Public school coaches told not to pray

pioneer95

Benjamin Franklin is quoted as saying "lighthouses are more helpful than churches." Reality is that most of the founding fathers and presidents were deists, not Christians.

On top of that didn't "yall's" jesus tell all you religious extremists something along the lines of...

"But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

Quite the opposite of being told to violate the law of the land by making a spectacle of religion at Friday night PUBLIC school ballgames. Church schools can certainly do as they like at their home games - handle snakes, speak in tongues or whatever they feel like. More of you should look into aligning with those.

Jesus of Nazareth was a real man. He died upon a cross. That was the death penalty of the time period. A crucifixion wasn't something new. Then why does His death bother so many people. If there is nothing to it, then why do you fight it so much? You are free to believe and worship or not to believe and not to worship in whatever way you like. Why is no one offended with any other belief? All belief and non-belief systems encourage breaking the law of the land. Where does that law of the land come from? There has to be a right and a wrong. If there is no wrong then there is no right. Therefore if you believe that then there is nothing wrong with PUBLIC school prayer. If praying at a ballgame forces Christianity on you, then watching a beer commercial forces Alcholism on you. People smoking forces cigarettes on you. Watching the news forces you to murder, steal, cheat, and lie. There has to be a right to be a wrong and vice versa. You have decided you are right and now force your right and wrong on others and consider it freedom. When some one expresses their freedom, and what they view as right and wrong, you call that intolerance and hate and oppression of your freedom. Why is it wrong to murder? Who made that decision? A faith put in Christ is not forced. It's a personal decision. You can't make someone love you, and if you could it wouldn't be love. It's a personal relationship. It's not based on any RELIGION. RELIGION has been the cause of many an error. If you remember it was the RELIGIOUS leaders in Jesus day that had Him crucified. RELIGION is the biggest cause of ATHEISM in the world. It has nothing to do with RELIGION. It is a personal relationship that is desired. Point being it is ok for you to choose what you will, but it is also ok for others to choose what they will. No one will ever be truly victorious in this matter. Oh you may silent those you disagree with, but that is when the destruction will begin. Silence will be a small victory one in an overall loss. We are all on the same field wheter anyone wants to admit it or not. We are all the same. None are better than any other. God is not willing that any should perish, but all should have everlasting life.

There is more proof that global warming exists than any proof of some sort of giant invisible cosmic boogie-man floating around up in the sky somewhere demanding to be prayed to at Friday night football games.

You people are (as they say in the South)..."a real hoot!"

You are wrong on all counts,my ignorant friend.Keep in mind that "ignorant" doesn't mean stupid,just unlearned.The fact is that "my" God does not demand anything of you(or me),people of the christian faith believe of their own accord that the way has been provided ie;"ask and ye shall recieve" much as table would be set for you and you'd be invited to eat if you wished.As for proof,well a lot of accredited scientists have converted from Darwinisim to "intelligent design",which in theory states that the diversity of matter(and especially life forms)known to exist could not have sprang forth from a single organism,yet were "designed"by a higher being.I'd suggest that you read the bible(at worst it's a good story),like so many before you in an attempt to prove to us cretins how bogus the writings are,and maybe you'll follow suit like so many others and accept his gift.If you are one of those so dead set against religion in public,who are you to force atheasim upon others?If you choose to pray to a donkey in my presence,I do not have to believe in the donkey,nor follow suit and pray with you.If my prayers do not belittle you or otherwise infringe upon your well being,why are you offended to the point of taking action to stop me?

Benjamin Franklin is quoted as saying "lighthouses are more helpful than churches." Reality is that most of the founding fathers and presidents were deists, not Christians.

On top of that didn't "yall's" jesus tell all you religious extremists something along the lines of...

"But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

Quite the opposite of being told to violate the law of the land by making a spectacle of religion at Friday night PUBLIC school ballgames. Church schools can certainly do as they like at their home games - handle snakes, speak in tongues or whatever they feel like. More of you should look into aligning with those.

The law of the land i.e. the 1st amendment is being infringed upon by denying religion. No one is making you pray. However, you are willing to stop others by force, or hide behind Big Brother's storm troopers.

Let's clear a few 'facts' up for you:

1. Not all nations use OUR calender.

2. It is not based on the DEATH of CHRIST. AD DOES NOT MEAN 'After Death' it means: Anno Domini "In the year of our Lord" and it is measured from the assumed date of his birth which historians now believe is about 2.7 years off.

3. Yes, the 1st Amendment to the constitution does give all Americans the right to practice their religious freedoms but the Supreme Court has upheld the separation clause (first part of the first amendment) to prohibit teachers and government employees from forcing their religious views and dogma on students. I once had a Jewish teacher who tried to tell us that Jesus was not the son of God. Under the law, he should not have done this but no one stopped him. As a Christian, I can understand why our founding fathers included this amendment.

4. As an assistant football coach, I stand behind the student-led prayer after every football game. I see no problem with it whatsoever; however, if my administration tells me not to do it I can't afford to lose my job to make a point. Protesting this ban is one thing but no one should lose their job to make a point. Coaches have families and in this tough economy they should not risk their jobs to make a point.

Just my humble opinion.

Your forth point first,if you stand behind student-led prayer but don't have the conviction to at least lobby the administration for the right to pray,how do you think Washington,Jefferson,Adams,Hancock...whom were all prominent buisnessmen and landowners felt about losing their livelyhoods?If they had your sense of duty the "pledge of allegiance" would be long live the Queen!Your third point is worded backward.No article "GIVES THE RIGHT".You are born with these rights,which are guaranteed not to be infringed by the Constitution.My religious freedoms are being infringed by the rulings of the courts in the name of the very document created to secure these rights transcend time and political views.I'll address one and two together.The words you typed to contradict my statements validated them as well.The term"In the year of Our Lord" was used to contridict the A.D. reference.???How does that remove Christs infleuence???Can you then explain away B.C.?Christ lived.Christ died.The time before him is B.C.,after is A.D. period.The entire recognised measurement of time passage for the universe to my knowledge is based upon the life and death of Jesus.To argue against this fact is the purest example of being just for the sake of arguement known to man.

The phrase "separation of church and state" (sometimes "wall of separation between church and state"), attributed to Thomas Jefferson and others, and since quoted by the Supreme Court of the United States, expresses an understanding of the intent and function of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States. That doesn't seem too far fetched for even poorly educated hillbilly sports fans to understand. Certainly if they cling so strongly to belief in a giant invisible cosmic boogie-man floating around up in the sky somewhere demanding to be prayed to at ballgames on a Friday night, then the concept of church/state separation should be a piece of cake. Not sure why they struggle so much with it.

Where exactly in the constitution does it state that anyone does not have the right to bow their head in prayer if they so choose - even when it is student lead????? All this seems kinda odd since the founders of this nation seemed to lean very heavily on there faith in your proverbial "cosmic boogie-man" - over 20 of the signers of our Declaration of Independence were ordained ministers. Another case of "forcing the 'science' to fit the theory" syndrome......

I will say this, we are under attack from all sides on many issues, it is and will be an epic struggle. The BILL of RIGHTS is clear and unchangeable,the Founding Fathers would not ratify the Constitution without it and its absoluteness. Right now these would be dictators on the school boards and admins etc, across the country are merely using intimidation and rhetoric to keep people from exercising their RIGHTS. All we need do is simply ignore them, because they work for us and are of no consequence and the only power they have is what we allow them to have. We out number them tremendously and together we prevail. I suggest to those out there who sick and tired of being sick and tired , to go out there and organize to perform your civic duties, run for office , un-elect these little commie's and take it back... do it for your kids. When these people decide that they want to use force against you to limit or stop you from exercising your rights it will be because you have made no stand early on when it was easy and when this comes there will be no turning back. jmo Don't Tread on Me.

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking on coacht to see if there was anything on here about Roane Co.principle making a comment on the PA system at a game and come across this thread. Here is a question I had for those who were against praying before and after a game/practice. Why would you be mad at someone for asking God (or anyone for that matter) to look after your children and keep them safe while they play in a full contact sport in which people get hurt everyday. Where im from (Livingston Academy) something like this did happen a couple years ago, it went to court and we still have prayer with our coaches included.Oh and by the way Its usually the mayor of the town who says the prayer at the start of the game, his son plays.why Heck we even have prayer at the end of the game with our most fierce rivals up the mountain. Its the only time you'll see those two come together and agreee on anything, My nephew is a Sr at the school this year and played up to week 4 when he tore his ACL. He had surgery on it yesterday to have it repaired. One of the first people to call before he even got out of surgery was his head coach. One of the things that coach told them was that he and the team had been praying for him the last few days and yesterday for a quick recovery, and if they needed anything just to pick up a phone and call. I have more respect for that man than anyone over there at that school and this is why. A coach can be and should be one of the most influencial people in a players life. I think that if a team wants to pray the coach should be able to pray with them and even lead if the team so chooses. Thats just my two cents!

• Upvote 1

I was looking on coacht to see if there was anything on here about Roane Co.principle making a comment on the PA system at a game and come across this thread. Here is a question I had for those who were against praying before and after a game/practice. Why would you be mad at someone for asking God (or anyone for that matter) to look after your children and keep them safe while they play in a full contact sport in which people get hurt everyday. Where im from (Livingston Academy) something like this did happen a couple years ago, it went to court and we still have prayer with our coaches included.Oh and by the way Its usually the mayor of the town who says the prayer at the start of the game, his son plays.why Heck we even have prayer at the end of the game with our most fierce rivals up the mountain. Its the only time you'll see those two come together and agreee on anything, My nephew is a Sr at the school this year and played up to week 4 when he tore his ACL. He had surgery on it yesterday to have it repaired. One of the first people to call before he even got out of surgery was his head coach. One of the things that coach told them was that he and the team had been praying for him the last few days and yesterday for a quick recovery, and if they needed anything just to pick up a phone and call. I have more respect for that man than anyone over there at that school and this is why. A coach can be and should be one of the most influencial people in a players life. I think that if a team wants to pray the coach should be able to pray with them and even lead if the team so chooses. Thats just my two cents!

Great post...I agree totally! What did the Roane County principle say over the PA?