5-A playoffs (may get very interesting)

GWAVE1

Crawdad...do you feel that in these cases...the fact that many are playing district teams that compete in the 6A postseason has any bearing on the outcome? I don't see the seperation in the majority of the districts.

Yes..Mt.Juliet beat Gallatin this year..but year in year out...both are competitive..not a 6A ALWAYS winning over the 5A...same here in District 10...of the 2 6A teams..1 is competitive..the other couldn't beat a 1A. Your thoughts??

No QBClubPrez, I wasn't reaching for any 5A vs 6a statement. I just thought it was uncanny that nearly every big game in the 5A playoff chase pitted a 5A team on the road vs. a 6A team. It will be interesting to see how they all fare.

Crawdad...do you feel that in these cases...the fact that many are playing district teams that compete in the 6A postseason has any bearing on the outcome? I don't see the seperation in the majority of the districts.

Yes..Mt.Juliet beat Gallatin this year..but year in year out...both are competitive..not a 6A ALWAYS winning over the 5A...same here in District 10...of the 2 6A teams..1 is competitive..the other couldn't beat a 1A. Your thoughts??

That is because Dist 10 STINKS. Everyone knows Clarksville is for basketball not football. I am not taking anything away from the great team that you follow (I have not seen them but have read about them and have friends who have seen them and they say you are great). This is the problem with our stupid T$$AA. 6 classes make for a joke. In your district you have Dickson County who will be 8-2 and have one 6A win and they will get a home playoff game in the 6A playoffs. Them and Brighton are in the same boat and they were last year too and both got knocked out FIRST round. It is not right for teams to sit there and be allowed to rack up wins against lesser teams and it be used to qualify them for a playoff spot. This is the difference in getting to play at home or not. For example: let's say Dickson beat HC next week, they then would be 9-1 and be a possible #1 seed in the 6A bracket. NO SENSE AT ALL! Just T$$AA making sure it gets its $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

That is because Dist 10 STINKS. Everyone knows Clarksville is for basketball not football. I am not taking anything away from the great team that you follow (I have not seen them but have read about them and have friends who have seen them and they say you are great). This is the problem with our stupid T$$AA. 6 classes make for a joke. In your district you have Dickson County who will be 8-2 and have one 6A win and they will get a home playoff game in the 6A playoffs. Them and Brighton are in the same boat and they were last year too and both got knocked out FIRST round. It is not right for teams to sit there and be allowed to rack up wins against lesser teams and it be used to qualify them for a playoff spot. This is the difference in getting to play at home or not. For example: let's say Dickson beat HC next week, they then would be 9-1 and be a possible #1 seed in the 6A bracket. NO SENSE AT ALL! Just T$$AA making sure it gets its $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Before the new playoff pairings, weren't some of these teams together in the old 5-A classification? I know several were in the old 3-A system. I seem to remember Henry Co even getting bumped down to 5-A with a 6-A enrollment but whatever. Same deal with Mt Juliet and district 9-AAA. They play Lebanon and Wilson Central who are 6-A then Beech, Hendersonville, Gallatin, Portland, and Station Camp all 5-A. But here is the thing, while I agree there are way too many classifications for the playoffs, just win and you are in. Very simple. You want a disparity! I went and watched an Antioch team defeat Overton last night for the district title. Now that team at a probable 6-4 is going to be a #1 seed in quad #3 over a 9-1 probable Gallatin. Fair, heck no!! Why because that district is very weak!! But you know what....if Gallatin would have beat Mt Juliet...it is all water under the bridge. So no crying here, just win! We move on and beat whoever is in front of you. Personally I think Tennessee should go to a 4 class system over every sport and let the teams fall where they may.

Before the new playoff pairings, weren't some of these teams together in the old 5-A classification? I know several were in the old 3-A system. I seem to remember Henry Co even getting bumped down to 5-A with a 6-A enrollment but whatever. Same deal with Mt Juliet and district 9-AAA. They play Lebanon and Wilson Central who are 6-A then Beech, Hendersonville, Gallatin, Portland, and Station Camp all 5-A. But here is the thing, while I agree there are way too many classifications for the playoffs, just win and you are in. Very simple. You want a disparity! I went and watched an Antioch team defeat Overton last night for the district title. Now that team at a probable 6-4 is going to be a #1 seed in quad #3 over a 9-1 probable Gallatin. Fair, heck no!! Why because that district is very weak!! But you know what....if Gallatin would have beat Mt Juliet...it is all water under the bridge. So no crying here, just win! We move on and beat whoever is in front of you. Personally I think Tennessee should go to a 4 class system over every sport and let the teams fall where they may.

That is a great proposal. I am all for it. Unfortunately the almighty dollar is not.

You are right. This is a great post. I just get fed up with what happens in the 6A brackets because that is what I follow.

And by the way, I was at the T$$AA meeting when Henry County begged to stay at 5A. I remember all the coaches that were in the room listening to Henry County and I think Morristown complain that they got bumped up because of some smaller schools moving in classifications. We never thought the T$$AA would listen but they did.

Just a quick question. Is it a foregone conclusion that Henry County will be in Quad 4? Or could the TSSAA put them in Quad 3? I'll hang up and listen.

There would have to be 8 5A teams qualify from districts 13-16 for Henry County not to be put in Quad 4. As of last week, there were only 5, and there is no way 3 more will qualify. Henry County is easily the furthest west team from middle Tenneseee, so they will be heading west along with however many Clarksville schools qualify and are needed to make 8 teams.

GWAVE1...I love your posts...but if this is what you remember....then you're memory is not very good.

Just a quick question. Is it a foregone conclusion that Henry County will be in Quad 4? Or could the TSSAA put them in Quad 3? I'll hang up and listen.

Clarksville High and Northeast are also in Quad 4. Also...I don't feel that there are enough 5A teams West of Paris that will qualify. It would take of course 8 to move HC into Quad 3...I don't think there's enough teams to do so.

There would have to be 8 5A teams qualify from districts 13-16 for Henry County not to be put in Quad 4. As of last week, there were only 5, and there is no way 3 more will qualify. Henry County is easily the furthest west team from middle Tenneseee, so they will be heading west along with however many Clarksville schools qualify and are needed to make 8 teams.

If Memphis Hamilton also qualifies...then you might see Clarksville High in Quad 3 and Northeast in Quad 4...Clarksville High is further East than is Northeast.

Apparently you didn't read my post very clearly...I said there is not that big of seperation in the "majority of the districts"....the district in which you follow is of course the exception. Our district "overall" must not stink too terribly because there will be 5 teams qualifying for the postseason. The same holds true for District 9-AAA as Gallatin, Hendersonville, Beech, Mt. Juliet, and Station Camp will all qualify. Can District 6AAA say that? District 11AAA? District 12AAA? District 1AAA?

Now..you want to argue about "watered down" football and too many classes....now we can talk about something that we both agree on! I certainly concur with you on that! However...i'm to the opinion that 8 classes is ENTIRELY too many! D-II should have to play the biggest class of public school in my opinion. Smyrna, Maryville, Whitehaven, Riverdale, Franklin(usually) are every bit as good and competitive as MBA, Father Ryan, Baylor, Ensworth, and BA. Why seperate them?

However....this thread is about the "5A postseason" and I'm gonna try to segway back onto that subject. Coachfoozeball...start a thread about "too many classes"...and I'm right there with you (on your side) to debate the issue!

Edited by QBClubPrez