South Pitt and Signal Mountain scared of Alcoa

ckyfan

This is a dead horse. I think some of these other 1A teams in the state that play muffin schedules should step up their schedule. S.P has stepped up their schedule. I dont believe they play any 1A teams except the ones in the district. I would like to play Alcoa, but not with the current schedule that S.P has. That schedule is plenty tough enough already.

I was looking at Alcoa's past schedules and it is amazing at what has been done with that program in the last decade. For 3 years they were just a decent football team, then to the most dominant team in their classification, then to what we have now and the most dominant team in the state period.

I believe Signal Mountain and South Pittsburgh coaches were wrong when they openly stated the reasons as to why they aren't playing Alcoa. You don't openly state that you don't want your team to get beat up, that not only tells your team they're better but their a lot more physical as well. Everyone knows what and who Alcoa is, but I believe as a coach you instill the confidence in your team that they can beat everyone they come up against even if they can't. I played football for Red Boiling Springs and though we had only 16 players where only 8 or 9 of those players only really knew what they were doing our coach always talked about how we could make it to the playoffs, though we knew and he knew we probably we wouldn't win a game. I always had respect for him because he did his best to lift our spirits. I know that is not like this because all 3 programs are good programs. Though I firmly believe you play anyone because the better the teams are you play the better you will be, I still understand why they didn't. However, when if I was going to have to give a reason as to why I wasn't playing them I would have lied or come up with some other excuses to why I wasn't playing other than saying "We don't want no part of that monster" or "I don't want to take a chance of getting anyone hurt before the playoffs." In just my own personal opinion I would have went about all of this a different way rather than basically openly admitting I was scared and didn't want to play...It's a contact sport for goodness sake!

:thumb:

What I also meant to add to that previous post was how come Alcoa doesn't take their team and compete with someone on the national level. Right now they are obviously the best team in the state without a shadow of the doubt. Why are they trying to add Signal Mountain and South Pitt on the schedule when beating them proves nothing. They should go and seek out one of the better teams in the country, Say someone in Alabama or Georgia, to play.

Maybe Alcoa is scared of that BogeyMan in them states. tomatoes.gif

Yes, it is frustrating with teams not playing S.P. The difference is that S.P. has only about 220 students. If you read my statement then you would understand what I was saying about the schedule. I believe SP plays enough tough teams on their schedule. I would like to play Alcoa, it would be a good experience and lesson for our kids. However, the schedule he has set for the next two years is PLENTY tough enough already. S.P. has week 7 open, Alcoa didn't have that date anyway so anything we say is really pointless.

Grider won't play Alcoa.

I was looking at Alcoa's past schedules and it is amazing at what has been done with that program in the last decade. For 3 years they were just a decent football team, then to the most dominant team in their classification, then to what we have now and the most dominant team in the state period.

I believe Signal Mountain and South Pittsburgh coaches were wrong when they openly stated the reasons as to why they aren't playing Alcoa. You don't openly state that you don't want your team to get beat up, that not only tells your team they're better but their a lot more physical as well. Everyone knows what and who Alcoa is, but I believe as a coach you instill the confidence in your team that they can beat everyone they come up against even if they can't. I played football for Red Boiling Springs and though we had only 16 players where only 8 or 9 of those players only really knew what they were doing our coach always talked about how we could make it to the playoffs, though we knew and he knew we probably we wouldn't win a game. I always had respect for him because he did his best to lift our spirits. I know that is not like this because all 3 programs are good programs. Though I firmly believe you play anyone because the better the teams are you play the better you will be, I still understand why they didn't. However, when if I was going to have to give a reason as to why I wasn't playing them I would have lied or come up with some other excuses to why I wasn't playing other than saying "We don't want no part of that monster" or "I don't want to take a chance of getting anyone hurt before the playoffs." In just my own personal opinion I would have went about all of this a different way rather than basically openly admitting I was scared and didn't want to play...It's a contact sport for goodness sake!

Don't nothing good ever come out of talkin to newspaper reporters or lawyers.:thumb:

Dude wuz doin a story on the "Monster Bogey Man". He's gonna get the sound bites he needs for the story. Price could of told them we moved to 4a because that is where we will be in two years at full enrollment, but everbody would of still got on here and said the same things. bfd

Pretty sure Price and Rankin talked at least casually when Signal Mountain moved up. We wuz scrambling to rework our whole distrist schedule and still honor existing 2 year contracts. I know we talked to CAK, but nothin wuz worked out. Suspect we will be scheduling these teams in the coming years.

As for coaching philosophy, all teams is different. I ain't gonna second guess Coach Price. I do know our boys, though, and this don't make much difference to them. They are well trained, well conditioned, smart, and know what they are capable of, what their opponent is capable of, and what is expected of them. :ph34r:

This is a dead horse. I think some of these other 1A teams in the state that play muffin schedules should step up their schedule. S.P has stepped up their schedule. I dont believe they play any 1A teams except the ones in the district. I would like to play Alcoa, but not with the current schedule that S.P has. That schedule is plenty tough enough already.

I think SP should play up to 2a, and Alcoa should play up to 4a.:hungry:

:thumb:

Grider won't play Alcoa.

And your point is? What is it with your fixation with the Pirates playing a greater Knoxville area all-star team? Have the beat your team down in the past or something or has your team even been able to get far enough to meet them in the playoffs? :roflol: Lets face it, Alcoa needed to replace the QB from the past several state championship teams so they get one from Austin-East. Austin-East used to be a AA powerhouse. Frankly, if I were the coaches from some of those area schools, I'd be concerned about Rankin's program.

And your point is? What is it with your fixation with the Pirates playing a greater Knoxville area all-star team? Have the beat your team down in the past or something or has your team even been able to get far enough to meet them in the playoffs? :roflol: Lets face it, Alcoa needed to replace the QB from the past several state championship teams so they get one from Austin-East. Austin-East used to be a AA powerhouse. Frankly, if I were the coaches from some of those area schools, I'd be concerned about Rankin's program.

Don't be offended, it wasn't Alcoa bragging it was your coach saying he was scared to play Alcoa. Alcoa doesn't have to recruit. Kids and parents want to go to Alcoa.

Edited by extremefury

I don't understand why it's a big deal that either team declined. It means nothing. Sp has some good teams that can compete with anyone most of the time, but alcoa is out of our league. We have kids on the OL and DL that might be 5'10" 180 most years, that's like David and Goliath against alcoa. We have kids that can probably play with them, but WHY BOTHER! I can see signal playing them maybe not this year but definitely next year. They should be better at that point with even more kids to choose from for sports.

Has alcoa tried to play Baylor? (not Baylor north)