Football-Dist 9 (Sumner-Wilson) .....6A & 5A

rapidjohn

Squoshwave17, who are the multiple D1 prospects you are talking about? Not doubting, just wanted to make sure I know who to look for.

Tre Haynes on the offensive line and defensive line 6-4 360

Maurice Box projected as an athlete 6-2 225 plays runningback and linebacker

Not much love given by Murphy Fair.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OL and DL for Gallatin will be the biggest any team in 9AAA sees all year. SEVERAL 300+ pounders... Add to that the fact that Marc Williams (new OC) is a mastermind when it comes to the OL, and Gallatin's line will actually be one of their strong points. Also, keep in mind that Henry County has the same problem against our district as Gallatin has against the Williamson County district. Furthermore, Henry County has the same problem the Green Wave had when we were in playing against Metro Schools every year. The competition just isn't there against Clarksville schools; thus, Henry Co. usually isn't battle tested when playoff time rolls around. Ridgeway will be good, and may even go 10-0 in the regular season again. However, if that Hendersonville team from last year could beat them then I don't expect them to fare well against the elite teams from the mid-state. Gallatin will be good, I assure you. Multiple D-1 prospects on the field. The only games I could potentially see us losing would be Brentwood and Oakland. But with a scrimmage schedule of Blackman (Shadowens+Mathers = state title run), Smyrna (beat Hendersonville 8 scores to 0, and Pearl Cohn 5 scores to 0), and Riverdale (let's face it, they are Riverdale)... Gallatin will be well prepared for the season. Perhaps I'm just biased, but Gallatin will look much like the Green Wave of old on offense. I'm still not sold on the 4-2-5 defense though, but we'll see... I'm still saying that Gallatin plays Tullahoma in Cookeville this year. GGW

The Bears are looking forward to the wave visiting our house and making you eat crow on your statement about our wing-t suck offense and that our offense will be our demise.

Tre Haynes on the offensive line and defensive line 6-4 360

Maurice Box projected as an athlete 6-2 225 plays runningback and linebacker

Not much love given by Murphy Fair.

Wow, when you said "multiple" D-1's I guess I was expecting more than just 2.

Edited by tandem

Wow, when you said "multiple" D-1's I guess I was expecting more than just 2.

I didn't give the statement....I just answered the question. However given the fact that Gallatin rarely has legit D-1 talent, 2 on one team in one year is really something.

Tandem or any other Beech poster, I was shocked to see in Murphy Fair's book that Haymer isn't listed as playing college ball. Is that a misprint?

I didn't give the statement....I just answered the question. However given the fact that Gallatin rarely has legit D-1 talent, 2 on one team in one year is really something.

Tandem or any other Beech poster, I was shocked to see in Murphy Fair's book that Haymer isn't listed as playing college ball. Is that a misprint?

It is not a misprint.

I

@ greenwave1 to answer ref haymer and other players from gallatin, hville, MJ or beech not playing college ball is that you are not seeing what is in front of you only,.... no offense to haymer but I used to assist with looking for kids to play d1 ball and I covered Miami to Orlando and haymer looked like a peewee player compared to some of these Fl kids.again no disrespect to the kid as he is talanted but just think how many high schools are out there.

Let me explain this to you.............listen carefully.

First - even though Murphy Fair is the "guru of TN football"; he basically recites or regurgitates what coaches give him (very little of his prognosis is his own first-hand observation)..............so, the reason that a player is not mentioned is usually due to the COACH.

This oversight by the coach can one of several reasons

1.) Coach does not participate, and does not like to do the Murphy thing (*note many never return his questionaire.........some coaches do a great job in this area; many do not!)

2.) Perhaps the player is a very good player, but does and will not have grades to sign anywhere......if player is real good; he will be featured; in spite of the fact that no one will sign him!! Most coaches will do this.........but if he is not mentioned; go back to reason # 1

3.) Some coaches will "sandbag" on their talent..........think about it??

a.) A Bunch of prospects = you better win!! (or parents/fans/reporters will think less of your coaching)

b.) Few prospects/ average players (with great record) = GREAT COACH

Some coaches are great promoters of their players.........some are not! Have no idea where Coach Lassiter might fall........but if your could see the returned Gallatin questionaire........you could determine that!

While I am posting; I will also add. The Wave better not get to over confident about the MJ Bears and their "Wing-T offense sucks". The Bears are looking pretty strong, and you got to come to our house.

go bears

Just because you have D1 prospects on your team doesn't mean your team is going to be great. Smyrna lost to truly great coaching in Maryville last year when it was clear they had way more prospects. Mt.Juliet also has Josh Shelton, Caleb Chowbay,really talented junior class, and outstanding Oline. Hville also has an crazy good junior class, Hunter Brown and Andrew Edwards.

Talent doesn't mean win.. Coaching and talent does and to me Hville and Mj are the ones who have that combination this year. My son plays in Rutherford county and told me at a 7on7 they had last week Mt.Juliet beat them and Oakland. Both programs they beat are very talented. I will give Gallatin their props though by scrimmaging such good teams before season. The teams Gallatin will scrimmage are better then any of the teams they play this season.

First - even though Murphy Fair is the "guru of TN football"; he basically recites or regurgitates what coaches give him (very little of his prognosis is his own first-hand observation)..............so, the reason that a player is not mentioned is usually due to the COACH.

1.) Coach does not participate, and does not like to do the Murphy thing (*note many never return his questionaire.........some coaches do a great job in this area; many do not!)

2.) Perhaps the player is a very good player, but does and will not have grades to sign anywhere......if player is real good; he will be featured; in spite of the fact that no one will sign him!! Most coaches will do this.........but if he is not mentioned; go back to reason # 1

a.) A Bunch of prospects = you better win!! (or parents/fans/reporters will think less of your coaching)

Some coaches are great promoters of their players.........some are not! Have no idea where Coach Lassiter might fall........but if your could see the returned Gallatin questionaire........you could determine that!

While I am posting; I will also add. The Wave better not get to over confident about the MJ Bears and their "Wing-T offense sucks". The Bears are looking pretty strong, and you got to come to our house.

go bears

I think the wing T offense if run effectively is a very hard offense to defend against...well thats my 2 cents worth...I look forward to the trip to Mt Juliet this year...Great school with excellent facilities...Last time I was there i saw a great game...Mt Juliet 42...Gallatin 35...Maybe see a little bit of defense in this years game...lol..Maybe a little wishfull thinking but it sure would be nice to see both teams in Cookeville in december...

also blindrunner

you will get to see a wing offense the first game vs my "Kitties". We are running that "crude word" (I do not like that word) offense; Coach Dedman has gotten our former coach (Wes Elrod) to return, and put the offense back in. We have been very effective with this offense in the past; hopefully we will be hard for ya'll to defend. Most of you have been picking us very low in pre-season: We might surprise some folks!!

go dubc

Thats right we do got yall the first game...Close game last year...Remember your team played with alot of heart...If my memory is correct didnt Wes Elrod coach in metro for a number of years? Look forward to the visit to kitty land Aug 19th...Well good luck this year in 9 of your games...lol

I

@ greenwave1 to answer ref haymer and other players from gallatin, hville, MJ or beech not playing college ball is that you are not seeing what is in front of you only,.... no offense to haymer but I used to assist with looking for kids to play d1 ball and I covered Miami to Orlando and haymer looked like a peewee player compared to some of these Fl kids.again no disrespect to the kid as he is talanted but just think how many high schools are out there.

That is true. I just assumed that he might have signed with a small school somewhere. I never mentioned him as D1. But I did think he was good enough to play at the next level. I had not heard if he signed with someone or walked on somewhere that is why I was a little surprised when his name wasn't on the college list.

go bears

First I am fully aware of how the "guru per say" conducts his business with the questionaires. I used to meet him personally to get a copy in Carthage back when it was just a mid-state publication. My question was in reference to a former player who had graduated in Travis Haymer. I thought he might be playing at the next level and his name wasn't in the college list. That is all I was asking. I fully agree with all 3 of your points but I don't think in light of what I was asking it was necessary for your explanation but maybe it will help others.

I don't have any problem with how Lassiter fills out the questionaire. I have a pretty good idea who will be contributors out of the list and who won't based on what I see in practices and scrimmages. Also I fully realize that there are several key players that are not listed as well (sandbagging....possibly). Anyway it ain't my call. I am glad he takes the time to fill it out and return it.

Let me also add, I myself, did not use the term "Wing-T offense sucks". I know you are referring to what Squashwave had posted. I have given Perry credit for being a good coach with a large talent base to choose from. Everybody in Gallatin is fully aware that we have to go over there this year and we haven't won at the new school since the rivalry was renewed. It will be a hard task but not impossible. Gallatin hasn't looked too shabby in the offseason either. But on a personal note.....I hate the wing-t. I know there are multiple variations but I am just not a big fan of that offense. But good luck with it maybe y'all can be the first to run that offense and win the state at the highest classification cause it hasn't happened yet. So in the end.....Gallatin will be fully ready for your Bears....take that to the bank!!!!