that School Board Members stayed out of coaching and hiring decisions.

That is no longer the case. Until this year it was hard to tell who was serving as AD. Even coaches

had trouble finding out who was in charge of athletics at Rhea County High School. Now take that

situation and add in the low pay and you just don't have coaches standing in line to work at Rhea

County. The best hope is a local person who loves the county and does not mind abuse.

That man is Walt Cameron.