TSSAA visits Signal Mtn

Rabble Rouser

The question isnt if he is bussed up the mountain but if he actually lives where the buss picks him up or within that territory. Anyone can ride to howard then catch the bus up the mtn. No one has actually said where this kid lives other than not on the Mtn so this raises suspicion to me. With that being said, I do hope it all works out.

Thanks, GDF; I missed that one. I guess it does get back to the NCLB issue. Looks like it falls upon the local school board to define the "geographic boundaries" of a school under NCLB. About as clear as mud.

Again, T$$AA knew the circumstances of his transfer and ruled him eligible to play. How can they reverse that decision now?:wacko:

I feel your pain, Troll. And trust me, they can...

If my memory has not completely deserted me, a few years ago in the BA case did the Supreme Court hold for the TSSAA on the basis that participation in high school athletics is a privilege not a right and that the TSSAA holds the majority of the cards? In the ever-changing education landscape, NCLB does lead to the academic pairing of failing schools, but that may not apply to the athletic pairings as well.

It will be interesting to see how the TSSAA rules on this one. I find it interesting that they sent 2 reps on a personal visit and not just handle it by paper or phone.

Kiplings "If", some of the best words ever put down on paper. But this may be a situation where they get to start again at their beginnings.

They should have made sure the kid had an uncle that lived in the area..right Barb :roflol::roflol:

If you are referring to Willie Carmichael, he lived with his cousin moved to Greeneville with him. And he had to sit out part of basketball season his jr year in order to comply wit the TSSAA transfer rule.(yes he transferred to Greeneville midway through his jr year and participated in both basketball and baseball as a jr)Greeneville has had open enrollment for many, many years and takes the TSSAA tranfer rules very seriously.

The question isnt if he is bussed up the mountain but if he actually lives where the buss picks him up or within that territory. Anyone can ride to howard then catch the bus up the mtn. No one has actually said where this kid lives other than not on the Mtn so this raises suspicion to me. With that being said, I do hope it all works out.

The bus picks all the kids up at Howard, that's how it works. Hamilton County determines if they are approved or not. Are you really looking for someone to give you his street address?

Don't worry, it'll all work out. Price will tell the T$$AA what to do just as he told McCullough what to do after the pre-season "scuffle" on the hill.

Oh really? You'll be singing a different tune after SM's overall record reads "1-1" next week. The Polk County game from tonight will count as a win. The Blackman game will read as a loss. The others? They'll cease to exist on SM's record (too bad the opponents can't erase those losses).

Milan had an incident like this 4 or 5 years ago and TSSAA approved this kid. But come to find out he wasn't living were the parents said he did and TSSAA investigated and found that to be true and took several wins away from Milan...Maybe some people from Milan could shed more light on this because i don't know all the details.

We will be completely exonerated and then we will post the handwritten apology letter that our lawyers will demand from that Childress moron, Just wait you'll see. Not to mention it's pretty obvious that it was probly South Pittsburg that cryed to the TSSAA. All heartbroken that they're a distant 2nd fiddle in Chattanooga now. Now go scratch losers.

It is not true that if a student goes to a failing school that he is able to attend any passing school. That student is given an option of going to 1 of 2 schools designated by the HCDE. Transportation is also provided for the student to these optional schools. Here is a copy of the transfer pdf.NCLB Transfer PDF.

Thank you for finding that ive been looking NCLB transfer stuff. This is not a recruiting tool in fact its more of a hinderance than anything. Bringing kids raised in the hood and from a school that doesnt have even books for every subject to mix and mingle with these silver spooned kids on the mountain, personally I think its funny, but recruiting tool lol not a chance. None of those 30-40 kids would be on the mountain if Signal had a choice. It's harse but thats just the way of the world. I am a hardcore Signal football fan but you cant tell me that any kids raised on the mountain ever really wanted for anything. Tim was zoned for Howard before he moved to GA and he just came back to the same area he was before. Everyone deserves a education and a chance at a normal life, but I think its starts at fixing those failed schools and cracking down on the crime in those areas. Signal is lucky though other schools have had to take in a 100 or more kids from hood neighborhoods.

I just don't see the TSSAA messing with the federal program of "NO Child Left Behind". If this case gets traction it could open up a huge can of worms throughout the country. This would be a supreme court case, not just a local football player being recruited. And all of this over an after school activity. If he was bused to Sale Creek would this be an issue? If Signal had won its games by 3 points instead of 33, would this be an issue? Lets not forget that every program has their share of issues. Signal is high profile due to their fast success. Are we as citizens, fans, parents going to try to be illegibility cops all over the country or just focus on winning programs? It will be a very slippery slope with this one.

From my understanding Signal has developed a program/ high school due to all the kids now not going to Red Bank, Baylor, McCallie, Notre Dame, Boyd B. , Chattanooga Christian...If the economy gets even worse, they may get even more athletes whose parents can not afford those private schools or just choose to save the money and attend SM.

I have no dog in this fight, just someone with an observation.

We will be completely exonerated and then we will post the handwritten apology letter that our lawyers will demand from that Childress moron, Just wait you'll see. Not to mention it's pretty obvious that it was probly South Pittsburg that cryed to the TSSAA. All heartbroken that they're a distant 2nd fiddle in Chattanooga now. Now go scratch losers.

Its like you get on here looking to pick a fight, when really you just make it seem like every person on the mountain is a fool.

Ignore him "Village Idiot"

Probably some 14 year old student im sure, shouldnt you be in class

Edited by Rebel1012