Smith Co. travels to Gordonsville

croz6110

Like G-ville, SC is more of a" football school". Baxter is baseball, basketball school. When Maynord was there, the support wasn't and still isn't. There's sports "pecking orders" at most all 3A and smaller schools. Jackson Co., TC, Baxter, RBS, DC, you can name the sport that gets the support at these schools pretty easy.

You would think Maynord taking them to the semi's in 96 would've changed things a little.

To be honest, I don't think Jimmy Maynord by himself is the difference.

And, I've talked to some SC people about this. The difference is the staff as a whole.

Maynord was at Upperman and only had one standout year in 96, other than that, it was less than stellar.

The talent pool is a little different, but he had some talented players there.

In Carthage, he has support from the community, fans, and parents, and a good staff. That makes the difference.

No, Jimmy Maynord isn't the difference by himself, SC is a special place, period!

I couldn't imagine their being a better staff from top to bottom in the state. Maybe I am too close to the program and my opinion is biased.

Only had one standout year? He was there 4 years, they went to the playoffs 4 straight years. They had never been to the playoffs in school history Croz and if I am not mistaken they have been one time since (I think they beat Cannon County and Jackson County both in 2006 and got in.) That obviously doesn't sound like much to tradition rich programs like SC and Gordonsville but they won 1 game in the 3 years prior to him taking the job. Not trying to brag on uncle or anything but rather trying to put your post into perspective.

30 kids go out for the team at UHS. 90 kids play football for the Owls. Relatively same size attendance if I'm not mistaken. And your right, the support in the community is not only better than that of Baxter, but also every other town that I have ever been familiar with. Again, it's a special place and I can tell you now that Smith County has been better to Jimmy Maynord than he ever will be to Smith County.

Go Owls!

Edited by I Love HS Football

No, Jimmy Maynord isn't the difference by himself, SC is a special place, period!

I couldn't imagine their being a better staff from top to bottom in the state. Maybe I am too close to the program and my opinion is biased.

Only had one standout year? He was there 4 years, they went to the playoffs 4 straight years. They had never been to the playoffs in school history Croz and if I am not mistaken they have been one time since (I think they beat Cannon County and Jackson County both in 2006 and got in.) That obviously doesn't sound like much to tradition rich programs like SC and Gordonsville but they won 1 game in the 3 years prior to him taking the job. Not trying to brag on uncle or anything but rather trying to put your post into perspective.

30 kids go out for the team at UHS. 90 kids play football for the Owls. Relatively same size attendance if I'm not mistaken. And your right, the support in the community is not only better than that of Baxter, but also every other town that I have ever been familiar with. Again, it's a special place and I can tell you now that Smith County has been better to Jimmy Maynord than he ever will be to Smith County.

Go Owls!

I know you're more familiar with Baxter than I am. The semi-final year stands out, but to me, just making the playoffs isn't a whole lot speak of since it's watered down like it is. But I guess it means something if you haven't been.

But, before Maynord, I don't recall 90 kids going out for football