Union City (0-2) @ Halls (2-0)

If Halls decides to pass the ball this game, I'll take Halls. However, if it comes down to a ground v. ground attack, I'll go with UC. I think this game will be decided by less than a TD.

Halls QB can definately sling the ball around the field. I don't understand why they got rid of the "Tony Franklin System" this year and went to a double wing set. They do have a huge line, but they also have a dual threat QB and speedy WR's. Halls is a much better passing team than they are a run team this year. In the Gibson/Halls game, we had no trouble stopping the run. It was the deep pass that beat us.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Halls decides to pass the ball this game, I'll take Halls. However, if it comes down to a ground v. ground attack, I'll go with UC. I think this game will be decided by less than a TD.

Halls QB can definately sling the ball around the field. I don't understand why they got rid of the "Tony Franklin System" this year and went to a double wing set. They do have a huge line, but they also have a dual threat QB and speedy WR's. Halls is a much better passing team than they are a run team this year. In the Gibson/Halls game, we had no trouble stopping the run. It was the deep pass that beat us.

If Halls throws the ball that well, Union City will be beat. Union City doesn't have a line...they don't. They have skilled players but the line has to block. The skilled players are basically on their own. This game believe it or not really makes me nervous. That is hard to say going into a game like Halls. On the other hand...we have played the toughest schedule for a school our size and for what we have been through. It will be nice to see what we can do against someone our own size. Come on Purple and Gold....Get this first win and start a new season. Keep your heads up going into the game.

Edited by UCGRAD

If Halls throws the ball that well, Union City will be beat. Union City doesn't have a line...they don't. They have skilled players but the line has to block. The skilled players are basically on their own. This game believe it or not really makes me nervous. That is hard to say going into a game like Halls. On the other hand...we have played the toughest schedule for a school our size and for what we have been through. It will be nice to see what we can do against someone our own size. Come on Purple and Gold....Get this first win and start a new season. Keep your heads up going into the game.

I don't understand what you mean by playing someone your own size.

Let me ask you Union County people a question. What in the world is going on out their? I thought this Hyde boy was going to be unstoppable. I was reading in my Murphy Fair book and Murphy picked Union County to finish 4th in his district pole. Union County got the mess beat out of them by Wayne County last week. I garuntee you that Wayne County was still mad at Union County after that fight that happened a few years ago. You think im joking but im not.

I mean, what part of WC is bigger than UC?

I mean point well taken, UC school is about the same size as WC being in the same single A classification. It doesn't matter who we are playing, whether they are Single A or the UT Vols, you go out there and give it your best effort by every player on every play. I know that the coaches coach it that way. We just need our players to play that way.

Oh, by the way, ya'll are a pretty good team and enjoyed watching ya'll play. Good sportsmanship from both teams from what I saw.

I mean point well taken, UC school is about the same size as WC being in the same single A classification. It doesn't matter who we are playing, whether they are Single A or the UT Vols, you go out there and give it your best effort by every player on every play. I know that the coaches coach it that way. We just need our players to play that way.

Oh, by the way, ya'll are a pretty good team and enjoyed watching ya'll play. Good sportsmanship from both teams from what I saw.

We enjoyed the chance to finally see yalls field and it is awesome, and dont count your boys out just yet because I think WC is going to be a handfull to anybody that steps on the field with them this year, the veer is really coming together. And yes it was good sportsmanship between both fans and players from what I could tell, good luck to yall the rest of the year.

What would a SF QB quitting SF have anything in the world to do with the outcome of the UC-Halls game ??...

For clarity...SF has had two players transfer to Union City the last two seasons...Both Lewis and Strickland are still on the team....

SF had a kid (T.Johnson, I believe) quit the SF team last week...He had been a reserve until an injury forced him into action vs Bruceton...He was not SF's QB...

I was making a joke.Meant to say if a South Fulton player did quit and if it was the quarterback and if he moved to Union city,then Union city would win.

Edited by mrbigster

I'm excited that we actually have a "chance" this week instead of preparing for the usual beating. I looked up past scores last night and saw the following margins of victory by UC in the last 10 games of this series: 24, 21, 50, 57, 64, 56, 47, 55, 35 and 29. Needless to say the last two years have been much closer than the usual 50+ point losses. Those are hard to swallow.

Last week was the most fun I've had following Halls in quite a few years. It was the most points we've scored in probably 15 years and there's nothing like being on the winning end of a 36-point blowout. Those don't come our way too often.

I think Halls has a "chance" if we can just overlook that mystique of Union City. Sometimes I think the guys look at the schedule and think, "oh crap it is XXXXXX this week." We have to start learning to win sometime. This is the third straight year for us to start 2-0. Sure, we aren't playing Obion or Wayne County, but you have to start somewhere. The last two years we haven't fallen through with those starts; instead we've seen 4-6 and 2-8 to end the year. 3-0 sounds pretty nice and would start to give these guys the confidence they need to get over the hump. We are still a very young team playing lots of juniors and sophomores, so starting to win now bodes well for the next few years.

We ran for over 400 yards last week against Rosemark. We only passed five times, but why pass when you can run all over the other team? We have the capability to throw the ball and I would be surprised if we don't "attempt" to throw it 30 times this week. We have a couple big receivers with pretty good hands and as GCPioneer stated our quarterback has a good arm but he too is still young.

The keys to this game will be 1) can we protect the quarterback, 2) can we stop UC's run game and 3) from what I'm hearing on the UC side can the Tornados stop our pass game which I guess relates back to #1. Gibson County ran for over 200 yards on us in week 0 and probably sacked our QB 3 or 4 times.

Winning is hereditary. When you are use to losing, you will lose. When you are use to winning, you have that edge the other team doesn't have but also fears. You can have all the talent in the world, but if you don't know how to win, then....

I think this week we find out alot about both teams: both are hungry and are out to prove something in two completely different fashions. Man, I sure hope the Tigers can get over this hump!

Edited by tigertiger

I'm excited that we actually have a "chance" this week instead of preparing for the usual beating. I looked up past scores last night and saw the following margins of victory by UC in the last 10 games of this series: 24, 21, 50, 57, 64, 56, 47, 55, 35 and 29. Needless to say the last two years have been much closer than the usual 50+ point losses. Those are hard to swallow.

Last week was the most fun I've had following Halls in quite a few years. It was the most points we've scored in probably 15 years and there's nothing like being on the winning end of a 36-point blowout. Those don't come our way too often.

I think Halls has a "chance" if we can just overlook that mystique of Union City. Sometimes I think the guys look at the schedule and think, "oh crap it is XXXXXX this week." We have to start learning to win sometime. This is the third straight year for us to start 2-0. Sure, we aren't playing Obion or Wayne County, but you have to start somewhere. The last two years we haven't fallen through with those starts; instead we've seen 4-6 and 2-8 to end the year. 3-0 sounds pretty nice and would start to give these guys the confidence they need to get over the hump. We are still a very young team playing lots of juniors and sophomores, so starting to win now bodes well for the next few years.

We ran for over 400 yards last week against Rosemark. We only passed five times, but why pass when you can run all over the other team? We have the capability to throw the ball and I would be surprised if we don't "attempt" to throw it 30 times this week. We have a couple big receivers with pretty good hands and as GCPioneer stated our quarterback has a good arm but he too is still young.

The keys to this game will be 1) can we protect the quarterback, 2) can we stop UC's run game and 3) from what I'm hearing on the UC side can the Tornados stop our pass game which I guess relates back to #1. Gibson County ran for over 200 yards on us in week 0 and probably sacked our QB 3 or 4 times.

Winning is hereditary. When you are use to losing, you will lose. When you are use to winning, you have that edge the other team doesn't have but also fears. You can have all the talent in the world, but if you don't know how to win, then....

I think this week we find out alot about both teams: both are hungry and are out to prove something in two completely different fashions. Man, I sure hope the Tigers can get over this hump!

Hope Halls does get over the hump this week.I work with so many of the Halls people .A lot of the Patrick's and also with Beverly,the Henning young man's mom.I know he played for the first time last week.Some people are saying if you're going to beat U.C. maybe need to do it this year.At least that is what a lot of the Union City people are saying.I personally think Union City will start going downhill the next few seasons and will be kinda like Greenfield fan says..be one of the so called traditional true Single A teams.I believe eventually South Fulton will be the team in Single A in Obion Co.And with money being a problem in a lot of places,saw some of the Obion Co commissioners talk about not spending on a lot of projects.Think they wish they hadn't went in on the Port at Lake Co.Could see Union City becoming part of Central or South Fulton down the road.If not,Union city won't be the monster they have been in past years.Just my opinion.Will be like Lake Co.,Greenfield,Gleason,Halls.Be strong a couple years and maybe not as strong in some others.

Edited by mrbigster

Hope Halls does get over the hump this week.I work with so many of the Halls people .A lot of the Patrick's and also with Beverly,the Henning young man's mom.I know he played for the first time last week.Some people are saying if you're going to beat U.C. maybe need to do it this year.At least that is what a lot of the Union City people are saying.I personally think Union City will start going downhill the next few seasons and will be kinda like Greenfield fan says..be one of the so called traditional true Single A teams.I believe eventually South Fulton will be the team in Single A in Obion Co.And with money being a problem in a lot of places,saw some of the Obion Co commissioners talk about not spending on a lot of projects.Think they wish they hadn't went in on the Port at Lake Co.Could see Union City becoming part of Central or South Fulton down the road.If not,Union city won't be the monster they have been in past years.Just my opinion.Will be like Lake Co.,Greenfield,Gleason,Halls.Be strong a couple years and maybe not as strong in some others.

Union City's drop-off can be attributed to two straight very small senior classes...When you have the small numbers UC has now it's hard to overcome that with freshmen and sophs...I don't see the reasoning about SF because they are having the same problem...They are having excellent junior high teams but they don't play as freshmen...No carry over....

Union City will be fine...Will they ever be what they were from say 97-2000 ??...I doubt it...

One thing for a point of reference...Don't listen to ANYTHING Greenfieldfan has to say about Union City...That's just like listening to Keith Olbermann say something about Sarah Palin....It's all based on basically an almost psychotic bias...Not joking.... :thumb: