2011-2012 District 4a

eaglefan2012

Coalfield may not have much, but to say all they have is Foster? You must have not seen the Hamby girl play. I know her very well, and I can promise you that she gives 110% every play, and is a good ball player. Rumors early on had her transferring to Wartburg this year, if that had happened, Wartburg would be a solid district favorite and headed to at least sub-state.

LOL. The rumors I heard had her in Oakdale. She can flat-out shoot.

LOL. The rumors I heard had her in Oakdale. She can flat-out shoot.

LOL, That doesn't surprise me, I think she was "looking". Again, if she had went to EITHER Oakdale OR Wartburg, either team would have been state bound IMO. Sad to see talent like she has not even make it out of district. I saw last night that Coalfield only has 7 players! What's up with that? I know they have more ball players than that at Coalfield, just look at their softball team....Coalfield could be right there in the thick of things if they could get some of the softball players to join in. But again that's just my opinion.

She should have transferred to one of those schools, kudos for loyalty, but can't say staying at Coalfield was a smart decision by no means! lol

Both Wartburg teams won against Coalfield tonight, boys and girls, anybody else have any news? The Oneida/Oz game should have been a good one.

OZ girls won 61 to 51 I believe. Very tough ball game, probably one of the roughest I have ever seen. Within the first quarter OZ had two or three kids in foul trouble and had to play without them for the rest of the half...Oneida had a 9 point lead to start the second quarter but OZ either tied it up or were down by 1 at halftime. They were neck and neck in the third quarter with OZ getting several steals and #20 for Oneida getting a couple three point shots. The 3rd ended with Oz up by a point or two. The fourth was just Oz pulling away...Oneida got a couple of buckets, but nothing to narrow down the lead much. Oneida sent #12 for OZ to the free throw line in the fourth quarter 4/5 times and she didn't miss much, so that didn't help them much either.

One thing I can definitely say after seeing that game, Oneida can shoot free throws...they might have missed 4 or 5 all night.

From seeing that game the spot for #1 in the district is going to be a toss up. I say no one goes undefeated this season.

And as far as Hamby goes, I heard she was wanting to transfer to OS with her mom saying no. Either way, she's a good player definitely the best Coalfield has.

Oz is going to be in the running for the Dist. title for sure. From what I have seen Oz,Oneida,Wartburg, or Oakdale could win it. I think any of the 4 could beat the other 3 on a given nite. As for Oz and Oneida last nite, Oneida went away from what they have done all year (only playing 6 girls) and tried to play 9. That really messed with their flow. But, Oz really brought their game to Oneida and took away the things that Oneida likes to do. Congrats to Players and Coaches from Oz, you came to town and kicked our butt. Oz found something that worked in the half court trapped and Oneida never quite figured it out. Oneida needed to win that one because it will be a lot tougher to win the rematch on Oz's floor. One thing about this year in Dist. 4 is there will be some big wins and some heartbreaking losses for everyone before its over.

OZ girls won 61 to 51 I believe. Very tough ball game, probably one of the roughest I have ever seen. Within the first quarter OZ had two or three kids in foul trouble and had to play without them for the rest of the half...Oneida had a 9 point lead to start the second quarter but OZ either tied it up or were down by 1 at halftime. They were neck and neck in the third quarter with OZ getting several steals and #20 for Oneida getting a couple three point shots. The 3rd ended with Oz up by a point or two. The fourth was just Oz pulling away...Oneida got a couple of buckets, but nothing to narrow down the lead much. Oneida sent #12 for OZ to the free throw line in the fourth quarter 4/5 times and she didn't miss much, so that didn't help them much either.

One thing I can definitely say after seeing that game, Oneida can shoot free throws...they might have missed 4 or 5 all night.

From seeing that game the spot for #1 in the district is going to be a toss up. I say no one goes undefeated this season.

And as far as Hamby goes, I heard she was wanting to transfer to OS with her mom saying no. Either way, she's a good player definitely the best Coalfield has.

Thanks for the recap, and congrats to the Oz girls, I actually would have picked Oneida to win that game at home, and Oz to get a split on their home court. The Oz girls have a really good chance of getting a sweep! Oz is one of the hardest gyms to play in because of the student section.

I also agree with you and 81booger, this district is wide open.

• Upvote 1

LOL, That doesn't surprise me, I think she was "looking". Again, if she had went to EITHER Oakdale OR Wartburg, either team would have been state bound IMO. Sad to see talent like she has not even make it out of district. I saw last night that Coalfield only has 7 players! What's up with that? I know they have more ball players than that at Coalfield, just look at their softball team....Coalfield could be right there in the thick of things if they could get some of the softball players to join in. But again that's just my opinion.

She should have transferred to one of those schools, kudos for loyalty, but can't say staying at Coalfield was a smart decision by no means! lol

These girls have two things working against them. Youth, and lack of depth. Foster and Hamby are cousins. They complement each other on the floor. The younger players have some raw talent that will develop. It is difficult with only 7 players and talent sitting in the bleachers. The "rumors" of a transfer were just that rumors. However, it the team failed to get enough to play who could blame a kid that likes the game as much as Samantha for "looking" for someplace to play? Glad she's there at home where she belongs; and yes she is loyal.....that speaks volumes when it comes to character. All seven of these girls have guts, they show them every game. Play hard!!!

Good luck....

Edited by CYJacket
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rumors or not, her being at home is her decision to stay there,I agree about her character, she seems to be a great kid, but as far as helping her get to college I can't say that staying was very smart, Wartburg/OZ/Oakdale would give her more of a chance to do something college wise,I don't see her high school at coalfield helping her much playing beyond high school. Although I think the coach is running great stuff and is motivating "7" players to compete night in and out,but yes they have guts but that alone will not get you into winning column often, post season, to state tourney, or to college, guts are very honorable and admirable, about it though. If she ends up not going to college any where in 10 years will ppl say"well she had guts for staying" thats how you have to look at things, sometimes the best choices aren't the easiest to make, making a choice for herself to better is a tough choice for any body

I thought coalfield played really well and thought that we had really gained ground on Wartburg. When I got home my wife said you know we played as well as we could and Wartburg probably played as badly as they could and still couldn't beat them. Wartburg closed the game on a 14-2 run.

Having said that thrilla n vanilla has no clue. Guts are a great trait and should never be overlooked. That young lady is just another in a long line of Coalfield Greats. Granted many of our best athletes don't go to college, but you can't deny they are great high school athletes, this is the best time of the young lady's life. Her uncles were among the best athletes I've ever seen around here and they still get respect because they were high school stars!

Well, granted respect as star high school athletes is good, but outside of Coalfield Tn/Morgan county where is it then? or where does it matter?. Why wouldnt you want to go and better yourself and use your talents( that have obviously been worked and sought after by her hard work and dedication) in college? Do you think that girl is just ok with being a high school great and not going to play any college? I really hope that ain't the case, if so that's disappointing that Coalfield does not do more to encourage their student athletes to want to achieve more!!!!Their is life outside of the high school era!!!!!

How many really great players are there on a 3-9 team? Coalfield is 3 and 9! If you put jordan out there with 4 eighth graders they would be at worst a .500 ball club. This years Coalfield team isn't very good! I don't know who you are talking about, but I haven't seen anyone on that team that's D1 material. This season at Coalfield isn't on the coach either that lady has been to 2 state tournaments and won many games!

Oneida by at least 20 points when they play

Edited by Indianoutlaw

I heard two of district bigger teams had kids who got hurt? any truth? OZ beat wartburg, but at OS no team gets fair shake over there. terrible environment and really not a good sports environment, just like to heckle athletes/players and try to use disgraceful style of playing dirty to teams, I am an Anderson County native so I remember how bad it was to play there!