Football-Dist 9 (Sumner-Wilson) .....6A & 5A

rapidjohn

Just because you have D1 prospects on your team doesn't mean your team is going to be great. Smyrna lost to truly great coaching in Maryville last year when it was clear they had way more prospects. Mt.Juliet also has Josh Shelton, Caleb Chowbay,really talented junior class, and outstanding Oline. Hville also has an crazy good junior class, Hunter Brown and Andrew Edwards.

Talent doesn't mean win.. Coaching and talent does and to me Hville and Mj are the ones who have that combination this year. My son plays in Rutherford county and told me at a 7on7 they had last week Mt.Juliet beat them and Oakland. Both programs they beat are very talented. I will give Gallatin their props though by scrimmaging such good teams before season. The teams Gallatin will scrimmage are better then any of the teams they play this season.

Same scrimmage schedule as last season. Not sure if Brentwood and Oakland would agree with your assessment on our schedule.

Hendersonville will struggle this year, face it they lost too much on the lines. Those 2 you mentioned had better be very good. I will take Gallatin's D1's and the other play makers over Hville. Mt Juliet will be a tougher game.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I

@ greenwave1 to answer ref haymer and other players from gallatin, hville, MJ or beech not playing college ball is that you are not seeing what is in front of you only,.... no offense to haymer but I used to assist with looking for kids to play d1 ball and I covered Miami to Orlando and haymer looked like a peewee player compared to some of these Fl kids.again no disrespect to the kid as he is talanted but just think how many high schools are out there.

I was told Haymer is going the juco route, so I assume grades are an issue. Don't know that for a fact, just guessing. My personal opinion (based on watching him play for several years and hearing from other coaches) Haymer could play D-1 even if he is not from FL.

I was told Haymer is going the juco route, so I assume grades are an issue. Don't know that for a fact, just guessing. My personal opinion (based on watching him play for several years and hearing from other coaches) Haymer could play D-1 even if he is not from FL.

@ tandem, he didn't even get any sniffs from D1 schools grades or not.like I said many are tainted and don't grasp the whole spectrum

I think the wing T offense if run effectively is a very hard offense to defend against...well thats my 2 cents worth...I look forward to the trip to Mt Juliet this year...Great school with excellent facilities...Last time I was there i saw a great game...Mt Juliet 42...Gallatin 35...Maybe see a little bit of defense in this years game...lol..Maybe a little wishfull thinking but it sure would be nice to see both teams in Cookeville in december...

Ahh yes, that game. I like to refer to that one as the "Reed Gurchiek Show". Without a player of his caliber, you guys will not be the same team. And yes, the wing-t DOES suck. Please tell me the last time a wing-t team won a State Championship at the higher levels of competition... It doesn't happen. Buck sweeps and all that motion are cute and glitzy, but it hasn't/won't win titles.

Ahh yes, that game. I like to refer to that one as the "Reed Gurchiek Show". Without a player of his caliber, you guys will not be the same team. And yes, the wing-t DOES suck. Please tell me the last time a wing-t team won a State Championship at the higher levels of competition... It doesn't happen. Buck sweeps and all that motion are cute and glitzy, but it hasn't/won't win titles.

Could I ask for a civil debate?

First, I know that a top level wing team has not won in TN..........that is a fact! but I do not think a particular offense has anything to do with it.........it is the players IMHO. (here is why)

Georgia plays a higher calibre brand of football than TN; the facts bear this out

more money in programs

more population

better hs facilities

more D1 prospects

Since 2003 in Georgia in 5A football (that is highest class) either Camden Co or Lowndes Co. has won the state football title. In 2006........neither won! Both those teams are wing teams that are winning the highest class in a state that is easily one of the top hs football states in the nation. So, what you are saying is if you run the wing offense in TN; you cannot win the highest class!! but in a state that plays pretty dang good HS football.........you can!

here is the link........check it out

GA Champs

There are some fans that get on coach T and say this constantly (they do not like the offense), but I hate to tell you; it is an urban legend. Camden Co. Ga and Lowndes Co. Ga are (2) very scary programs and there are a couple of others Grayson, Harrison that can play with anybody here in TN. I dare say if Maryville or Alcoa ran the wing.......they would still win just like they do now.

Beech won 5A with it a couple of years ago........but if they had been 6A (no chance??) Heck, the best team in state last year was a 3A team; so class is really irrelivant (sp)

You simply just do not like the offense........but that 6A thing in TN is simply an urban legend---------unless you can tell me that TN HS football is better than GA HS football........sorry but it is not even close.

go bear wing

Didn't Hendersonville beat you guys in the playoffs last year with the WingT... :lol:

If its not a good formation then why do HEAD COACHES put it in their offense such as Mt. Juliet, Riverdale, Beech, Hendersonville, and Portland. Portland isnt much now but they did when state with it. So please just stop, its a good formation. Even colleges are starting to use it more and more. Heck even the patriots ran a couple of plays out of it last year!!! You also have to factor in how many people use the wingT thats why you dont see it go to state as much as other offenses.

Didn't Hendersonville beat you guys in the playoffs last year with the WingT... :lol:

If its not a good formation then why do HEAD COACHES put it in their offense such as Mt. Juliet, Riverdale, Beech, Hendersonville, and Portland. Portland isnt much now but they did when state with it. So please just stop, its a good formation. Even colleges are starting to use it more and more. Heck even the patriots ran a couple of plays out of it last year!!! You also have to factor in how many people use the wingT thats why you dont see it go to state as much as other offenses.

Good point ! I personally think if an offense is ran to perfection dont matter what formation you run out of...I do know this it takes a very disaplined defense to stop the Wing T ...!

Could I ask for a civil debate?

First, I know that a top level wing team has not won in TN..........that is a fact! but I do not think a particular offense has anything to do with it.........it is the players IMHO. (here is why)

Georgia plays a higher calibre brand of football than TN; the facts bear this out

more money in programs

more population

better hs facilities

more D1 prospects

Since 2003 in Georgia in 5A football (that is highest class) either Camden Co or Lowndes Co. has won the state football title. In 2006........neither won! Both those teams are wing teams that are winning the highest class in a state that is easily one of the top hs football states in the nation. So, what you are saying is if you run the wing offense in TN; you cannot win the highest class!! but in a state that plays pretty dang good HS football.........you can!

here is the link........check it out

GA Champs

There are some fans that get on coach T and say this constantly (they do not like the offense), but I hate to tell you; it is an urban legend. Camden Co. Ga and Lowndes Co. Ga are (2) very scary programs and there are a couple of others Grayson, Harrison that can play with anybody here in TN. I dare say if Maryville or Alcoa ran the wing.......they would still win just like they do now.

Beech won 5A with it a couple of years ago........but if they had been 6A (no chance??) Heck, the best team in state last year was a 3A team; so class is really irrelivant (sp)

You simply just do not like the offense........but that 6A thing in TN is simply an urban legend---------unless you can tell me that TN HS football is better than GA HS football........sorry but it is not even close.

go bear wing

No civil debate. In Tennessee at the highest level of competition a wing-t team has never won a state title. That is just a fact. When one wins it, it will cease to be a point. I could care less what state or what team wins it anywhere else. I live here and it hasn't happened here....yet!!! A former coach from Beech couldn't sniff a state title here in Tennessee running it yet he goes to Georgia and becomes a powerhouse running it at Dublin. No urban legend....until it happens here it is very relevant!

Yeah and Gallatin also beat Hendersonville the week before that.....and??

The wing-t is the second most popular offense in the state behind the spread, so it is used quite a bit. If used correctly it can be very effective. Hendersonville uses a fullback lead, Beech use to use a halfback based wing-t, and Wilson Central under Alexander used a motion wing-t, and McGavock used a shotgun wing-t. Lots of different variations, all can be very hard to stop. But a disciplined defense that stays at home can have a lot of success against it. I remember when Joslin was the defensive coordinator at Gallatin he would blitz a back every play and disrupt the timing. Sometimes he would get burned but also he would get a lot of negative yardage. Still I am not a fan of it.

No civil debate. In Tennessee at the highest level of competition a wing-t team has never won a state title. That is just a fact. When one wins it, it will cease to be a point. I could care less what state or what team wins it anywhere else. I live here and it hasn't happened here....yet!!! A former coach from Beech couldn't sniff a state title here in Tennessee running it yet he goes to Georgia and becomes a powerhouse running it at Dublin. No urban legend....until it happens here it is very relevant!

thanks for your response............now I understand!

"Never argue with an idiot; he will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience". Sorry that I asked for a civil debate; you whipped me with your experience. My mistake :ph34r:

This year it's the Chowbay, Garza, Hopkins, and McCathern show. Chowbay has an arm. Garza has speed and power. Hopkins is lightning quick, and McCathern is a bruiser. O-Line is not the biggest but is solid. You are right we will not be the same team. This team is LOADED on offense. The only sucking coming out of the MJ VS GHS matchup will be the D of GHS "sucking air" from attempting to stop the 3 headed monster of Garza, Hopkins, and McCathern.