5-A playoffs (may get very interesting)

GWAVE1

Crawdad requested, well demanded really, that I post this to the 5A playofff thread. It might interest some of the 5A fans:

Here is how the 5A has fared against 6A in 2009 and 2010, seeing as how there probably won't be any more posts in the Crockett thread:

*5A schools had a combined record of 162-267 against 6A schools in 2009 & 2010.

*17 of the 58 5A teams had a winning record over 6A schools in 2009 & 2010

*11 of the 58 5A teams were winless against 6A teams in 2009 & 2010

*Only 1 5A school had 0 losses to 6A teams in 2009 & 2010. That team was Henry County.

Ridgeway recorded the most wins against 6A schools with a record of 10 wins and 6 losses.

Memphis Overton recorded the most losses to 6A schools with a record of 1 and 13.

*While Columbia (the 2009 5A runner up and 2010 5A state champion) had an impressive record against 6A schools, 6-2, the two teams they lost to had a 7-5 and 5-6 record respectively.

*Ooltewah was a 6A school in 2009 and possibly in 2010 but I counted them as a 5A school since that is where they are now classified. That goes for any other team that may have been in a different classification during this timeframe.

Henry County 4 0

Powell 4 2

Mo' West 3 3

Columbia 6 2

Gallatin 5 3

Shelbyville Central 6 2

Dyer County 0 2

Knox West 7 5

Memphis East 4 4

Ooltewah 5 6

Tullahoma 8 6

Glencliff 2 8

Cherokee 0 4

Ridgeway 10 6

Sullivan South 2 2

Hendersonville 8 4

Beech 6 2

Clarksville NE 3 1

Clarksville 1 3

South Doyle 0 6

Springfield 2 2

Lenoir City 3 7

Bartlett 3 11

Station Camp 1 9

Anderson Co. 4 2

Craigmont 8 2

Cleveland 4 6

Tennessee 3 1

Antioch 4 8

Mo' East 0 4

Centennial 1 11

Hamilton 0 10

White County 1 7

Cocke Co. 0 4

Daniel Boone 3 1

Munford 1 3

Knox Catholic 6 6

Jackson N Side 1 1

Kenwood 1 5

Hardin County 0 2

Clarksville NW 2 4

Campbell County 1 5

Knox Central 2 4

Volunteer 0 4

Melrose 4 4

Hillsboro 4 8

Hillwood 2 6

Memphis Overton 1 13

Knox Halls 2 6

Seymour 1 5

Lawrence County 5 1

Cumberland County 0 6

Sullivan Central 0 4

David Crockett 0 4

Walker Valley 1 9

West Creek 1 3

Portland 1 5

Clinton 5 3

Total 162 267

This is a great post with some very interesting information! I wish Henry County had more 6A schools within 100 miles of campus..(that also would travel well) that would be a good match up for the Patriots. HC has no desire to schedule Whitehaven, White Station, or Memphis Central...due to their inability to travel with an acceptable number of fans to our stadium. Unless..they'd agree to come to Paris two years in a row for a "pay of play" scenerio.

Henry County has played Germantown over the years...howbeit normally in the postseason. I believe most of their glory years are behind them due to the increased number of public schools in that area and the popularity of some of the private schools nearby such as St. George's, ECS, Briarcrest Christian, etc.

The Patriots have never played Collierville nor Arlington...I guess they both are viable candidates for games in the future! I know Coach Wiley at Arlington has a great team this year!...that might be a great opportunity for a home & home match up next go around!

This is a great post with some very interesting information! I wish Henry County had more 6A schools within 100 miles of campus..(that also would travel well) that would be a good match up for the Patriots. HC has no desire to schedule Whitehaven, White Station, or Memphis Central...due to their inability to travel with an acceptable number of fans to our stadium. Unless..they'd agree to come to Paris two years in a row for a "pay of play" scenerio.

Henry County has played Germantown over the years...howbeit normally in the postseason. I believe most of their glory years are behind them due to the increased number of public schools in that area and the popularity of some of the private schools nearby such as St. George's, ECS, Briarcrest Christian, etc.

The Patriots have never played Collierville nor Arlington...I guess they both are viable candidates for games in the future! I know Coach Wiley at Arlington has a great team this year!...that might be a great opportunity for a home & home match up next go around!

THSVIKINGS04 is a CoachT friend of mine who excels at data collection and also a very knowledgeable poster,QBClubPrez. He is a Tennessee High Viking and I a Sullivan South Rebel. In the Big 8 Conference our teams are matched against Dobyns-Bennett and Science Hill every year. Our schools are about 1150 and 1000 respectively whereas D-B and S-H go about 1900 and 2400. Our teams can compete most years but the enrollment figures make it an uphill battle most years. How does Henry Co. enrollment figures compare with the 6A teams you play? I could tell from your posture in questioning that you really weren't sure there was a 6A advantage. After seeing these stats I think we would both agree there is a 6A advantage. But after seeing Henry Co.'s record against 6As I can see why you or others in Paris might question that.

THSVIKINGS04 is a CoachT friend of mine who excels at data collection and also a very knowledgeable poster,QBClubPrez. He is a Tennessee High Viking and I a Sullivan South Rebel. In the Big 8 Conference our teams are matched against Dobyns-Bennett and Science Hill every year. Our schools are about 1150 and 1000 respectively whereas D-B and S-H go about 1900 and 2400. Our teams can compete most years but the enrollment figures make it an uphill battle most years. How does Henry Co. enrollment figures compare with the 6A teams you play? I could tell from your posture in questioning that you really weren't sure there was a 6A advantage. After seeing these stats I think we would both agree there is a 6A advantage. But after seeing Henry Co.'s record against 6As I can see why you or others in Paris might question that.

During the last classification reporting...Henry County used the number 1462 as total enrollment ( i think). I actually was looking for the last enrollment figures on the TSSAA website and I couldn't find them last night. I know they were on there at one point...I have seen them before. I actually for some reason believe Rossview High in Clarksville to be the largest 6A school in District 10AAA..somewhat larger than Dickson County...but..without seeing these enrollment numbers...I could be wrong.

When it comes to scheduling however..let me further explain that enrollment is not the sole criteria used for scheduling non-district games. Given the fact that HC plays in a 9 team district....8 games are already scheduled for the Patriots.

The number 1a factor in scheduling non district games...1st is the open dates available..in HC's case it's Week 0, Week 1, and Week 7.

The number 1b factor is a team's ability to challenge and compete. It would be doing our student athletes an injustice to merely schedule a team that does not pose a realistic chance of winning the game..whether at their place...or in Paris.

Next...does the team travel well? This has become a MAJOR issue with us. With the exception of Clarksville High...none of the Clarksville teams have even a mediocre ability to travel well with its fanbase. In short...it's pitiful! Springfield which should be the district's exception...has an equally tough time encouraging their fans to leave Robertson County. Likewise...Dickson County used to be our only hope for a "gate stretching" crowd...however..for whatever reason...times have changed.

We..the Henry County fanbase..are the area's "cash cow"! Whether traveling to the Clarksville schools, inner-city Memphis for the postseason, Jackson for the Liberty game, or even earlier in this season to Beech in Hendersonville....Henry County's traveling fanbase "more times than not" exceeds that of the hosts! As the QBCLubPrez...you can tell that this issue is one that I personally pay attention to.

In years past...HC has scheduled Baylor from Chattanooga and Brentwood Academy...both of which brought better crowds to Paris than any of our current district members. It's roughly 280 miles from Henry County High to Baylor.

Edited by QBClubPrez

During the last classification reporting...Henry County used the number 1462 as total enrollment ( i think). I actually was looking for the last enrollment figures on the TSSAA website and I couldn't find them last night. I know they were on there at one point...I have seen them before. I actually for some reason believe Rossview High in Clarksville to be the largest 6A school in District 10AAA..somewhat larger than Dickson County...but..without seeing these enrollment numbers...I could be wrong.

When it comes to scheduling however..let me further explain that enrollment is not the sole criteria used for scheduling non-district games. Given the fact that HC plays in a 9 team district....8 games are already scheduled for the Patriots.

The number 1a factor in scheduling non district games...1st is the open dates available..in HC's case it's Week 0, Week 1, and Week 7.

The number 1b factor is a team's ability to challenge and compete. It would be doing our student athletes an injustice to merely schedule a team that does not pose a realistic chance of winning the game..whether at their place...or in Paris.

Next...does the team travel well? This has become a MAJOR issue with us. With the exception of Clarksville High...none of the Clarksville teams have even a mediocre ability to travel well with its fanbase. Springfield which should be the district's exception...has an equally tough time encouraging their fans to leave Robertson County. Likewise...Dickson County used to be our only hope for a "gate stretching" crowd...however..for whatever reason...times have changed.

We..the Henry County fanbase..are the area's "cash cow"! Whether traveling to the Clarksville schools, inner-city Memphis for the postseason, Jackson for the Liberty game, or even earlier in this season to Beech in Hendersonville....Henry County's traveling fanbase "more times than not" exceeds that of the hosts! As the QBCLubPrez...you can tell that this issue is one that I personally pay attention to.

I sympathize with your problem. In our conference the farthest travel is 30 minute drive. 3 stadiums are within 15 minutes from ours. Daniel Boone will bring 2000 fans to Death Valley Friday night and they are a 3-5 5A team fighting to make the playoffs. Our stadium seats 7000-8000 and we should have 4 sell outs next year: Dobyns-Bennett, Science Hill, Elizabethton and Gate City, Va. The farthest will be Eliz. at 40 minutes. We have played on the road as well and had as many as the home team in Enka, NC and at Knox West.

Next...does the team travel well? This has become a MAJOR issue with us. With the exception of Clarksville High...none of the Clarksville teams have even a mediocre ability to travel well with its fanbase. In short...it's pitiful! Springfield which should be the district's exception...has an equally tough time encouraging their fans to leave Robertson County. Likewise...Dickson County used to be our only hope for a "gate stretching" crowd...however..for whatever reason...times have changed.

In years past...HC has scheduled Baylor from Chattanooga and Brentwood Academy...both of which brought better crowds to Paris than any of our current district members. It's roughly 280 miles from Henry County High to Baylor.

I know the feeling. A few years ago when Gallatin played the Metro schools from Nashville, the gates were terrible!! Luckily now, the district 9-AAA teams travel well. Lassiter was quoted as saying that this years game with Station Camp was the largest paying crowd at Gallatin in 5 years!

I sympathize with your problem. In our conference the farthest travel is 30 minute drive. 3 stadiums are within 15 minutes from ours. Daniel Boone will bring 2000 fans to Death Valley Friday night and they are a 3-5 5A team fighting to make the playoffs. Our stadium seats 7000-8000 and we should have 4 sell outs next year: Dobyns-Bennett, Science Hill, Elizabethton and Gate City, Va. The farthest will be Eliz. at 40 minutes. We have played on the road as well and had as many as the home team in Enka, NC and at Knox West.

maybe we have found an answer to our problem...we should get our administrators to schedule a home and home with each other in the future!! With these types of crowds...hotel expense for the teams would merely a formality!

I know the feeling. A few years ago when Gallatin played the Metro schools from Nashville, the gates were terrible!! Luckily now, the district 9-AAA teams travel well. Lassiter was quoted as saying that this years game with Station Camp was the largest paying crowd at Gallatin in 5 years!

If the Bison can win their next two games and finish 5-5, we could see another big gate at Green Wave Stadium!!

Hey Crawdad, just curious if you could give me a run down of what kind of offenses each of those Big 8 teams run and some of those other upper east Tenn schools like Morristown West and East.

Dobyns-Bennett: Ga. Tech under center QB , FB 2WB all dive/speed wide running/QB option with 5-6 big pass plays/game

Science Hill : spread shotgun 1 RB/4WR some 5 WR very balanced run/throw

Tennessee High: fun and gun a lot of 5 wide some single back 4 wide throw it a lot 30-40/game

Sullivan South: spread with multiple formations use 2 backs 1 or empty , occasional TE run:pass 2:1

Daniel Boone: split backs, TE under center or shotgun also pro set I formation run:pass 4:1

Volunteer: Pro set I formation some spread balanced run pass

Sullivan Central: wing T

Crockett single wing/wing T lots of pre-snap shifting

Mo East and West are out of conference for me. I have seen film clips but do not remember what their base is.

Hope that's what you are asking for.

Dobyns-Bennett: Ga. Tech under center QB , FB 2WB all dive/speed wide running/QB option with 5-6 big pass plays/game

Science Hill : spread shotgun 1 RB/4WR some 5 WR very balanced run/throw

Tennessee High: fun and gun a lot of 5 wide some single back 4 wide throw it a lot 30-40/game

Sullivan South: spread with multiple formations use 2 backs 1 or empty , occasional TE run:pass 2:1

Daniel Boone: split backs, TE under center or shotgun also pro set I formation run:pass 4:1

Volunteer: Pro set I formation some spread balanced run pass

Sullivan Central: wing T

Crockett single wing/wing T lots of pre-snap shifting

Mo East and West are out of conference for me. I have seen film clips but do not remember what their base is.

Hope that's what you are asking for.

That was exactly what what I was looking for. I really thought there was more running smashmouth style up there but I guess I was wrong.

I wouldn't mind that. For a school that wasn't going anywhere, the student section had a large following.

I would much rather play a Antioch or Beech/Hendersonville in week 11 but it may come down to us having to win at Gallatin. If Sc doesn't fumble right before the half and it's 7-7, what do you think the outcome would be. Not saying that the Bison would win but I think that was a major play in the game.