Best players EVER to come from your Team.

Name the best players that have come from your school ever? I am an Oak Ridge fan, so here are my top 5

1. Buddy Pope played on the 1958 state and national title team. Originally signed with UT, went on to star for MTSU.

2. Shawn Summers 1991 state champion team. Played at UT for 4 years.

3. Mike Caldwell LB played for MTSU in college. Really good career in the NFL for many years with the Browns and Eagles.

4. Emmon Love Had many good years with Tennessee.

5. Jason Mcaddley Played for Alabama and started. Has had a solid career in the NFL for many years.

These are just some out of the long line of great players to cdome out of OR. I am fairly young, and most of these guys i remember except for Pope and Love. Pope is forever embedded in OR football lore..Had a 16 yard per carry average in the national title year of 1958. I think that is a record if i am not mistaking? There may be Other OR fans on here who are older then me who have a better gauge of who the better players were. I saw most of these guys play growing up or played with them in HS. All in all we have had some tremendous players come through Oak Ridge. I think we have had close to 10 who have played in the NFL either as a starter or simply just made the NFL. Anyways, lets hear your schools great players!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tanner Williams, Take a look at the TSSAA record book at the QB spot. Although he's not playing college ball anywhere, (opted for baseball at Tenn Tech). He was a great High School football player.

Tanner was a great one, but he was also the proverbial "system" QB. Was good, but the system he played it made him to be a lot better. The guy threw every down pretty much, so really he should own the passing records since he passed that much. Still, not taking anything away from him, really good player with the system he was in. Kinda a Danny Wuerrfel type player. Great if in the system that is designed for him.

Your right SS. Still got to be great enough to make throw after throw after throw. Every game generally hinged on his performance. He had a few bad games in two years, but for the most part he was as solid of a high school gunslinger as Ive ever seen around here. Two inches and 20 more pounds and I think he could've went D1. Tanner had a cannon for an arm and very accurate. You witnessed one of his very few lack luster performances out at Blankinship last year. Few and far between. We're certainly going to miss him.

Your right SS. Still got to be great enough to make throw after throw after throw. Every game generally hinged on his performance. He had a few bad games in two years, but for the most part he was as solid of a high school gunslinger as Ive ever seen around here. Two inches and 20 more pounds and I think he could've went D1. Tanner had a cannon for an arm and very accurate. You witnessed one of his very few lack luster performances out at Blankinship last year. Few and far between. We're certainly going to miss him.

Totally agree buddy. Trust me, i wasnt saying he wasnt any good, obviously he was. Gillum just had the perfect system for him to excel. Well, i agree and dont agree with the performance he had against us. You gotta give us credit for that. In 2 games against us AC has scored 23 points. Gotta give The Ridgers and coach blade props for that. Bet there arent many teams out there who couldve held the AC offense to that low of scores 2 years straight.

John Hudson, OL from Henry County. Played at Auburn. Went on to play 10 seasons in the NFL for the Philadelphia Eagles, New York Jets, and Baltimore Ravens.

Marsalis Teague, formerly played QB for Henry County. Currently seeing the field regularly as a DB for the Tennessee Vols.

Dominique Allen, RB/FB at Henry County. Graduated the same year as Teague and had an offer list that was nearly as long. Ended up playing a short stint as a FB for the LSU Tigers before being dismissed because of academic issues, and is going to play football for a smaller school.

Calvin McNairl, played QB at Henry County. Went to Tennessee State University where he played QB for two seasons before being moved to receiver this past season, and still has one more year of eligibility and is considered one of, if not their best receiver.

Much talent has come out of Henry Co. over the years, but the 4 listed above stood out the most. Andrew Jelks, current offensive lineman for Henry County, graduates next year and will likely join this list. He currently holds 17 or 18 D1 offers including 6 from SEC schools.

From Maryville 3-10 could be argued all day long. But! There is no doubt about the 2 best players. Danny Spradlin and Aaron Douglas. Spradlin was a freak of nature. When he played from 1974-76 for Maryville he was 6'2 225 lbs RB/LB running a 4.5 forty.While playing for the Dallas Cowboys he was benching over 500 lbs. Aaron Douglas would have been Maryville's next player in the NFL had he lived.

I give OR all the credit. I dont like it but I will. OR/AC games recently have been low scoring slobberknockers. We generally lose the low score games, because of defence or lack there-of. The last two seasons the games could have went either way right up to late in the 4th. The ridge has smashed us late in the game with a good ole fashion 3 yards and a cloud of dust running game. As I have posted before I think the Mavs D will be much improved, hopefully our lineman wont have to go both ways the whole year. Which will change alot of things on the field.

HOOK EM' HORNS

From Maryville 3-10 could be argued all day long. But! There is no doubt about the 2 best players. Danny Spradlin and Aaron Douglas. Spradlin was a freak of nature. When he played from 1974-76 for Maryville he was 6'2 225 lbs RB/LB running a 4.5 forty.While playing for the Dallas Cowboys he was benching over 500 lbs. Aaron Douglas would have been Maryville's next player in the NFL had he lived.

I forgot Jerry Colquitt on my list, he was one of the best QB's OR has ever had. Played for UT, but of course got hurt the year Manning was a freshman. Hey, is that Danny Spradlin guy related to a guy named David Spradlin from Maryville? He was my coach in football at the boys club in Oak Ridge growing up. Was also a baseball coach of mine. Played ball with his son Josh all my life. I am pretty sure David Spradlin was a pretty good athlete too? Anyways, was just wondering, i know Spradlin is a pretty common name in Maryville, so maybe he isnt related?